80th Oscar Hopefuls

1998 through 2007
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

It'd be nice to see Sarah Polley get a nomination at least for her screenplay. She's an immense and somewhat underrated talent.

Julie Christie probably has a fantastic chance as well for Best Actress.
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

Polley directs "the best Canadian film ever",says the Vancouver Sun reviewer, giving it 4 stars. Even Gordon Pinsent, a staple of Canadian film, was given a sterling review.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

i really hope Spiderman isn t going to get even a nomination, visual fx are a big disappointment (so as the movie), i cannot work out where did they put 300 millions!!!
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

'Knocked Up' for Best Screenplay. I've been saying it for a month-and-a-half now. It's gonna happen.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

How is Sandra Bullock even a hopeful for Best Actress in Premonition??? The movie got something like 9% on Rotten Tomatoes.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Scarlet Johannson as one of your top five for Best Actress (The Nannie Diaries) is a bit of WTF choice for me. Is there some sort of buzz I haven't heard about her performance because what I saw in the trailer looked pretty basic and average. After getting passed up for worthy nominations for Lost in Translation, Match Point, and The Girl with the Pearl Earring, I doubt the Academy would honor her for this.

I'd replace her with Laura Linney (The Savages) or Keira Knightley (Atonement) for the time being.

The trailer for Away From Her looks fantastic! Christie and, most likely, Dukakis will make worthy contenders next year. I'd even say that Sarah Polley has a good shot at landing a directing nod.

Edited By flipp525 on 1178138251
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

Also remove Laura Linney for Jindabyne. Great performance that was in my top 5 actresses for 2006 but even people that liked the film, hate the ending (me included) and I really don't see this film making any impact outside Australia and that includes with Academy members.

But put her back in for The Savages.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

You might also want to consider Gerard Depardieu for Quand j'étais chanteur (The Singer).

Depardieu wowed Cannes with his performance in this when the film was shown at Cannes last year.

I didn't care too much for the film but he was good, the best thing about it actually and he sings as well.

It's the sort of performance that actors sometimes get nominated for: over the hill entertainer coping with changes to the industry, falling for a younger woman, health issues, so on.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

anonymous wrote:Some addendums to your Best Actress list:

Marion Cotillard for La Vie En Rose
Ditto.

Also remove Laura Linney for Jindabyne. Great performance that was in my top 5 actresses for 2006 but even people that liked the film, hate the ending (me included) and I really don't see this film making any impact outside Australia and that includes with Academy members.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

I think you can erase from your list ''Goya's Ghosts''. Here in Greece it had a lukewarm reception from the critics as too academic asnd lifeless.

Then again, so was ''The Pianist''.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Some addendums to your Best Actress list:

Marion Cotillard for La Vie En Rose
Keira Knightley for Atonement
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, my first predictions are up. They are, of course, rough. I went with a number of past winners as repeat winners, including Julie Christie and Olympia Dukakis. I also went with a couple of long-time Hollywood players getting recognition (if Sweeney Todd is good) in Alan Rickman and Johnny Depp.

They are posted below, but they are just a prelim list with a couple of "out there" predictions.

80th Oscar Hopefuls
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The 8th Decade”