Starring S. Youth

Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Congrats on the preview and good luck tonight!
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

FilmFan720 wrote:Don't worry Sonic. These things always have a way of pulling themselves together miraculously. As a former theatre major and current drama teacher, I have seen some amazing things happen in the last week, even with shows that never had a complete run-through before opening night!
Ain't it the truth? :p

We had our student preview last night, and it was the best. One hour before we started, we were desperately staging the final number, and 5 minutes before the number - yeah, during the show - there were frantic adjustments being made. And it all went off swimmingly.

Tonight's opening night. I'm gonna dance and ham it up like a big fool. Can't wait!
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

I'm sorry dude. That sucks.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Yeah, well...
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

Ditto Film Fan--I was a theatre major and a drama teacher as well as he, and believe me, it will be "all right on the night". At the stage you and your cast and crew are at, at the moment--which is frustrated and fearful--believe me , this makes everyone work harder for the common good. Directors love this period--they have been ready for awhile( with luck) and he/she has been waiting for that moment when you all have the same commitment. The audience will- eventually- love it. If they have done "Into The Woods",(!) you'll be OK.
It's a deceptive play: looks easy, is not! Keep your pecker up! Work hard.
Cam
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Don't worry Sonic. These things always have a way of pulling themselves together miraculously. As a former theatre major and current drama teacher, I have seen some amazing things happen in the last week, even with shows that never had a complete run-through before opening night!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

This is going to be a disaster.

The show is next week, and nothing is ready. Our set isn't complete, the props aren't ready, some of the puppets aren't finished yet, the blocking still hasn't been worked out. We haven't had a single complete run-through yet. I think the director took on more than he can handle.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

There is no period, Cam. I'm so glad to hear that Sonic suddenly needs someone to stand up for him. If he'd taken more than a slight offense to it, he would have said something himself. It was completely unnecessary for you to go off on me, Cam, because Sonic would have done so if it had really offended him like you claim.

And before you try to start acting as "peacekeeper", you need to take a step back and realize that YOU started this whole mess. YOU were the one who made a bigger deal out of the issue than was necessary. YOU exacerbated the issue and did more to sidetrack and derail this conversation than anyone. So, before you start playing the "savior" in the matter, you need to check yourself and your words and realize you had more to do with this mess than I or Italiano did.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1192459838
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I'm so nostalgic! This takes me back to my youth, when my parents were going through custody hearings!

By the way, cam, this theatre company did do a production of "Into the Woods" back in 1993. I agree. Time for another Sondheim.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

Time , gentlemen.
I think the subject of tact (or hypocrisy?) like should-you rejoice-no-matter-what, etc. can be put to bed. I took offence at Wes' insensitivity and caled him on it. Sonic ageed. Period.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Sonic Youth wrote:LOL! It's not enough that I said Italiano was right. It's not enough that my prior post ultimately agrees with everything he says. He can't see that, in fact his answer is evidence he didn't even read it. He can only see the part that respectfully has a differing viewpoint from him and gets his blood pressure all churning.

Glad to see there's at least one person here who could never be over-sensitive, though.

(Drives me to suicide! :laugh:)
You must agree with me 100% :)
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

LOL! It's not enough that I said Italiano was right. It's not enough that my prior post ultimately agrees with everything he says. He can't see that, in fact his answer is evidence he didn't even read it. He can only see the part that respectfully has a differing viewpoint from him and gets his blood pressure all churning.

Glad to see there's at least one person here who could never be over-sensitive, though.

(Drives me to suicide! :laugh:)
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Sonic Youth wrote: I'd be delighted for him, and I wouldn't risk bringing him down. I'd give my opinions on Lloyd Weber a 24 or 48 hour moratorium, let him have his moment, and say "You know, I think this is fantastic for you, but I'm not fan of his work at all. Still, it's terrific and I'm happy for you." Maybe this is American, I think it's probably more Victorian, and if it's being overly-sensitive, I'd rather be over-sensitive than risk putting even the slightest damper in his mood.

This is not being sensitive - it's being idiot. Yes, idiot (and I would never think I'd say this to YOU) - pure and simple. This 24 or 48 hour moratorium is ridiculous of course, and I think too highly of you to believe you dont realize it - you'd just delay your friend's disappointment, which is probably even worse. And why should he be disappointed by the way? It's just an opinion; he should know that everything - including, to follow your example, Andrew Lloyd Webber - has its fans and its detractors, so why should he be surprised to know someone who doesn't like him? It happens - it's life, and he should be prepared to it. And at the same time he should be more self-confident: if he likes Andrew Lloyd Webber enough to appear in a Lloyd Webber musical, I don't think someone else's (even a close friend's) honest opinion should put him into a deep crisis or make him doubt Lloyd Webber's value. If this happens, he's not sensitive, he's oversensitive.

This kind of formal politeness is wrong enough in real life - but here, on the internet, it's even more grotesque. You don't know personally Oscar Guy, you rarely even agree with him on anything, still his view on this musical suddenly offends you and drives you on the verge of suicide! Please... What should I say then? I've been insulted all the time by him and others on this board for years - and I never for one moment cared. I know what I am and I know what I say and I know that what I say is rational - American mediocrity can't hurt me.

And I'm sick and tired of this typically American hypocrisy - it's just too fake for my tastes. And this from people who don't think twice before attacking another country or massacring crowds. Be more honest, think less of "tact" - you'll be better people, and your "sensitive" nation will have some hopes.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sonic Youth wrote:By the way, Reza's been AWOL for awhile. Is he okay?
He's fine. He has a new job and a new house which are keeping him busy. As of ten days ago he hadn't yet set up his computer at home. He will re-join us as soon as he catches his breath.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

By the way, Reza's been AWOL for awhile. Is he okay?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “General Off-Topic”