R.I.P. Betty White (not the famous one)

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

In Italy we say that these things bring good luck to the victim of the mistake (or to the target of the joke).

More than twenty years ago the prestigious French newspaper Le Monde announced to the world the suicide of Monica Vitti (a name who doesnt mean anything to Americans, but an important Italian actress, very famous in all Europe). It did it in a very French way, with florid sentences like "Monica Vitti has chosen to say goodbye to life, and we haven't been able to hold her here", and a detailed analysis not only of her career, but also of the psychological reasons of her tragic gesture - approaching old age, too many recent flops, etc.

Needless to say, Vitti was very much alive. Le Monde had been the victim of a nasty joke - the need to "close" the newspaper on time hadn't given them the time to properly check that false information. They sent flowers to her, wrote that they were sorry, etc.

I'm not sure if this brought much luck to the actress though - she's unfortunately very sick with a terrible case of Alzheimer. But certainly still alive.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Apparently it was a mistake
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Betty White was on the news today (MSNBC), but because she's going to be hosting a new Candid Camera-type series.

Only an idiot would think joking about someone's death as an April Fool's gag was funny.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

You mean this Betty White?

http://www.27east.com/news....-Age-87

I posted this on there too. I doubt CNN would report on this lady, especially 3 months after the fact...

Edited By MovieWes on 1301682988
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

MovieWes wrote:I posted this on Cinema Super Friends and you fell for it, lol!!!

I mean, you posted this literally 2 minutes after I posted it on there and Dan Gaertner said he saw it on CNN! You even commented on it there right after I posted it!
I just checked and some other Betty White died. I heard it on CNN before your post came up Wes.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I posted this on Cinema Super Friends and you fell for it, lol!!!

I mean, you posted this literally 2 minutes after I posted it on there and Dan Gaertner said he saw it on CNN (because he was in on it too)! You even commented on it there right after I posted it!

Edited By MovieWes on 1301682695
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I didn't post this as a joke. ''Killing'' somebody off is NOT my idea of a joke at all. I actually heard it on CNN.

So is it a hoax? If so, Thank God.

Edited By Reza on 1301682326
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Greg wrote:I do think the joke was in bad taste. Now, an April Fool's post about a Betty White sex tape would have been funny.
It would even fool Betty White.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Yeah, this is just tasteless.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

What a stuoid "joke."
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

I do think the joke was in bad taste. Now, an April Fool's post about a Betty White sex tape would have been funny.

Edited By Greg on 1301679349
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Betty White isn't going to visit this site to see what Reza came up with for April Fools day.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

My mistake.

If Betty White can joke about it, and she will, then it is remotely funny.
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I'm not "losing my mind". I'm stating an opinion.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Let's not lose our minds. If Betty White can laugh at it and I'm sure she can, then it is remotely funny. She's not dead. I don't see it anywhere.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “The People”