Cuba Gooding, Jr. ("Jerry Maguire")
31%
Robin Williams ("Good Will Hunting")
10%

Total votes: 49

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

If ever there was a category that hammered home the argument that a year's best should be decided upon at least five years later, it was this one. Hold the voting after no one any longer said, "Show me the money!"
IMO, in terms of decision (not in terms of quality of work), there were more valuable performances that year. I found Woods´perfomance accurate. I always like Woods.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Macy should've won in '96. Cuba Gooding, Jr.'s win, I really don't know why that happened. And James Woods was just an embarrassment. You guys were saying that Ed Harris' performance in The Hours was a shameful choice (I disagree) but truly, Woods was positively Razzie-worthy.

Edited By flipp525 on 1186926637
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

William H. Macy gave my favorite performance that year in 'Fargo'. It's not supporting by a longshot though.
"How's the despair?"
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I said on another board that Woods gave what I'd consider one of the five worst nominated performances of the 90's. Gooding's character at least made some sense as a cartoon.

I think Armin Meuller-Stahl was the only one of that lineup who even deserved a nomination.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Hustler wrote:Looking back, Gooding Jr was the worst option that year. Any of the other four (Macy, Mueller Stahl, Norton and Woods) was more oscar deserving.

Hey, you're talking about the star of Daddy Day Care.

If ever there was a category that hammered home the argument that a year's best should be decided upon at least five years later, it was this one. Hold the voting after no one any longer said, "Show me the money!"

Still, Woods would have been a worse selection.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Looking back, Gooding Jr was the worst option that year. Any of the other four (Macy, Mueller Stahl, Norton and Woods) was more oscar deserving.
Dennis Bee
Graduate

Post by Dennis Bee »

Of all of the categories in this decade (or maybe any decade), these choices are by far the least objectionable over all. There's nobody here whose choice I would violently oppose. Would I have voted for all of them? No. I would not have voted for Palance (Lerner), Hackman (more of a strategic choice; I would have given Supp. to Pacino, in a far more deserving performance than the one he won for, allowing Actor to go to Denzel Washington), Jones (Fiennes, but a great field that year), Spacey (I was pretty neutral about the category in '95); in '97 I was just glad Burt Reynolds didn't win; Robin Williams hadn't yet entered his "Patch Adams" period and seemed overdue.

But I can't vote for a "worst" here, and that has NEVER happened before.
Archie Leach
Graduate

Post by Archie Leach »

I actually almost went with Spacey, but then switched to Gooding Jr.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

filmgabber wrote:I'm not sure if I agree with you Franz Ferdinand on Tommy Lee Jones' competition. I thought Leonardo DiCaprio was darn good that year and should have won.

I actually think you are agreeing with Franz Ferdinand. This poll is for the worst winner they've chosen.

Leo or Ralph should've taken home that Oscar.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
filmgabber
Temp

Post by filmgabber »

I'm not sure if I agree with you Franz Ferdinand on Tommy Lee Jones' competition. I thought Leonardo DiCaprio was darn good that year and should have won.
"Winners make the rules. Losers live by them" - the only good line from a horrible movie
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

I went with Tommy Lee Jones because of the competition he breezed by for a commanding, but hardly Oscar-worthy performance. Gooding Jr. was second for a performance I can't remember outside "show me the money". Kline over Phoenix was flabbergasting in retrospect, even though I piss myself laughing at his hammy performance. Williams was a good example of delayed reward, while Palance was truly a "huh??".
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Gooding Jr., who´s gone with the wind
newland
Graduate

Post by newland »

I never understood how they could possibly think Cuba Gooding Jr was a better actor than Edward Norton. Anyway, I really hate Tommy Lee Jones winning over the more deserving Fiennes, Postlethwaite, DiCaprio and Malkovich.
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

I actually like Gooding's performance. Its not great acting, but I'd only put forward Landau and maybe Hackman as 'great' acting out of the gentlemen named here. Cuba's win was refreshing - a likeable on and off-screen personality recognised for a bright comic performance, and certainly a better choice that year than Ed Norton's mannered twitching.

I voted Spacey.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I think I voted for Kevin Spacey, for similar reasons that I chose Geoffrey Rush in the Actor poll. But I wish I could've voted for Palance and Gooding too. And Joe Pesci, who just played a variation on the same character he always plays. I'm glad he seems to have gone away.

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”