Emmy Nominations

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Mike Kelly
Temp

Post by Mike Kelly »

My son, Chris picked up his third Emmy Nomination (Sound Mixing - Survivor Tocantins: "The Poison Apple Needs to Go.") Locally, he has switched to Cinematography for the production company where he works. I don't think Roger Deakins needs to look over his shoulder...........yet. :)

Edited By Mike Kelly on 1248127341
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I love the crudeness of Family Guy, that's perfectly fine. I've enjoyed every season until the latter part of last year and it's progressively getting worse. The majority of their "jokes" now consist of two people just standing there for five minutes in an awkward, slow-paced conversation or preaching their views with no subtlety or satire. They can say whatever they want, but putting a blog into a 22 minute animated show isn't funny. At least the early seasons had great timing, something that is definitely more important to this show than being crude.

Edited By Zahveed on 1247929383
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I detest King of the Hill, I find it about as a funny as an episode of Seinfeld, a show which I despise even though most people seem to love it.

I love Family Guy because it isn't afraid to be crude, rude and socially unacceptable. And it may not be as sly as The Simpsons/Futurama (both by Matt Groening, surprise), but it's a fantastic show. I like it 100 times more than American Dad (also by Macfarlane). I'm surprised at all this hatred of Family Guy. I wonder if its crudeness is somehow the reason you guys detest it so much. But, it's one of the few laugh-out-loud funny shows I've ever seen.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Zahveed wrote:
Hollywood Z wrote:In addition to The Simpsons and South Park being vastly superior animated shows, might I also add that any given episode of Futurama was better than any season as a whole of Family Guy.
I agree with this sentiment. Futurama, in its entire first run, was consistently funny from pilot to cancellation. I'm glad Comedy Central is bringing it back.
Agree to all of these. I'd also add King of the Hill - far smarter, wittier and more likeable than the smug Family Guy.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

cam wrote:Unless I missed it, no one here but me laments the poor judgement not to nominate Friday Night Lights, and Connie Britton is the best actress on TV, by far, IMVHO.

I didn't mention it, but it's an embarrassment that they ignore it every year. I think Kyle Chandler, Connie Britton, and Scott Porter (in Guest) should all be winning this year, but they miss out just because they aren't big names, and are part of a show that doesn't film in New York or LA, and therefore doesn't employ a lot of industry-insiders.

Edited By dws1982 on 1247873478
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Unless I missed it, no one here but me laments the poor judgement not to nominate Friday Night Lights, and Connie Britton is the best actress on TV, by far, IMVHO.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Real shame about Pushing Daisies. I like that show. For all its tweeness, Anna Friel and Lee Pace almost impossibly strike the perfect notes for their characters.

I'm going to venture out on a limb and predict the winners under the belief that the only people who win Emmys have either won before, most people believe mistakenly that they've won before, or have won and weren't there.

Best Drama Series - Mad Men
Best Comedy Series - 30 Rock
Best Actor in a Drama Series - Jon Hamm, Mad Men
Best Actor in a Comedy Series - Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
(although Steve Carrel had in my opinion a stronger season)

Best Actress - Glenn Close, Damages
Best Actress in a Comedy Series - Tina Fey, 30 Rock
Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series - Michael Emerson, Lost
Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series - Neil Patrick Harris, How I Met Your Mother
Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series - Hope Davis, In Treatment
Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series - Kristen Chenoweth, Pushing Daisies
"How's the despair?"
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I forgot about her nomination and Lee Pace received a nomination along with Anna Friel last year, if I'm not mistaken. That's more than most critically acclaimed under-the-radar programs receive before being dumped.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Pushing Daisies picked up a handful, including Kristin Chenoweth in Supporting Actress, but the Emmys have always been remiss to recognize cancelled series that haven't experienced a long run and been closed out naturally.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

No love for Scrubs either, despite the good reviews, boost in ratings, and touching episodes, including the kind-of-finale.

Pushing Daisies also disappears with nothing.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I wouldn't doubt if she was submitted as supporting and not lead.
Wesley Lovell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

While we're on the subject of snubs, January Jones (Betty Draper, Mad Men) had an incredibly powerful season and was left off the list for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama. I won't begrudge Elisabeth Moss' nomination (she killed that revelation scene with Pete at the end of the season), but Jones was startlingly good in what was a very curvy road for her character, navigating every step with delicious aplomb.

Edited By flipp525 on 1247846827
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Hollywood Z wrote:In addition to The Simpsons and South Park being vastly superior animated shows, might I also add that any given episode of Futurama was better than any season as a whole of Family Guy.
I agree with this sentiment. Futurama, in its entire first run, was consistently funny from pilot to cancellation. I'm glad Comedy Central is bringing it back.
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

I'm also a big fan of Fringe and am pretty upset that John Noble didn't get a Best Support Actor in a Drama Series nod. Only one nomination for the show: Visual Effects in an Hour Long series. I seriously believe that this year, every award show decided to band together and collectively disappoint everyone that follows awards and their nominations.

On the plus side, I am glad that Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory is nominated. But that Family Guy nominations...it's like an open rusty buzzsaw wound being treated with salt and lemon juice. In addition to The Simpsons and South Park being vastly superior animated shows, might I also add that any given episode of Futurama was better than any season as a whole of Family Guy.
"You are what you love, not what loves you." - Nicholas Cage; Adaptation
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

anonymous wrote:They did away with that category. Instead the hosts/performers are nominated along with the producers in their respective programs while sketch performers from sketch shows like SNL can submit themselves in Supporting and Guest performance in a comedy series categories.

But still they have a category for Reality Show hosting. ???
That's lame. Hosts of talk shows and fake news have a ton more personality and talent than anyone nominated in the Reality Show Host category, and should be noted for it. At least the guys in SNL have a chance to be individuals in a strong group.

Return to “Broadcast Media”