65%
Claude Rains - Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
18%

Total votes: 17

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Re: Best Supporting Actor 1939

Post by ITALIANO »

I'm not sure that Beau Geste is that forgotten today - it's often referred to as a classic of its kind - and I believe that both Beau Geste and Juarez were, in 1939, big, important productions - the crowd scenes in Juarez are actually rather impressive even by today's standards.

What's closer to the truth is that Donlevy and Aherne are sadly forgotten today, though both were actually very good, and reliable, actors. Donlevy plays a cliched villain in his movie, but does it well, though of course it's not an exactly profound role; and Brian Aherne has the most interesting character in sight in Juarez, which is nominally Paul Muni's movie. But Muni is at his most predictably solemn here - that he wasn't Oscar nominated says alot about his falling star - and Aherne gets to play Emperor Maximilian, a fascinating historical figure (for Italians as well, because before going to Mexico he was the Austrian ruler of Milan, and a good ruler by the way). This Austrian prince who found himself caught in the chaos of a far, complicated country he couldn't, despite his idealism and his good intentions, really understand is objectively a dream role - it would deserve a better movie, but for an American film of the 30s Juarez, while definitely not very deep, is rather well-documented; and Aherne gives his Emperor the required dignity.

But it's certainly between the two great character actors from the better-known movies. As great as Rains is, we know that we have at least two better chances to vote for him; by contrast, MItchell fell off the Academy's radar in the 40s (it's also true that he never had a role as good as Doc in Stagecoach), which is another good reason to vote for him here.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Great list of nominees. Four of them would be deserving winners, and the 5th, Harry Carey doesn't make the cut because he has so little to do in Mr. Smith Goes To Washington. But he is still a wonderful presence in the picture.

Brian Donlevy was a wonderful, memorably gruff actor and a terrific villain in Beau Geste. He was also apparently also an early Method actor because he went out of his way to be nasty to the picture's leading men off-camerz and Gary Cooper, Ray Milland and Robert Preston hated him -- which was his plan all along to heighten the mutual antagonism of their characters. He's even better a year later yb The Great McGinty and deserved a Best Actor nomination for that STurges film.

Brian Aherne gives a heartbreaking performance in Juarez and his beautiful underplaying outshines the bravura of his co-stars. You can also make the case for him being a lead

Claude Rains had one of his best roles in Mr. Smith, completely believable both as James Stewart's hero and as his nemesis.

But this was Thomas Mitchell's year. One of the greatest of all Hollywood character actors, he is gives a pitch-perfect performance in Stage coach, a nimble balancing act with his character not being either too pathetic or too Good, but completely human. He gets my vote.

My Own Top 5:
1. Thomas Mitchell in Stagecoach
2. Frank Morgan in The Wizard of Oz
3. Brian Aherne in Juarez
4. Claude Rains in Mr. Smith Goes To Washington
5. George Bancroft in Stagecoach
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

What remains of my ten-year-old self is outraged that Bert Lahr isn't on the list.

It's strange how, in a year of such all-time-famous movies, a couple of acting nominations went to considerably less-remembered films, like Babes in Arms, Juarez and, to a lesser extent, Beau Geste.

Brian Aherne gives a dignified, pain-filled performance, and easily emerges with acting honors in his largely dreary film.

Brian Donlevy, a face most recognize even if the name eludes them, is effective as usual in an enjoyable if shallow part.

Harry Carey brings a sparkle to his role, but it's clearly a smallish part, running a distant second to Claude Rains in the same film. You have to figure a lifetime of affection went into the vote.

Claude Rains, one of the great unique presences in the early decades of film, has a strong role in Mr. Smith, though I don't think even he found a way to make his last minute conversion credible. Still, I'd consider him, if I didn't have more than one excellent additional opportunity to do so not far ahead.

