The Grammys

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

I suppose I may have hit middle age: I did enjoy Plant/Krauss' album quite a bit - in my year-end write up last year I wrote that the album "screams Grammy". A bit too easy. Giving it to Lil Wayne would have been misplaced: he is 2008's golden boy (out of that sorry slate) but he has done much better. M.I.A. for Record would have been the best call, but it's one that the Grammys would never make. Sonic, you are too true about boomers making up for lost ground: Robert Plant never won a Grammy with Led Zeppelin. The Grammys getting everything right in the 70s, with Stevie Wonder's magical run deservingly cleaning up, is getting further and further behind us.

I did not see the show. Did I miss anything?
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Plant-Krauss was to this year's Grammys what Slumdog will be to this year's Oscars. Meaning: was there any point in hoping for a different outcome? And I like Plant-Krauss, I think it's an ingenious pairing, if more than a little lucky. I mean, who knew they'd be such a success, who knew such a combo would click? But it's evidence once again that the voting body consists of middle-agers all miffed that the heroes of their youth were denied Grams and are trying to make up for it now. Anyway, the award shoulda gone to Lil Wayne. And Best Duo shoulda been Estelle and Kanye West. (Song, too.) And Record shoulda been M.I.A.

Coldplay is just as charming and unpretentious and appealing and slightly goofy as Phil Collins is. And musically just as boring.

Bo Didley tribute was best music of the night. I dislike Radiohead, but they were really good. Third-best was "Swagga' Like Us". I'm beginning to get the appeal of Sugarland, and I'm convinced Carrie Underwood may be the only American Idol-er I'll ever buy an album from one day.

Fuck Neil Diamond.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Well, I like Robert Plant. I was hoping Radiohead or Coldplay would win though.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Holy crap, Radiohead was incredible.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Jennifer Hudson's performance was really beautiful. I think you could tell that she was sort of singing it to her slain family members, particularly her mother.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

Score Soundtrack Album for Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media:
The Dark Knight, James Newton Howard and Hans Zimmer, composers

Song Written for Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media:
"Down to Earth", Wall-E, Peter Gabriel and Thomas Newman, songwriters
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

I hate them, but if anyone wants to discuss awards/the show/whatever as it goes on.

Return to “Broadcast Media”