Who are you? Where do you live?

dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

cam wrote:I had forgotten Editman. And his wife who had something to do with another film in another capacity. I think her film did well, if I remember. It was interesting following his train of thought.
She was a co-producer on The Cider House Rules, and was nominated the next year as a producer of Chocolat, the film that unfortunately brought his relationship with this board to an end.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

According to IMDB, his wife was nominated for Best Picture in 2000. She is a producer.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

I had forgotten Editman. And his wife who had something to do with another film in another capacity. I think her film did well, if I remember. It was interesting following his train of thought.
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

cam wrote:Memories--do any of you remember Chloe Sevigny's cousin?
I do remeber her. Not her name though. I also remember Editman, who asked us what each of us would write in an Oscar speech. Afterwards he let us know who he really was. And i also remember sombody asking him to thank this board, in case he won. lol.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Memories--I remember Manolis very well.( good to see you back) In 2000 I was busy hyping Jean Smart in Guinevere( she was very good, but alas...)
Memories--do any of you remember Chloe Sevigny's cousin?
Talk about "hijacking" : this girl was everywhere and always!

Edited By cam on 1199646431
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Cinemanolis wrote:Yes, Big Magilla my last post was around 2000. BTW i just saw the thread you were refearing to, and i must admit i was touched! I didn't use to post very often. I used to take part in the polls and list making, but i was more of a reader in that board, and i didn't think many people would still remember me.
I still have your list of the 200 best movies. The newest film on the list was from 1999 so I guess you have been gone that long...but not forgotten.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Of course, I can't forget anyone who's a member of the OFTA...especially someone who's been part of the OFTA a REALLY long time...as long as Magill if memory serves.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

The change of the location was probably what made me disappear. I tried to find if this board continued to exist somewhere else, but to not much success. At one point i did find a forum with familiar names but no one seemed to have posted a new thread for quite some time so i thought that everybody had followed different internet directions. I very happy you didn't.

Yes, Big Magilla my last post was around 2000. BTW i just saw the thread you were refearing to, and i must admit i was touched! I didn't use to post very often. I used to take part in the polls and list making, but i was more of a reader in that board, and i didn't think many people would still remember me.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Little late for this but... all the same, My name is Theo, I'm 27 years old, married, from Venezuela. I'm a physicyan since 2004 and right now I'm in my 2nd year as a resident/student of Internal Medicine... and as you all have noticed, I have a lousy english...

Got married on 2006, my wife is also a physician but she's getting a degree on Pediatrics. No kids on our early future though! On my free time, well, I looooove to sleep cause that's one of the things I don't do as much as I want. I write short stories since I was 18, just for personal use. I love films since childhood, but as a serious issue in my life, I have to say 1991 was the year. I live in Caracas for studying reasons, but my parents live in a city in the center of the country. That's where I spent christmas with my brothers and sister, and nephews, etc, etc... it was pretty nice.

I had one of the best moments of my life last December when our president finally lost an ellection for a constitution's reform. So ours was actually a very Happy Christmas!

I made a documentary film course with a local director a few years ago, but as a whole I'm quite amateur on my views... I definitely enjoy music, favorite band: Radiohead. I also enjoy reading (Cortazar, Borges and Herman Hesse are my favorites) and as I've said before, I just love this place...

Edited By HarryGoldfarb on 1205258481
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It must be mental telepathy, Manolis. We were talking about you having disappeared in another thread. You must have lost touch when the board changed locations. Have you really been gone since 2000?
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Welcome back Cinemanolis! I remember you from your Manolis handle and your Greek nationality, but after eight years it'll be good to get re-acquainted.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The board has been in continuous existence. The only difference is the format/location of the board.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Happy new year to all!

I used to post here around 8 years ago as Manolis. I rememeber many of the names i see here: Wesley, Big Magilla (of course), Sonic Youth, ITALIANO, Damien (to whom i still owe a copy of 'Death of a Salesman' with Frederic March), rainBard, dws, REZA and many others. I was really disapointed when that forum ceased to exist circa 2000 (am i right?), because it was one of the few places in the internet i could discuss about classic and foreign movies. From the discussions in this site i first heard about Ozu, Malle, Antonioni etc. and learned how to apreciate them.

I live in Athens, Greece. I am 28 and i am (still) trying to get my diploma of Political Sciences from the University of Athens. I also took some Film Studies course at the New York University (which despite of its title is situated here in Athens), while running my family business, along with my brother.

I have taken part in a few short films and took some theatre classes. For 2 years i used to review films for a greek cinema site, which gave me the opportunity to attend and cover the 2005 Venice Film Festival for them.

However during the last year things have changed since i started working in the theatre. I worked as assistant director in the National Theatre of Greece in 3 productions: Pirandello's Henry IV and Racine's Andromache (Epidaurus Theater) where i also had a role. I also translated 'Festen' for the greek stage.

I am so happy i found this board again. Cheers!
Last edited by Cinemanolis on Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Akash wrote:I've landed a paid internship with The Nation which I'm obviously very excited about and I'll be doing that until the summer.

Congratulations! And hey, at least this means you won't be broke anymore. I was going to start a collection for you when I saw your myspace pictures, because it seemed you were so poor, you couldn't even afford clothes!
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Good luck with Holly, Damien.

My HOA doesn't exactly ban cats. Owners are allowed to have them in their homes, but they have to have them on leashes if they go outside so the only time I see one in the neighborhood is if it's lost.

My sister offered to loan me her cat, Joey, who they named after me (my middle name is Joseph) when they got it as a kitten four years ago, but I don't want to take a chance on having him around rats. Mice, OK, but not rats.

I told the fat guy story to the exterminator who is a tall, skinny dude. He laughed, said it sounded just like his company. The poor guy must get all the dirty jobs just because he's the only one who can squeeze into crawlspaces.

Return to “General Off-Topic”