Al Martino R.I.P.

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:
Reza wrote:Besides acting in the Marlon Brando classic "The Godfather," he sang the 1972 film's title score, "The Love Theme From the Godfather."
I thought Andy Williams sang that, at least the most popular version of it. It wasn't used in the film.
I Googled this, Magilla, and it's hard to tell -- various links atttribute a version to each of Williams and Martino. But my recollection is the one that got top 40 airplay was Williams'...a piggyback on his year-earlier "Where Do I Begin", the lyricized Love Story theme.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

A friend and I always cited him as the epitome of the dreary lounge singer -- a less-talented Wayne Newton. But you've got to hand it to him for hanging in; he had a longer career than many more gifted folk.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:Besides acting in the Marlon Brando classic "The Godfather," he sang the 1972 film's title score, "The Love Theme From the Godfather."
I thought Andy Williams sang that, at least the most popular version of it. It wasn't used in the film. The song Al Martino sang was "To Each His Own" which wasn;t in the 1946 film of that name either.

I thought he was a decent MOR singer, hardly one of the greats but not bad. His acting, however, was pretty awful.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

According to either a book about the production of the film, or Coppola's DVD commentary (can't remember which), Marlon Brando hated him and insisted on about thirty takes of the scene where he slapped him in The Godfather.

Edited By dws1982 on 1255582258
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

When my sister and I took dance lessons as kids (LOL!) one of the records we danced to was "Spanish Eyes."

We'll not see the likes of him again. He was wonderfully awful.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

latimes.com

Al Martino, singer, dies at 82;

October 14, 2009

Al Martino

Singer had role in 'The Godfather'

Al Martino, the singer who played the role of Johnny Fontane in "The Godfather," died Tuesday at his childhood home in suburban Philadelphia. He was 82.

Martino died in Springfield, Pa., publicist Sandy Friedman of Rogers & Cowan announced. A cause of death was not given.

Starting in 1952, Martino was known for hit songs including "Here in My Heart," "Spanish Eyes," "Can't Help Falling in Love" and "Volare."

Besides acting in the Marlon Brando classic "The Godfather," he sang the 1972 film's title score, "The Love Theme From the Godfather." His Fontane character is a Frank Sinatra-type singer and occasional actor.

Martino was born Oct. 7, 1927, in South Philadelphia as Alfred Cini (SEE'-nee). He was a longtime resident of Beverly Hills.

Return to “Broadcast Media”