Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: New Developments III

Post by Sabin »

Sonic Youth wrote
OscarGuy wrote
He still won't be removed,
I'm not so sure.
How many times have we written out: "This is when the Republicans turn on him." This is the turning point." "This is the bridge too far."

Here's another question. Will Republican Primary voters turn on Trump? Significantly? We have sitting Republican Senators objecting to certification of Electoral College votes, including Josh Hawley whom I do not like but I thought was at least a rational individual. Why? Because they all recognize that the inmates are now in charge of the asylum. Anyone who wants an immediate future in Republican politics must be in some capacity Pro-Trump. Does anyone think after the events of the day that Ted Cruz (OR WHOMEVER) will go from "I am using a known stolen election as a precedent for my committee." to "You know what? On second thought, this is a bridge too far for me. I'm going to vote to impeach and remove." Really? This is the phone call and this is the riot that gets Republicans to stop caring about their voters and start caring about their country?

We might get (again) Collins, Murkowski, and Romney but we won't get -- I can't believe we're doing this dance again -- sixteen Republican Senators to turn on Donald Trump.

All it takes is one Antifa appearance and get ready for America's favorite game show: "Bad People on Both Sides!"
Mister Tee wrote
This is full-on insurrection, clearly egged on by the president as recently as a few hours ago. Dems have paid for decades for the anti-war left of 1968 (most of whom weren't even Democrats). The Republican party will bear this stain for years to come.
I agree with this statement. Here is my question: adjusted for inflation, how many millions of anti-war left were out there in 1968 vs. Trump's cult? Did they have a 24/7 media arm Jinning up their outrage? Let's say The Republican Party bears this stain for years to come. Does that mean they lose?
Last edited by Sabin on Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"How's the despair?"
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

We in Canada are watching in disdain and are hoping for the best!
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sonic Youth wrote:
OscarGuy wrote: He still won't be removed,
I'm not so sure.
Me either. The next 24 hours will have to see Trump do a 180, or impeachment/removal becomes an imperative. His tweet in the past hour doesn't suggest the first is likely.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

OscarGuy wrote: He still won't be removed,
I'm not so sure.

ETA: I'll go further. I think he's gone by the end of the week, maybe tomorrow.
Last edited by Sonic Youth on Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Amazing how Trump Trash can utterly destroy the great feeling I had today of watching Warnock and Ossof become the first Dems elected Senator from Georgia since 2003 for Ossof (Max Cleland was the last Dem to serve after a long line of them. Republicans had never held the seat prior to Saxby Chambliss in 2003). On the other side, it was 2005 when Zell Miller retired and was replaced by Johnny Isakson. That seat had swapped back and forth since 1981 when Mack Mattingly became replaced Herman Talmadge. He was replaced by Wyche Fowler, who was replaced by Paul Coverdell. who died.

Then, the utter bliss was continued when Joe Biden nominated Merrick Garland as attorney general on the same day Mitch McConnell was confirmed to be minority leader.

All this bliss was overtaken by seditionists. Whether they are ever truly punished, we won't know for months.

As to articles of impeachment, Ilhan Omar is drafting them as I write this. He still won't be removed, but incitement to riot is a pretty compelling reason for removal, and if not removal, prevention from ever serving in elective office again.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

flipp525 wrote
Impeachment should start immediately (as I said a couple of days ago).
Sonic Youth wrote
How about now?

Congratulations to Joe Biden, the soon-to-be 47th president of the United States.
Sure, sounds good. I'm totally on board to impeach him.

Who are the sixteen Republican Senators who you think are likeliest to flip? They don't have to be sure things. I'm just trying to start a running total. I'll start:

Lisa Murkowski
Susan Collins
Mitt Romney

These ones are likely are off the table:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewsole ... 9761f81c3e
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

You hold off posting a few hours, and everything you meant to say pretty much evaporates.

To briefly cover what I would have posted before the past hour...euphoric night in Georgia; Mitch McConnell can't believe HE had to suffer because of Trump; interesting political discussions to be had about whether this vote represents what the post-Trump era may be like: Dems still revved up to 100, but Pubs slipping back a bit because their hero isn't on the ballot.

But that can wait. This is full-on insurrection, clearly egged on by the president as recently as a few hours ago. Dems have paid for decades for the anti-war left of 1968 (most of whom weren't even Democrats). The Republican party will bear this stain for years to come.

And the sad part is, we can't even swear this is the bottom. We've thought that so many times before.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Impeachment should start immediately (as I said a couple of days ago).
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I doubt I'll ever be comfortable travelling to the United States again.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Sabin wrote:
But impeaching President Trump for a second time with absolutely no pathway towards removal is terrible politics that makes the party look awful.
How about now?

Congratulations to Joe Biden, the soon-to-be 47th president of the United States.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Can't wait for the President to denounce them.
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

The MAGAs have breached the Cannon office building which is part of the Capitol complex.

This is what people who work there are being told: “Cannon Building INTERNAL RELOCATION: All staff should move to internal relocation site. Other staff, remain inside until further direction. If outside, follow police direction. USCP”
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

INTERVIEWERS: Madame Vice President, what have you done that qualifies you to be President.

HARRIS: I broke more ties than all those white boys combined.
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Peach Schnapps on me!

When the Republicans say "We're still waiting for the military votes", that means it's over. The facists will riot in Washington tomorrow, but it'll be worth it. I do wonder if Trump will gas them the same way he gassed peaceful anti-Trump BLM protesters, but he'll probably give them $2,000 checks instead.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Here, this brightened up my night. It's Trump meets "Rent"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCIDRLCROWE
"How's the despair?"

Return to “Current Events”