R.I.P. Markie Post

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: R.I.P. Markie Post

Post by Sabin »

What an instantly morbid thread.

I had no idea one of the Raymond children committed suicide.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:On an unrelated note, is The Dick Van Dyke show the oldest TV show with at least one of the cast members still alive?
Nope. For one, Dr. Kildare starring Richard Chamberlain beats The Dick Van Dyke Show by three days, having premiered on Sep 28, 1961 to Van Dyke's Oct 1, 1961.

There are at least two from 1958 - Lassie from which stars June Lockhart and Jon Provost are still alive and The Donna Reed Show from which co-stars Shelley Fabares and Paul Petersen are still with us.

Co-stars Elinor Donahue and Billy Gray from 1954's Father Knows Best are very much alive as are Sherry Jackson, who was one of the original stars of The Danny Thomas Show in 1953 and Angela Cartright who joined the show in 1957.

The oldest, though, is probably Patty McCormack who played Peggy Wood's niece Ingeborg on (I Remember) Mama from 1949-1957.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I don't know that Designing Women would count. The main cast has only lost two, Dixie Carter and Meshach Taylor. Delta Burke, Annie Potts, and Jean Smart are still going. And the Larry Sanders Show also wouldn't really count. Garry Shandling and Rip Torn are dead, but Wallace Langham, Jeffrey Tambor, and Penny Johnson are still with us.

Three's Company predates Night Court and is also something of a conundrum. Three of the four tenants are still alive (Joyce DeWitt, Suzanne Somers, and Priscilla Barnes) while all of the landlords are dead (Norman Fell, Audra Lindley, and Don Knotts). Then there's Richard Kline who's still going.

For Everybody Loves Raymond, only two of five are dead and, unless you count the kids, only one of those is gone, so I don't know if I would count that one either.

I can't really think of any other shows after Night Court...

On an unrelated note, is The Dick Van Dyke show the oldest TV show with at least one of the cast members still alive?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Sabin wrote: Everybody Loves Raymond shouldn't count because Doris Robert and Peter Boyle were quite on in years when the show began.
Peter Boyle was only 60 when Everybody Loves Raymond started. Doris Roberts was 70.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

OscarGuy wrote
This marks the third major cast member of Night Court to pass. It seems strange to me that a so-recent show would have so many who've left us. Outside of shows like The Golden Girls, which featured much older casts, is there a more recent TV show where half the main cast or more has already died?
I mean, it ran from 1984-1992. It's not a new show but I definitely know what you mean. Almost a lot of the Designing Women cast is gone. Maybe Three's Company?

Everybody Loves Raymond shouldn't count because Doris Robert and Peter Boyle were quite on in years when the show began. Maybe The Larry Sanders Show if only by virtue of Garry Shandling's death being so surprising?
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

This marks the third major cast member of Night Court to pass. It seems strange to me that a so-recent show would have so many who've left us. Outside of shows like The Golden Girls, which featured much older casts, is there a more recent TV show where half the main cast or more has already died?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

R.I.P. Markie Post

Post by Reza »

Markie Post, Plucky TV Favorite Who Became a Star on ‘Night Court,’ Dies at 70

by Cynthia Littleton (Variety) 8/8/2021

Markie Post, who became a star in the 1980s playing a plucky public defender on “Night Court” and had a long run of TV roles, died Saturday at her home in Los Angeles. She was 70.

Post waged a nearly four-year fight with cancer. She kept working until very recently despite her illness.

Post co-starred in the 2019 Lifetime movie “Christmas Reservations” and logged a guest shot that year on the first season of Netflix drama “Soundtrack.” In recent years, Post had recurring roles on NBC’s “Chicago, P.D.,” ABC’s “The Kids are Alright” and Netflix’s “The Santa Clarita Diet.”

Post grew up in Northern California and got her start working behind the scenes on game shows such as “Double Dare” and “Card Sharks” in the 1970s. She moved into working in front of the camera with game show appearances and guest shots on such series as “CHiPs,” “Barnaby Jones,” “The Incredible Hulk,” “Hart to Hart,” “B.J. and the Bear” and “Eight is Enough.”

Post was known for her versatility in drama and comedy, and she racked up more than two dozen TV movie credits from the 1970s through 2019.

In 1980, Post co-starred opposite Bruce McGill and David Hasselhoff in the short-lived ABC comedy “Semi-Tough,” based on the comedic sports novel by Dan Jenkins. She continued to rack up guest shots — “Simon & Simon,” “The Love Boat,” “Cheers,” “Fantasy Island” and “The A-Team” — and in 1982 landed a co-starring roll opposite Lee Majors for three seasons on the ABC action-drama “The Fall Guy.”

In 1985, Post switched gears to the NBC sitcom “Night Court,” an ensembler led by Harry Anderson as the quirky judge presiding over a late-shift court in Manhattan. She joined the show in its third season and quickly became a fan favorite who stayed through the end of the series run in 1992.

Post’s Christine Sullivan was resourceful and naive, sexy and wholesome all at once. She helped bring a sense of heart to “Night Court” and she was a love interest at times for both Anderson and John Larroquette, who played the sleazy assistant District Attorney Dan Fielding.

After “Night Court,” Post starred with John Ritter for three seasons from 1992 to 1995 in the CBS political romcom “Hearts Afire,” in which she played an out of work liberal journalist who becomes press secretary to an aging Southern senator. Ritter played a legislative aide and Post’s love interest. The show was well received by critics but never caught fire with viewers.

Post’s film roles over the years included character turns in 1998’s “There’s Something About Mary” and 1981’s “Gangster Wars.” Her TV movie roles over the years ranged from 1982’s “Massarati and the Brain” and “Not Just Another Affair” to 1988’s “Glitz” and “Tricks of the Trade.” In the 1990s and 2000s, Post was a regular in supporting roles in telepics for Lifetime and Hallmark. She was no stranger to Christmas movie tropes, having co-starred in 2007’s “Holiday in Handcuffs,” 2013’s “Christmas on the Bayou,” 2017’s “Four Christmases and a Wedding” and 2019’s “Christmas Reservations.”

Post’s long list of credits over the past two decades include guest shots on “30 Rock,” “Scrubs,” “The District,” “Dave’s World” and “Ghost Whisperer.” She was a regular on the one-season ABC comedy “Odd Man Out.” And Post was part of the voice cast for the “Transformers Prime” animated series that aired on Discovery’s now-defunct kids channel the Hub.

Post’s survivors include her husband, writer Michael A. Ross; daughters, actress Kate Armstrong Ross and Daisy Schoenborn, and a granddaughter.

Return to “The People”