AHEM, Nik's Announcement - I admit this is a little embarrassng

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Nik wrote:
Reza wrote:This is like a Bollywood movie come to life! I love it. However, just delete the same sex marriage from this plot (and presumably what goes on in between the sheets) and we have what are the makings of a true Bollywood flick. And since you sound like you are singing as you write, it all makes it perfect - a sing/song Bollywood flick.

Anyway to cut my rambling short....CONGRATULATIONS!

p.s. A perfect ending to this fairy tale would have both of you settling down in sunny Spain! But since studies / work come first, you could always consider this proposition for your sunset years together!

LOL.

I promise everyone I will not change on ONE thing though: children. Hate em, hate em, hate em. Don't want them, don't want to see, or smell, or hear them, don't want to be around them, if I could be pro-Juvenile Diabetes, I would be.

Reza, to complete the Bollywood imagery, we are from different socio-economic backgrounds (my family is at least upper middle class, and Rick's is decidedly not) and I am half-Indian. Is there anything else required for Bollywood? I'm sure I could convince Rick to roll down a hill while singing with me.
Obviously you were done some wrong by a child in your previous life to have such a hatred for kids. Suck on a lollypop and cool down!

The socio-economic backgrounds further confirms the Bollywood scenario here. Rich ''boy'' meets poor ''boy''. Things appear to go right but cruel fate plays a dirty hand (a vamp - ex boyfriend / girlfriend - usually comes in between the lovers, or nature has a few tricks up her sleeve, or family members cause a misunderstanding - a mean, interfering mother-in-law is a given in almost every Bollywood plot). Remember you have to weather the storms while dancing and singing until the fadeout. If it ends in tragedy the film is invariably a flop. A happy ending ensures boxoffice success. In any case the ending will be in the hands of both of you. Compromise is the name of the game in any relationship. It is not, unfortunately, easy!
Nik
Temp

Post by Nik »

Reza wrote:This is like a Bollywood movie come to life! I love it. However, just delete the same sex marriage from this plot (and presumably what goes on in between the sheets) and we have what are the makings of a true Bollywood flick. And since you sound like you are singing as you write, it all makes it perfect - a sing/song Bollywood flick.

p.s. A perfect ending to this fairy tale would have both of you settling down in sunny Spain! But since studies / work come first, you could always consider this proposition for your sunset years together!
LOL.

I promise everyone I will not change on ONE thing though: children. Hate em, hate em, hate em. Don't want them, don't want to see, or smell, or hear them, don't want to be around them, if I could be pro-Juvenile Diabetes, I would be. I made sure to discuss this with Rick before hand. He doesn't like/dislike children either way so it wasn't an issue for him. Part of the reason my last relationship ended was because my (now) ex-bf realized he would want to adopt someday and I would never go for it.

Reza, to complete the Bollywood imagery, we are from different socio-economic backgrounds (my family is at least upper middle class, and Rick's is decidedly not) and I am half-Indian. Is there anything else required for Bollywood? I'm sure I could convince Rick to roll down a hill while singing with me.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Congratulations! Best of luck.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

This is like a Bollywood movie come to life! I love it. However, just delete the same sex marriage from this plot (and presumably what goes on in between the sheets) and we have what are the makings of a true Bollywood flick. And since you sound like you are singing as you write, it all makes it perfect - a sing/song Bollywood flick.

VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

Nik, have a great & fulfilling life with Rick!

all the best & best regards,
VanHelsing
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
Nik
Temp

Post by Nik »

Cynical about marriage and commitment too, Eric? I don't blame you. Even though I feel like I've found someone special, I know that this isn't for everyone and obviously the kind of commitment I intend to make to Rick will not always feel this easy or wonderful. I know it will require great work and an ability to evolve as all relationships evolve and I am determined to make a concerted effort NOT to turn into one of those people who loses all their independence and individuality after committing to someone. It always puzzled me that such people (some of them are dear friends of mine and it pains me to see them this way) insist on viewing marital vows as synonymous with a disavowal of their former selves. As if the sacrificing of one is the only way to procure the other. Surely there are changes to be made, but why lose everything about you that made this person attracted to you in the first place?

I also think this vicissitude in my life has a lot to do with everything seeming so dreary and insurmountable a few months ago, and then getting better and realizing f uck it, if this is all we get, this tiny gasp in the cosmos (no after-life, no overarching meaning, nothing) then why waste it being miserable?

Anyway, I wish you all the kind of happiness I feel right now, and to those who have already found it, I see what you guys were crowing about all this time.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Damien wrote:Oh Eric, having met you, I can say you'd be such a catch . . . .

What a lovely thing to say. (Even though I was more talking about relating to Nik's attitude pre-change-of-heart on the whole idea of getting hitched.)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Congratulations. May your happiness spread to those around you and we all make moves in our lives that mirror yours.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Congrats, Nick.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Eric wrote:There's hope for me yet...

Congrats.

Oh Eric, having met you, I can say you'd be such a catch . . . .
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Nik wrote:I never thought I was the kind of person who would be so malleable for a guy. I always thought people who did this were silly. I also always rejected the idea of marriage and tying myself to one person...
There's hope for me yet...

Congrats.
Nik
Temp

Post by Nik »

Thanks everyone. Your well wishes are very much appreciated.

Sonic, lol, I've heard the Rick & Nik joke countless times since we told everyone. I love it though. And I think my bedside manner would have made Hemmingway blush.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Congratulations Nik...I wish you and your beloved the best, and hope that the day will come soon enough that you two can come to America as spouses, not partners. I'm sure not soon enough for you though:)

Tripp
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Rick and Nik. Awwww...! :p

You should have told us he was your bedside nurse. How gay Hemingway would that have been? Congratulations!
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Congratulations!
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021

Return to “General Off-Topic”