BAFTA Longlists

For the films of 2022
Okri
Tenured

Re: BAFTA Longlists

Post by Okri »

Colman missed out at BAFTA for The Father and The Lost Daughter, so it's not super unheard of. But Ackie above her? Whoa. Also no Cartoon Saloon with My Father's Dragon in animated film.

Super happy that Harris Dickinson made it. I think he's probably De Leon's equal in the movie.

I haven't seen All Quiet on the Western Front but yeah, I think we have to consider it as a second/third tier candidate at this point. I also wonder if Women Talking really fumbled with it's release strategy - will it get anything outside of adapted screenplay?
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sabin wrote: In her case, it has to do with her career (and lack of any nominations) as well the fact that she's almost unrecognizable in the role (always a plus).
Plus she has some very showy/angry scenes, and then gets to turn sympathetic in the final reel -- another long-popular trope for supporting players.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

OscarGuy wrote
The biggest disappointment of the misses for me (couldn't care less about no Hugh Jackman or Colman or some of the others), but Stephanie Hsu not making the list over Jamie Lee Curtis is sad. Hsu does terrific work and I'm afraid her being ignored is because she isn't "famous" enough.
I haven't seen The Son or Empire of Light so I can't weigh in on those. I also need to see Everything Everywhere All At Once again to more weigh in on the performance, but I don't think Stephanie Hsu isn't getting in the conversation because she isn't famous enough. I think there's just a narrative around Jamie Lee Curtis that is taking hold. Sometimes these pan out, sometimes they don't. In her case, it has to do with her career (and lack of any nominations) as well the fact that she's almost unrecognizable in the role (always a plus). Best Supporting Actress seems to be super wide open this year so anything could still happen, including Hsu making it in as well.

If I were Curtis' reps, I would advise her to stfu about the "nepo baby" discourse. Not that it will cost her any votes in the Academy.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The biggest disappointment of the misses for me (couldn't care less about no Hugh Jackman or Colman or some of the others), but Stephanie Hsu not making the list over Jamie Lee Curtis is sad. Hsu does terrific work and I'm afraid her being ignored is because she isn't "famous" enough.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

OscarGuy wrote
Also look at Avatar's numbers. 3 citations. That's really bad for a film that was supposed to be this major technical marvel. There are also several prominent actors missing here like Olivia Colman who would have an in with this group if no one else.
Colman's absence is a very big deal. This is her home turf.

I don't see Avatar's absence as that big of a deal. It went into the season as a big question mark that nobody really took that seriously and it's largely over-performed every expectation. If it starts missing guilds over here and becomes a larger trend, that's cause for concern.

Good for Emma Thompson. I haven't seen Matilda The Musical, but any mention for her performance in Good Luck to You, Leo Grande is well-deserved from an actress whom I'm astonished hasn't been back to the Academy Awards since the first ceremony I watched back in 1996.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Also look at Avatar's numbers. 3 citations. That's really bad for a film that was supposed to be this major technical marvel. There are also several prominent actors missing here like Olivia Colman who would have an in with this group if no one else.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

That is not a good tally at all for The Fabelmans. Maybe it won't end up as the nomination leader.

All Quiet on the Western Front had another good day. Maybe we've been underestimating this one?
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Only potential acting nominee from Women Talking is the man crying.
anonymous1980
Laureate

BAFTA Longlists

Post by anonymous1980 »

Click here.

Biggest shocker: No Spielberg in Director.

Return to “95th Academy Awards”