American Idol 2010

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

OscarGuy wrote:It's very likely. AI will have a hard time retrieving all the fans it lost without the acerbic Cowell who will transfer over to X-Factor, besides, there's more variety with X-Factor than just a singing competition.

No, The X-Factor is just a singing competition, but it's open to all ages. Well, 16 onwards. It also allows for groups to compete.

And just for a laugh, take a look at these two who auditioned last night - click here.

And this girl, though she is very good - click here.

Edited By jack on 1283682284
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It's very likely. AI will have a hard time retrieving all the fans it lost without the acerbic Cowell who will transfer over to X-Factor, besides, there's more variety with X-Factor than just a singing competition.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Does anyone think that the US version of The X-Factor will steal the thunder from American Idol?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Best news so far. Unfortunately, the prospects of Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez joining Randy Jackson isn't that exciting either...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Kara DioGuardi not returning to 'American Idol': It's (finally) official
by Michael Slezak
Entertainment Weekly

Kara DioGuardi will not return for American Idol‘s 10th season, Fox announced in a press release this evening. The word arrived via email at 8:11 p.m. ET on the Friday before the Labor Day weekend, the media-cycle equivalent of attempting to chop down a tree in the forest when no one is there to hear it fall.

“I felt like I won the lottery when I joined American Idol two years ago, but I feel like now is the best time to leave Idol,” said DioGuardi, in a statement released by Fox. “I am very proud to have been associated with American Idol — it has truly been an amazing experience. I am grateful to FOX, FremantleMedia and 19 Entertainment, as well as the cast, crew and contestants, for all they have given to me. I look forward to my next challenge, and want to thank everyone who has supported me. All the best to everyone on Season 10!”

Over the last several weeks, speculation has swirled that DioGuardi, who joined the reality singing competition in its eighth season in the unpopular position of “fourth judge,” would not return to her chair when the ratings juggernaut comes back in January 2011. Returning executive producer Nigel Lythgoe had gone on the record saying he favored a return to a three-person judges’ panel, and as sources close to the show have repeatedly told Entertainment Weekly, Idol has been working to lock down returning judge Randy Jackson, plus newcomers Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler, before season 10 callbacks begin in the middle of September. DioGuardi’s name was rarely mentioned as a contender for a rebooted Idol panel, the first without founding judge Simon Cowell, despite the fact that she showed considerable improvement in her on-air performance between the show’s eighth and ninth seasons. In fact, DioGuardi’s father said in an interview last month that his daughter had heard her job was at risk only via media reports.

Fox’s release contained statements from a number of execs close to the show. They read as follows:
“Kara was a great addition to our Idol family. I’ve been fortunate to get to know her well, and have always been amazed by her eye for talent and her commitment to developing and mentoring artists. She will be missed, and we wish her continued success.” –Mike Darnell, President of Alternative Entertainment, Fox Broadcasting Company

“Kara is one of the world’s best songwriters. She has been passionate and committed to Idol over the last two seasons. I will miss having her on the show, but I look forward to working with her in music for many years to come.” –Simon Fuller, American Idol creator and executive producer

“As one of the most proclaimed songwriters in the U.S., Kara brought a wealth of experience and a unique perspective to American Idol. We are very grateful for the time she spent on the show, and we wish her nothing but the best in all her future endeavors.” — Cecile Frot-Coutaz, Idol executive producer
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Ellen exit heralds major "American Idol" makeover
By Jill Serjeant

LOS ANGELES, July 30 (Reuters) - "American Idol" appears on course for a wholesale make-over after the abrupt departure of Ellen DeGeneres left the aging singing contest with two holes to fill as it seeks to retain its crown as the most-watched show on U.S. television.

DeGeneres quit on Thursday after just a year of her five-year contract on the TV show, following the exit in May of abrasive British judge Simon Cowell to run his own show.

With no replacements announced, Fox executives meet TV journalists on Monday after a week of fevered rumors, and some denials, that singers Jessica Simpson, Justin Timberlake, Jennifer Lopez, Chris Isaak and Steven Tyler may be among the contenders for the job of new "American Idol" judge.

Reports that Briton Nigel Lythgoe, one of the original executive producers, is returning, have sparked talk of a "nuclear option" for the show's 10th season, starting in January 2011.

That could entail throwing out remaining judges Randy Jackson and pop songwriter Kara DioGuardi, as well as major changes to the format, TV watchers say.

"I thought (with Simon's exit) that 'Idol' was in a unique position to really make some dramatic fixes to the show, and it looks now that maybe that's what they are going to do," said Brian Mansfield, who runs USA Today's Idol Chatter blog.

Fox has declined to confirm or deny any of the reports. "There has been a lot of speculation and we are not commenting on anything," a network spokesperson said.

Fox presents it 2010-11 new season line-up to TV critics on Monday but the network has until September to put a new panel in place in time for filmed auditions for next year's show.

IDOLS LOSING THEIR SHINE

After four years of declining audiences, lukewarm record sales for the 2010 "American Idol" Lee DeWyze, and a two-week cut in the Top 10 "Idols" summer tour, the money-spinning jewel in Fox's crown could use some polishing, TV watchers say.

