Travel Plans - 2008

cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

MovieWes wrote:And cam, enchiladas aren't authentic Mexican, they're Tex-Mex. I should know since my city is the Tex-Mex capital of the world (and Texas and New Mexico are the only states in the U.S where you can find good Tex-Mex food). :p

Yes, but it qualifies here as "Mexican food." In CR, the food is fresh fish, chicken, fruit, rice and beans( very good) and it is all cheap. You can get a good lunch--sandwich, avocado, pieces of pineapple and cake, say for less than $2US. Can't beat that. A bang-up dinner with wine MIGHT cost $8-10. AND you won't get Montezuma's Revenge.

Edited By cam on 1201372926
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

If you go to Mexico City, just make sure not to wear any expensive jewelry or watches where anyone can see them. My dad has a friend who lives there, and he's been mugged 17 times over the past 20 years.

And cam, enchiladas aren't authentic Mexican, they're Tex-Mex. I should know since my city is the Tex-Mex capital of the world (and Texas and New Mexico are the only states in the U.S where you can find good Tex-Mex food). :p
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

I would go to Costa Rica ahead of Mexico. Youcan get a good deal with Air Canada. CR is very clean, one can drink out of the tap, the food is good( not Mexican, no enchilada-shit), the people are wonderful, crime is low, and the beaches are fantastic.

Edited By cam on 1201303544
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

Thanks.

I do know that it is totally polluted, and I am fine with that. I agree, it is the history that I am interested in - otherwise I would go to the beach version of Mexico.
I have to go someplace because I began my night school Spanish lessons yesterday...
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I have a friend who'sa Mexico City native and who's family still lives there. I'll ask him for suggestions.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Do it. I'd rather go to Mexico City as well, just for the history.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

I am planning on taking advantage of the near parity between the Canadian $ and the US $ this year. I'm am hoping to go to New York City in May and have been considering a visit to Mexico City in March.
I don't want to sit on the beach and I figure that M. City will have museums and old buildings for me to enjoy. But everyone I tell that I am going there on vacation (a travel agent included) looks at me like I am a crazy person.

Return to “General Off-Topic”