[NE] Nomination Elim Game ('79- OSCARGUY)

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

rain Bard wrote:I believe we agreed early on that the Academy's official reminder list, while a good starting point for determining eligibility of films for the years it's available on-line, should not be the last word, as many films released for a week in Los Angeles by small distributors are not submitted to the Academy, and that this technicality should not be held against them. Esther Kahn in 2002 and Yi Yi in 2000 are two examples of films in this situation.
We did.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

I believe we agreed early on that the Academy's official reminder list, while a good starting point for determining eligibility of films for the years it's available on-line, should not be the last word, as many films released for a week in Los Angeles by small distributors are not submitted to the Academy, and that this technicality should not be held against them. Esther Kahn in 2002 and Yi Yi in 2000 are two examples of films in this situation.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Big Magilla wrote:
Sabin wrote:Esther Kahn is 2000, isn't it?

In France, not in the U.S. It's eligible.

Actually it wasn't on the Academy's list of eligible films that year. See here. Not suggesting that that we knock out the nominations it's recieved--that's not my call, and I don't much care either way..

Surprisingly, The Son's Room was eligible. Might have done some things differently if I had known that.

Edited By dws1982 on 1259350148
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Arnaud Desplechin (Esther Kahn) replaces Roman Polanski in the category of Best Director.
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I. Preserve Meryl Streep's hilarious and heartfelt work in Adaptation (for which she should've won the Best Supporting Actress Oscar).

III. Add Minority Report to Visual Effects.

I think Julianne Moore does a fine job in Far From Heaven, but it doesn't touch her devastating turn in The Hours. Any actress who can pull off two nominations the same year for playing two 1950's housewives is not a "limited" performer.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Everyone stopped doing 2 in Groups 2 and 3, so I guess we decided to do that? But there's not much left.

Group 1: The Powerpuff Girls replaces Ice Age
Group 2: While I like Burn It Blue, as performed on the Oscars, I cannot decide which of the wonderful songs from 8 Women to include, so I'll just preserve Burn It Blue
Group 3: And, a little guilty pleasure of mine, Clockstoppers will replace Attack of the Clones in Visual Effects
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Group 1-
I have a feeling someone's going to do something stupid, so: Preserve Adrien Brody in Best Actor.

Group 2-
Adapted Screenplay. Out with Adaptation, which is a very inventive, well-written original screenplay. I would rescue The Pianist, which was replaced by About Schmidt--a hateful movie and screenplay, and barely and adaptation--but I used my rescue earlier.

So I'll replace it with The Rules of Attraction, probably the best possible Bret Easton Ellis adaptation. It's insane and over the top, but that's about right considering the source.

Group 3-
Add The Pianist to Sound Effects. And that was Undisputed I put in there earlier. The results page says The Rules of Attraction.
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

The year's best female performance was IMO Isabelle Huppert "The Piano Teacher". I was always amazed by how many fans Julianne Moore's performance has. I never thought that she was anything more than good.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

GROUP 1: Well, I will replace Catherine Zeta-Jones' static and dull performance (in a role I thought impossible to be static and dull) with Emily Mortimer's heartbreaking work in Lovely & Amazing.

GROUP 2: Preserve "Lose Yourself"

GROUP 3: Add Solaris to visual effects
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Big Magilla wrote:Of course now someone will obliterate Catherine Zeta-Jones' nomination by anointing the over-rated Clarkson as well.
I'd happily live without Zeta-Jones but please don't put ideas in their heads! Clarkson was intolerable in that film.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

They complain about Meryl Streep's accents, but no one has more annoying accents up her sleeve than Moore, especially in tandem with Todd Haynes.

I don't like Meryl Streep's menopausal bitch accent in The Hours.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Oh, no! It's the usually annoying Renee Zellweger who gave the year's second best performance next to Diane Lane, not Julianne Moore who is the annoying one with that phony accent in Far From Heaven.

They complain about Meryl Streep's accents, but no one has more annoying accents up her sleeve than Moore, especially in tandem with Todd Haynes.

Far From Heaven is a beautifully shot and scored film with two fine performances by Dennis Quaid and Dennis Haysbert, but not Moore's and not Patricia Clarkson's whose wan imitation of Agnes Moorehead is even more annoying than Moore's.

Of course now someone will obliterate Catherine Zeta-Jones' nomination by anointing the over-rated Clarkson as well.
jowy_jillia
Graduate

Post by jowy_jillia »

1: Well everyone calm down. I will rescue Moore so I can remove the annoying performance by Renée Zellweger in Chicago

2: Preserve The Pianist in Film Editing

3: Preserve Frida in Best Make Up
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I KNEW I should have preserved Julianne Moore!
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

The list of performances this decade which I think are more brilliant than Moore's is endless...

Return to “Other Film Discussions”