But this year I have to go with Thomas Mitchell. As Magilla documents, he was everywhere in 1939 -- both in movies acclaimed at the time, and in some (like Only Angels Have Wings) whose critical cache has appreciated over time -- and in each he lent his characteristically human touch. The old drunk coot could have been insufferable in other hands (and largely was, with Bing Crosby in the '66 remake), but Mitchell brings humor and unsentimental pathos to the role. On career points and on performance, Thomas Mitchell gets the nod.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

ksrymy wrote:His Captain Louis Renault may be his most famous role but his Mr. Smith Goes to Washington role is much deeper and fully-rounded I believe.
Although as Captain Louis Renault he participates in one of my all-time favorite dialog exchanges. "I'm shocked, shocked to see that gambling is going on here!" "Your winnings, sir." "Oh! Thank you, very much."
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Reza wrote:
ksrymy wrote:Claude Rains is probably one of the most deserving non-winners in Academy history (and if he doesn't win here, he'll surely win for Notorious) and I think this is his best role.
Don't you think his best role was in Casablanca? I think he'll easily win for that instead.
His Captain Louis Renault may be his most famous role but his Mr. Smith Goes to Washington role is much deeper and fully-rounded I believe.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It is atwo-horse race, but the other nominees aren't exactly chopped liver.

Despite its title, Brian Aherne's Maximilian is the central character of Juarez, which was called Juarez only because Paul Muni had a stipulation in his Warner Bros. conract that his characters' names appear in the title of his films. Aherne is the standout in this hodgepodge of a film in which Bette Davis chews the secenery, John Garfield is miscast and Muni just mopes around. It was a good performance in a so-so film. Not Oscar worthy, but not bad as an also-ran.

New York born, law school educated Harry Carey found his niche as one of the biggest stars of silent westerns. Still in starring roles in the 1930s, his President of the Senate in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington was a prime example of what a great actor can do with a little part. Not Oscar worthy, but it's nice to see this fine actor singled out by his peers if only this one time.

Brian Donlevy's menacing Sgt. Markoff in Beau Geste was one of the screen's great hissable villains.

Claude Rains was one of Hollywood's most valuable character actors and his corrupt senator in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington is one of his best, a timeless charactizaton.

This, however, was Thomas Mitchell's year. Not only is his Doc Boone in Stagecoach one of his best performances, so is his Kid Dabb in the same year's Only Angels Have Wings. Add ot that strong roles in two of the year's most high profile hits, Gone With the Wind and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and the guy is undeniable.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

ksrymy wrote:Claude Rains is probably one of the most deserving non-winners in Academy history (and if he doesn't win here, he'll surely win for Notorious) and I think this is his best role.
Don't you think his best role was in Casablanca? I think he'll easily win for that instead.

Voted here for Thomas Mitchell.

My picks for 1939:

John Barrymore, Midnight
Cedric Hardwicke, The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Thomas Mitchell, Stagecoach
Claude Rains, Mr Smith Goes to Washington
Brian Donlevy, Beau Geste

The 6th Spot: Frank Morgan, The Wizard of Oz
ksrymy
Adjunct

Best Supporting Actor 1939

Post by ksrymy »

Complete two-horse race here.

Both Brians can be eliminated and Harry Carey just got swept up in all the nominations for Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

Thomas Mitchell is both funny and touching as the perpetually-drunk Doc Boone. He doesn't allow the character to turn into the stereotypical Old West drunkard that is all too common in films and I commend him highly for that, but I think he falls short to Claude Rains.

Claude Rains is probably one of the most deserving non-winners in Academy history (and if he doesn't win here, he'll surely win for Notorious) and I think this is his best role. You can sense the suppressed rage behind his façade of a career and his calm, unnerving requests for Smith to cede the floor to him are lovely and perfect. Rains does more than play the typical corrupt congressman who screams and yells (à la Broderick Crawford). He creates a fully-realized character and for that he gets my enthusiastic vote although I expect Mitchell to win here seeing the buzz surrounding him in our 1937 poll.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”