R.I.P. Al Alberts of The Four Aces

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Their music might be considered schlocky today and it's easy to see why rock 'n' roll burst through at the same time as their (and the Four Lads', the Four Freshmen', the Ames Brothers', etc.) heyday, but it does sum up the tone of the early Eisenhower era, and there is something undeniably sweet and reassuring about it.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Sing along, everyone!

Love is a Many Splendored Thing

Three Coins in a Fountain

Fifties pop star Al Alberts dies
BBC News

US singer Al Alberts, a former member of the hit 1950s pop group The Four Aces, has died at the age of 87.

Alberts led the quartet to success with number one singles Three Coins in the Fountain and Love is a Many Splendored Thing. Both songs were written for Hollywood movies and won the Academy Awards for best song in 1955 and 1956.

The group had other US million-selling singles with their debut (It's No) Sin and Tell Me Why.

Alberts, born Al Albertini, was also known as the host of a long-running TV talent show host in Philadelphia. The show helped launch the careers of performers such as Sister Sledge and Teddy Pendergrass, according to Alberts' website.

Chris Alberts told the Associated Press news agency his father died on Friday at his home in Arcadia, Florida. The apparent cause of death was complications from kidney failure, he said.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1259455297
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “Broadcast Media”