Dietary Advice

Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I can't stand dirty dishes, I wash them immediately. I have a dishwasher but I only use it when I have people over. For day to day it's more bother than it's worth.

How many dishes can there be for one cooked meal for one person, anyway?

You can cook healthy meals in a microwave - you don't need to cook just prepackaged crap. Vegetables, even omelets can be made in the microwave. Though I still prefer the stove for the latter, there are several brands of cheap plastic microwave omelet makers that will do the trick without a lot of mess.
Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

OscarGuy, if you won't cook, if you have very limited tastes, and if you lack apparently any time at all to get creative (we must then assume you're constantly multi-tasking when you post on the UAADB), I think you may be SOL. Zapped chicken & salty frozen stuff it is.

No sympathy about a lack of dishwasher though. In New York it's a luxury! :D (Damien, I'm looking your way.)

Edited By Johnny Guitar on 1215102303
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I can cook. I just don't have the time nor the desire to cook. And with no dishwasher and no time, that's a lot of dirty dishes that I don't need to mess with.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Some people just don't cook. Or maybe he's not interested in the kind of recipes you were offering. Either way, get over it.

Edited By flipp525 on 1215099326
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

I offered to send Wes some easy recipes, but he rejected them saying "he doesn't cook". My feeling is that he just wants to vent, not to change his lifestyle at all.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I started the South Beach diet about 5 weeks ago and have gone from 202 down to 184. You might want to look into it, even though it's expensive and time consuming (unless you want to buy the frozen entrees, which are easy to cook and inexpensive). There are a few cookbooks out there that you could check out. And if you don't like to cook, South Beach makes microwavable dinners (like I said earlier). The food's pretty good... lots of red meat, fish, chicken, pork and veggies. All you basically need to do is cut down on your carbohydrate and sugar intake, cut out alcohol entirely, cut out milk for the first few weeks, and drink lots and lots of water. You don't really need to exercise that much either, although I'm sure it probably helps. You'll still lose weight with or without exercise, though.

Check it out. It's at least worth a look.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Sabin wrote:Basic timeline for sushi -

I can't imagine what "deep fried" sushi would be like. I always thought that "Americanized" sushi referred to specific fillings, or that fish was fried or the seaweed rolled in the inside. "Big Mac that looks like sushi" is totally beyond my imagination.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I'll have to work on those. Don't see myself ever downing four dozen in one shot, though. Aren't those little suckers expensive?
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Damien wrote:
Eric wrote:
Reza wrote:
Curiosity killed the cat, but what the heck I'm curious.....what other ''excellent source of protein''?

Nuts.

:D LMAO!!

(I was going to say Passion Fruit.)
You guys are so spunky. I love it.

Oh, and oysters are my favorite food, too, Damien. I would happily eat them at every meal.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Wes, I've lost 20 pounds since the Christmas season. I don't have a huge appetite, so my diet is not for most people (and living in medtown Manhattan I'm sonstantly walking), but I

Go to the gym when I wake up. Come home have carrot juice, coffee and a banana for breakfast. Lunch is yogurt.
Scattered in during the day are healthy snacks, particularly green olives (black aren't as good for you; and I know you posted you don't like olives), nuts (beware of the extremely high fat quotient in cashews) and hummus.

Then I have a full dinner. I particularly recommend tofu -- the miracle food. It's s good for you in so many ways and can be prepared in so many different ways. At Asian restaurants I always substitue tofu for chicken, pork and beef.

Edited By Damien on 1214594483
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Eric wrote:Still admittedly working on building up a palate tolerance towards shellfish on the far side of crab, though. That might be awhile.
Oh, Eric, keep trying to develop a taste for oysters. Once you're won over, you'll be constantly amazed at the luxurious texture and the incomparablt briney taste.

Oysters are my number one favorite food. I once ate 43 at the Oyster Bar in Grand Central.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Eric wrote:
Reza wrote:
flipp525 wrote:There's also another excellent source of protein. I might post about it another thread, though ;)

Curiosity killed the cat, but what the heck I'm curious.....what other ''excellent source of protein''?

Nuts.
:D LMAO!!

(I was going to say Passion Fruit.)
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Reza wrote:
flipp525 wrote:There's also another excellent source of protein. I might post about it another thread, though ;)

Nuts.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

OscarGuy wrote:I drink a decent amount of water, but I also dehydrate quickly.
Eat fruit. Lots of pears and apples.

If you dehydrate rapidly it may be worth your while getting checked out for hyperglycaemia. Like Magilla, I myself have type 2 diabetes. Due to this I need to drink a lot of water.

Return to “General Off-Topic”