Oscar Nominations

For the films of 2021
taki15
Assistant

Re: Oscar Nominations

Post by taki15 »

mlrg wrote: - Which was the last best picture nominee to get nominated without best director, acting, screenplay or editing nomination? Nightmare Alley just did it.
Black Panther.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Thanks for the tally, Reza.

Flee gets the trifecta for international film, animated feature, and documentary. I’m pretty sure no film has done that before. The only film I can think of that might have gotten those three nominations was Waltz with Bashir, but it received just one nomination (for foreign language film).
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sabin wrote:
mlrg wrote
Are you conceding a Kidman win?
No, I'm mocking the twitter discourse desperately clamoring to declare a frontrunner in the field of Best Actress. Two weeks ago, Nicole Kidman had the Oscar in the bag. This week, it was Lady Gaga's to lose and now she's not nominated.

I have no idea who is going to win Best Actress. No contender has been nominated for a Globe, a SAG, and a BAFTA. None of the contenders are in Best Picture nominees. It could be any of them. I'm inclined to say Nicole Kidman and Olivia Colman probably have the best chance due to their films having the most nominations. Whoever wins the SAG is probably the likeliest to win... Watch as it goes to Lady Gaga.
I think the race is going to be between Jessica Chastain and Kristen Stewart.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

danfrank wrote:Has anyone done a count of the nominations per film? I counted 7 for West Side Story, as compared to the 11 that the original film garnered (and won 10). I think the Power of the Dog leads with an impressive 12.
Belfast (8)
CODA (3)
Don't Look Up (4)
Drive My Car (4)
Dune (10)
King Richard (6)
Licorice Pizza (3)
Nightmare Alley (4)
The Power of the Dog (12)
West Side Story (7)
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Reza wrote:This is Bradley Cooper's eighth nomination without a win. Also the eighth nod for Dame Judi.
I’m a fan of Licorice Pizza, but was relieved that Cooper wasn’t nominated for that. It was not an impressive performance.

Has anyone done a count of the nominations per film? I counted 7 for West Side Story, as compared to the 11 that the original film garnered (and won 10). I think the Power of the Dog leads with an impressive 12.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

mlrg wrote
No, I'm mocking the twitter discourse desperately clamoring to declare a frontrunner in the field of Best Actress. Two weeks ago, Nicole Kidman had the Oscar in the bag. This week, it was Lady Gaga's to lose and now she's not nominated.

I have no idea who is going to win Best Actress. No contender has been nominated for a Globe, a SAG, and a BAFTA. None of the contenders are in Best Picture nominees. It could be any of them. I'm inclined to say Nicole Kidman and Olivia Colman probably have the best chance due to their films having the most nominations. Whoever wins the SAG is probably the likeliest to win... Watch as it goes to Lady Gaga.
"How's the despair?"
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Sabin wrote:Guys, the Best Actress race is over.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Guys, the Best Actress race is over.
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

This is Bradley Cooper's eighth nomination without a win. Also the eighth nod for Dame Judi.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

mlrg wrote:BAFTA vs Oscars in best actress is 0/5... that's how fucked up this category was this year.
SAG was pretty bad this year too, setting a new record of 8 differences between its slate and the eventual Oscar nominees.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Riz Ahmed receives his second nomination and first in the Live Action Short category.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

I'm very excited at the prospect of an Oscar telecast that features wins by ?uestlove, Billie Eilish and Jonny Greenwood. It's hard to come to terms that Wes Anderson's time with the Oscars on a larger level was for The Grand Budapest Hotel, I was hoping The French Dispatch could see some love for its production design or costumes even though it was not spoken of during the precursor season. My daughter will be very happy with the nominations for Cruella, being that she designed and made her own version of the garbage truck dress for this past Halloween.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Some small surprises. I can’t get over that they snubbed The French Dispatch for production design. Just a terrible exclusion.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

mlrg wrote:First quick thoughts:

- HUGELY happy for Jessie Buckey;
Me too. I thought she deserved a nod for "Wild Rose" a couple years back.

- Licorice Pizza underperformed
I think it overperformed. It got Picture, Directing and Screenplay. With the controversy over the characters' age differences, I thought it might be relegated to screenplay.

- Belfast gets 7 nominations but misses film Editing. Can it take best Picture?
West Side Story is in the same boat.

- Which was the last best picture nominee to get nominated without best director, acting, screenplay or editing nomination? Nightmare Alley just did it.
Selma?
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

BAFTA vs Oscars in best actress is 0/5... that's how fucked up this category was this year.

Return to “94th Academy Awards”