I need a word...

Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Salient is the first word that popped into my mind, the journalism ethic and all.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

pertinent, opportune, felicitous, germane, apposite, propitious.

I wouldn't get hung up trying to find the single perfect word if it's not there though. Use two or three words, or a phrase, if you have to. The important thing is to convey the meaning.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Nope, still none of these...I'm looking for definition that would include "prestige" pics.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Momentous.
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

chief, considerable, conspicuous, critical, crucial, decisive, determining, earnest, essential, exceptional, exigent, extensive, far-reaching, foremost, front-page*, grave, great, heavy*, imperative, importunate, influential, large, marked, material, mattering much, meaningful, momentous, necessary, of moment, of note, of substance, paramount, ponderous, pressing, primary, principal, relevant, salient, serious, signal, significant, urgent, vital, weighty, acute, burning, clamant, clamorous, constraining, critical, crucial, crying, imperative, importunate, insistent, instant, menacing, necessary, needful, pressing, threatening

... That is every single word the thesaurus gives as a synonym for "exigent".

You're welcome. :D
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I don't know that it starts with 'im' as I've looked at all those words I can.

Though, I do think Exigent is closest in meaning to the word I'm looking for, if that helps.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

Imperative, importunate, impulsive...

That's all I've got. :p
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I've been trying for the last half hour to come up with this word that fits perfectly into what I'm writing and I can't come up with it.

The word describes movies that may have past implications but have an impact on the present. They feel like they have to be told right now. Something along the lines of immediate, important, crucial, of-the-moment...I can't figure out the word want. I could swear it starts with 'im', but I'm not 100% on that.

Can anyone help me?
Wesley Lovell

Return to “General Off-Topic”