Starring S. Youth

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Thanks! The theater was built in 1906, was destroyed by a fire and rebuilt the following year. So although the house is 99 years old, the city celebrated it's 100th birthday earlier in the year. It was a popular stopover in between New York and Chicago. Helen Hayes, W.C. Fields, and the Barrymores all performed at the Mishler.

In the sixties, the owners almost tore it down to make room for a parking lot. Public activism saved it from the wrecking ball, and the city bought it out. It's thrived ever since. Quite an accomplishment considering the downtown area is all but desolate.

Seating is just less than a thousand, which is on the lower end of Broadway theaters, I believe. However, at some point the upper balcony (where I took the first photo) had the seats removed to make room for lights and other techie doo-dads. Either they weren't able to afford a proper control room or they couldn't build one without compromising the theater. I'll have to ask about that. Anyway, I'd estimate that balcony would have held another 250 seats.

The company puts on two plays and two musicals a year. Musicals often sell out the house; the plays bring in about 500 a night. Last night was a free student preview, and about 50 or so high school and college students came in to watch. They were great, and it was a nice hump to get over before the REAL performance tonight in front of an audience ten times as large.

One problem with being the straight man in a wacky farce, though. No matter how appealing and charismatic I try to be, there ain't no way I'm getting the cheers, hoots and hollers the more overtly funny characters get during curtain call. I guess I'm a real actor now. See my bruised ego?

And speaking of bruises... my wife has tickets for Friday's performance. Wonder how she'll like seeing her husband get seriously hit on by two women. And kiss one of them on stage. :p
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Wow, I am so jealous Sonic. Cherish getting to perform in such a gorgeous theatre. Out of curiosity, how many seats does that theatre hold? It look gigantic!

Tripp
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

It's a beautiful theater, love the chandelier! Wish I could be there for opening night! Break a leg!
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

And - in sloppy work clothes because we're building the stage - And - in sloppy work clothes because we're building the stage - this is me.

Hi, everybody.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Coolness. Does it look like Broadway? It feels like it to me.

Here's a shot from the stage.

Here's the chandelier.

Here's the box office. (Reduced the photo too much.)
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Comes through fine for me, Sonic.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

dws1982 wrote:In your account, Sonic, there's a menu above every picture (move, edit, delete, share).

You can choose edit, and then resize them from there, although it is pretty easy to reduce it even smaller than you meant if you click through it too fast.

That's exactly what I was doing. The problem was the computer. I was at the library.

Can you get a normal sized photo now? If you can, let me know soon. I post a few more, including one of me. Anyway, this is the venue I'll be performing at tomorrow.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p11/gman8/Picture119.jpg
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

In your account, Sonic, there's a menu above every picture (move, edit, delete, share).

You can choose edit, and then resize them from there, although it is pretty easy to reduce it even smaller than you meant if you click through it too fast.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I signed up for a Photobucket account. I was able to set up an album, but the individual photos are much too large. I can resize them and they're fine when I look at them in photobucket. But any link I provide will take you to the pictures in their original, humongous size. Am I missing something? Is Photobucket unable to help me here? Or must I resize the photos before I send them to Photobucket? Has anything I asked made any sense?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Or everyone else can join the UAADB group on MySpace!
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

You could set up an account with Photobucket, Sonic. It's free, and user friendly.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Awright, awright. It only works on my laptop. Should've known. I'll think of something else.

Thanks, Damien.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Ditto.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Even with the link, I still get Welcome To G Mail.

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I edited your post, Sonic, to make it just a link that people can click on.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “General Off-Topic”