Mac vs. PC - Advice on buying a laptop

Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I recommend building your own tower too if you know your basic computer principles, or just get someone else to build it for you when you buy the parts. My stepdad built one a few years ago and it was top notch at the time, but like everything in technology it becomes obsolete in a few months. It's still a good, cheap investment.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

If you're getting a PC, build it from the ground up. Don't buy pre-packaged. It's the worst mistake you can make. You should also stay away from certain brands that make expansion difficult, hence why building a PC is a better investment. Additionally, you can get PC parts extremely cheap through various sites such as newegg, mwave and others that will not only make your PC a long-term investment with minor upgrades periodically, it saves you from having to eventually scrap a pre-built model because it's not expandable and has outlived its power.

Of course, if you want a laptop, then I recommend Dell. They can build it to your specifications. Granted, it's not very upgradable once that happens, but no laptops are truly upgradable as they require significant maintenance and professional work to upgrade at all...this is true of both Mac and PC.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

If you do end up going for a PC instead, I heard IBMs are the best buy for their price. I have an HP though, a few years old and I haven't had too many problems other than it just being slow at times... it's alright for what I do, but I could use more RAM.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It's a common misconception that Macs don't get virii. There are a few, and a very limited few, virii that affect windows. The reason there is such a proliferation of virii for PCs is that there are so many of them. If Mac continues to build its power base, then you may start seeing more virii emerge for the system.

I have a friend who works in a Mac store. So, of course, she swears by them. And while I am a PC user, I see several benefits to using a Mac. However, there are some caveats.

First of all, while there are programs similar to the MS Office apps, they are not exactly the same and, depending on the use, may not function exactly the same. They don't always open the same files a PC can and they definitely don't handle macros the same way.

Macs are also very slow on getting compatable software with PCs. If you play computer games, don't bother with a Mac. It often takes 1 year or more after an initial PC release for a game become available and it's usually third party manufacturers that put the packages together, so often games that are designed to connect with other PCs and play in tandem aren't always compatable.

Yes, there is a Windows client for later operating systems. However, I don't know any Mac users that actually use it. They don't want anything to do with it and since it's mostly an emulator, it doesn't necessarily operate with 100% functionality.

I know many who swear by PC or swear by Mac and while I'm not a hard core PC user in the least, there are just too many things that I wouldn't be able to do with my PC that I would want to that Mac can't handle. Having said that, if you are looking for a computer for multimedia design or graphics design, then you definitely want a Mac. PCs can't really hold a candle to the multi-tasking, memory efficiency power of a Mac.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Seriously, this is going to sound really snobby, but Macs are the only computers worth using. For all the reasons Flipp listed.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac. I resisted the "Mac Revolution" for quite a few years because I was so comfortable with the PC format/Windows, etc. My uncle finally convinced me that they were the way to go. Any PC-based program such as Microsoft applications are all available for a Mac. I got a MacBook Pro a year and a half ago and I fucking love it. I'm so happy with it. Never had a single problem -- no virus, no malfunctions. It's the sleekest, easiest, most dynamic laptop I've ever used. Needless to say, I've been converted.

Edited By flipp525 on 1202398746
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I've decided to buy myself a brand-new laptop.

I'm *this close* to buying a Mac. I know they're more expensive than a PC but they're better since they don't get viruses, easier to handle, etc. I've heard raves from those that love it.

But I'm beginning to hear rumblings that they're not all they're cracked up to be: Difficult to update, sometimes files are incompatible, etc.

I'd like to ask this board: What should I buy? Save money and buy a PC or should I go ahead and buy a Mac?

Your input would be nice. Thanks.

Return to “General Off-Topic”