Ten Most Annoying Singers

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I love almost all things disco, but ABBA (along with KC & the Sunshine Band and the Village People) are not among them.

Edited By Eric on 1208966526
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Damien wrote:
Bog wrote:There are people that don't like ABBA? sounds like a dealbreaker...

I picture it more of Take a Chance on Me

ABBA is atrocious. I can appreciate that they, like Neil Diamond, hve a certain camp value, but if you lived trough them the first time around, you shudder every time you hear them today. Back in the 70s, they were, rightfully, accorded no respect.
Only among a select few.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Bog wrote:There are people that don't like ABBA? sounds like a dealbreaker...

ABBA is atrocious. I can appreciate that they, like Neil Diamond, hve a certain camp value, but if you lived trough them the first time around, you shudder every time you hear them today. Back in the 70s, they were, rightfully, accorded no respect.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

There are people that don't like ABBA? sounds like a dealbreaker...

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I agree, Pen. Honestly, Sabin, I kind of imagine you like Kevin Kline in In and Out, not being able to physically contain yourself during "Dancing Queen".
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Bitch, what's wrong with ABBA?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Almost all uniformly horrible and not needed on the planet. Load 'em up on a rocket with ABBA and fly 'em into the sun.

I kinda like Devendra Banhart. Something weirdly compelling about him and Tiny Tim.
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Nothing to see here.

Edited By flipp525 on 1208956723
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
jsmalahy
Graduate

Post by jsmalahy »

Pretty good list! ESPECIALLY John Mayer. God, how he gets a free pass as a "real artist" by so many people, I'll never understand.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Yes, why isn't Mariah Carey on that list? She's responsible for an entire generation of a young female singers who find it impossible to actually hold a note.

Michael Bolton has one truly great vocal performance: "Said I Loved You...But I Lied." For once, he doesn't shout but actually find a way to genuinely interpret the lyrics with meaningful emotion; ironically, it was his last hit song.

Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

No real "wow" choices here; though Banhart and Oberst are critically acclaimed and indie darlings, to the larger community of music listeners they would be very "edgy" and thus annoying in their unique inflections. Lily Allen is there merely for her accent, and Corgan can sing quite nicely when he isn't in an angsty state.
Rating: Annoying List
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I haven't heard of most of them, but the I agree with the three I am familiar with - Celine Dion, Frankie Valli and Michael Bolton. Why Mariah Carey isn't up there, I don't know. Personally she and screech buddy Celine Dion are the two I'd most like to see develop career ending laryngitis.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

This is one man's opinion, so take with a grain of salt.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs....singers
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”