"Idol" producers 19 Entertainment and FremantleMedia have also taken note. They have already said that the minimum age for contestants will be lowered to 15, in what was seen as a bid to find the next Justin Bieber, who signed his first record contract at the age of 14.

Results shows next year will be cut in half to 30 minutes, and contestants can audition over MySpace.

Fans on the official AmericanIdol.com website were given an unprecedented and detailed questionnaire in May, asking for feedback on their favorite judges, guest judges, weekly musical themes, and whether they would like more informal moments with the contestants backstage.

"You can bet the producers are poring over that," said Todd Gold, managing editor of Fancast.com.

Gold said edgier contestants rather than the family-friendly singers seen in past seasons could give the contest a lift.

"This is a time in TV when playing it safe doesn't seem like it will work. The producers understand that," he said.

Lurking in the background is Cowell's own talent show "The X-Factor" due in the fall of 2011, also on Fox. The British version of the show has a more cut-throat format and Cowell is also out recruiting for judges.

"'X-Factor' is going to get all sorts of attention and so making really wholesale changes to 'Idol' is one way that you can pre-empt the buzz that 'X Factor' is going to get," said Mansfield.

As for the newcomers to the "Idol" panel, Mansfield noted the surprise factor surrounding the appointment of DioGuardi in 2008 and the hiring, and sudden exit, of DeGeneres.

"I wouldn't be at all surprised to see people (as judges) whose names we haven't even been discussing. 'Idol' producers have been really, really good at keeping secrets," Mansfield said.

"American Idol" is produced by 19 Entertainment, a unit of CKX, Inc (CKXE.O: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz), and FremantleMedia. Fox television and MySpace are units of News Corp (NWSA.O: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz).
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Good for her. They didn't give her the freedom she needed to be really funny.

And apparently, the rumors may be true. I was reading at Vote for the Worst that Nigel Lythgoe may be coming back as producer and he has been said to be interested in getting rid of all the judges and starting over with Paula as one of the judges. I don't know about the latter, but I would be happy to see Kara and Randy both go as well.
Wesley Lovell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Ellen DeGeneres Is Leaving American Idol

She's been on just one season, but Ellen DeGeneres is leaving American Idol because it "didn't feel like the right fit for me." Probably because she had only the musical expertise to distinguish "gawdawful" singing from "not gawdawful." [AP]
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

No one could be worse than Taylor Hicks...but that's my opinion. Crystal should have won.

The show last night was pretty darned good. Was very happy to see Janet performing.

The entire reason Lee won is because Crystal has been coasting for several weeks. If she had gone all out and kept performing at her early-season levels, her fans would have hung in there. However, Lee was able to energize a base during those tepid weeks and built momentum that Crystal could not regain after a solid performance show Tuesday...she'd already lost too much of her base, so her loss is as much her fault as anything.
Wesley Lovell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Lee winning is pure and utter bullshit. Worst Idol winner by far. Worse than Taylor because at least Taylor was entertaining.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

The ability to sing in tune is apparently no longer required to win American Idol. I've disliked some winners in the past, but at least they could all hold pitch for a few full measures. They've never had as poor of a singer win Idol. Ever. Lee DeWyze was often not even close to being on pitch for the majority of his performances.

Terrible season, and neither of the final two probably has much potential at commercial success (either via album sales or hit singles), but Crystal would've at least been a respectable winner. But I knew Lee would win as soon as Simon pulled the "You are what this competition is all about" card last night on Lee.

Edited By dws1982 on 1274927360
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Hated Alex, but glad kids-money-stealing Todrick is gone. I liked Lilly's attitude, not necessarily her stylings, but there is something entirely off about this season. Even Ellen isn't trying to be funny...I wish she'd actually be more of herself instead of the woman the producers want her to be. Maybe it would enliven the proceedings.
Wesley Lovell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

The show is beyond painful to watch, and I'm done with it.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I'm outraged Alex and Lilly were voted off.

But I do love Siobhan. I like her kooky personality.

Edited By anonymous on 1268368442
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Tonight had to be the worst elimination nights ever on the show.

Talented young Carol Brady lookalike Alex Lambert gets voted off, while Stepford Child Aaron Kelly and one trick pony Andrew Garcia get to stay after giving objectively terrible performances. I would complain about the not very talented Tim Urban making it too, but he did fairly well last night and I can see why people vote for him. Now we're left with those three as well as diminished returns on David Cook (Lee DeWyze), diminished returns on Bo Bice (Casey James), and a poor man's Ruben Studdard (Michael Lynche...which, when you're a poor man's Ruben Studdard....that's pretty bad).

And on the girl's side, two of the more interesting contestants, Katelyn and Lilly got surprisingly sent home. Lilly I didn't like, but Paige definitely bombed harder than either this week. Now we're left with a bland group, with Crystal (the chosen runner-up I'm convinced) and Siobhan (who is really trying her hardest to manufacture a quirky persona) as the most likely frontrunners.

Edited By dws1982 on 1268362378

Return to “Broadcast Media”