AfterElton's 50 Greatest Gay Books Poll

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Penelope wrote:I vote to include non-fiction as well.
Good idea.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I vote to include non-fiction as well.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

How about this: Anyone who wants to can submit up to 15-20 titles for the "Best of Gay Fiction" nomination list. Nominations should be in order of merit. Once a comprehensive list is compiled, I can cull through and eliminate duplicates. The top ten spots will be voted upon from a pool of top contenders while the rest of the list will be ordered according to the time in which I received your nominations and their order on your list. PM me your nods. Any other suggestions? I'm not Ernst and Young here so, feel free to pick apart my plan of tabulation.

Also, if there are no objections, I vote that we open up our list to include gay plays.

Edited By flipp525 on 1226609827
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

All right, flipp, how many books can we nominate?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I don't know. It's not my own personal list, but I found several selections that I'm glad made it. They recognized the brilliance of Dancer from the Dance and included such harrowing pieces of gay fiction as The Line of Beauty and The Front Runner (this should be the next "big gay film"). It's not as awful as I thought it would be.

We should agree upon and compile our own top 100 Best Gay Fiction list. Maybe I'll take it upon myself to coordinate it. That's something I'd love to have culled from the members of this board.

Edited By flipp525 on 1226597303

Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Penelope wrote:The list is up; I won't even bother to type it out here, it's so sad and disappointing; but here's a link.
The movie list was every bit as awful.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

The list is up; I won't even bother to type it out here, it's so sad and disappointing; but here's a link.

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

These rise to the top of my list:

Faggots by Larry Kramer
Dancer from the Dance by Andrew Holleran
"Raised in Captivity" & "Pterodactyls" by Nicky Silver (plays)
"The Invention of Love" by Tom Stoppard (play)
The Line of Beaty by Alan Hollinghurst
The Folding Star by Alan Hollinghurst
Grief by Andrew Holleran
Babycakes by Armstead Maupin

Edited By flipp525 on 1224622332

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

AfterElton has started another poll; following their annual Hottest Guys and Favorite Movies, this poll asks gay men to pick their 5 favorite books to determine the top 50. Click here to vote.

My choices?

The Vintner's Luck by Elizabeth Knox

The Celluloid Closet by Vito Russo

Strangers: Homosexual Love in the 19th Century by Graham Robb

The Mayor of Castro Street: The Life and Times of Harvey Milk by Randy Shilts

The Spell by Alan Hollinghurst

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”