RIP Heath Ledger

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

kaytodd wrote:Do we know if Heath suffered an injury that would call for a prescription of Oxycontin? My understanding is that is only SUPPOSED to be prescribed in cases of serious pain only after other drugs have not succeeded. We are talking objective injuries to the spine causing chronic pain, not just muscle strains and sprains. Oxycontin is highly addictive. People who get hooked on it spend a lot of time and energy drug seeking. If they have the means and cooperative healthcare providers, they will often make sure they have pain medications around all the time. What a shame if Heath had that kind of addiction. It changes your life. Hard to be a good husband and father and have a demanding career if you are addicted to those kind of drugs.

Yeah, that was the point I was trying to make. We all know Oxycontin's rep by now (Rush Limbaugh, anyone?) It's choice recreation among the affluent yuppie class. I'd imagine Ledger's addiction was in the beginning stages, and he didn't know how to properly take the meds. Most experienced junkies tend to be more careful than that.

What a waste. Everything I've read says he was the nicest guy, and everyone loved him.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1202407186
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

Do we know if Heath suffered an injury that would call for a prescription of Oxycontin? My understanding is that is only SUPPOSED to be prescribed in cases of serious pain only after other drugs have not succeeded. We are talking objective injuries to the spine causing chronic pain, not just muscle strains and sprains. Oxycontin is highly addictive. People who get hooked on it spend a lot of time and energy drug seeking. If they have the means and cooperative healthcare providers, they will often make sure they have pain medications around all the time. What a shame if Heath had that kind of addiction. It changes your life. Hard to be a good husband and father and have a demanding career if you are addicted to those kind of drugs.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

You are right, and that might apply for a new brand name drug on the market when a representative visits the office and coaxes them to use their product. These are all generics and have been for quite some time, so it would not have been the case at least here.

At least here in Ohio, we have a state drug database for narcotics and anything that is an FDA controlled substance. This, with ideal pharmacist and doctor performance, should prohibit the ability for a patient to receive more oxycodone than what the directions from the doctor say, thus spanning the numerous chains of pharmacies.

Hence, if Heath's oxycodone or hydrocodone prescription said take one tablet twice a day for pain and he received 60 tablets, he should not be dispensed anymore for 29 or 30 days, period

But then studies show about 60% of Americans take their medicine the way it's prescribed and either run out quickly or end up having a lot sitting around for a case of what seems to have happened with Ledger.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Doctors often get kickbacks from drug companies for prescriptions. It's not necessarily always the individual's fault. The more scrips the doctor writes, the more money he gets. It's sad, but disturbing.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

It's really sad how many people can get Oxycontin or Percocet written from any doctor, I suppose if they just assert themselves it seems....I am certain (trusting of his doctor and fellow pharmacists) that his medicine cabinet had to have been a progression, and it's a horrible shame it happened this way.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Anyone else wondering how much (bodily) pain he was really in that he had to use Oxy?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Bog wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:Hydrocodone is another name for ibuprofen.

Not quite, that's Vicodin, a definite prescription drug.

Ibuprofen is Motrin or Advil, an over-the-counter product
There are prescription doses for Ibuprofen though. They're about 800mg. I had to take it for my headaches.

But your point still stands.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Sonic Youth wrote:Hydrocodone is another name for ibuprofen.
Not quite, that's Vicodin, a definite prescription drug.

Ibuprofen is Motrin or Advil, an over-the-counter product
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

NEW YORK (AP) - Actor Heath Ledger died of an accidental overdose of prescription drugs that included painkillers, sleeping pills and anti-anxiety medication, the New York City medical examiner said Wednesday.

"Mr. Heath Ledger died as the result of acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam and doxylamine," medical examiner's spokeswoman Ellen Borakove said in a news release.

The drugs are the generic names for the OxyContin painkiller, the anti-anxiety drug Valium, Xanax, an anti-anxiety drug, and the sleep aids Restoril and Unisom. Hydrocodone is another name for ibuprofen.

The ruling comes two weeks after the 28-year-old Australian-born actor was found dead in the bed of his rented SoHo apartment. Police found bottles of six types of prescription drugs, including sleeping pills and anti-anxiety medication, in his bedroom and bathroom, raising speculation of an accidental drug overdose.

Ledger was discovered by his masseuse on Jan. 22 after she arrived for an appointment that afternoon. She entered his bedroom to set up for the massage and found him unresponsive, and proceeded to call actress Mary-Kate Olsen three times over the next nine minutes before dialing 911. Ledger had been dead for some time, and police say no foul play occurred.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1202313143
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Anon
Temp

Post by Anon »

Poor Jake! :(
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Jake Gyllenhaal is struggling to cope after Heath Ledger's death
31 January 2008

'Brokeback Mountain' star Jake Gyllenhaal is finding life without Heath Ledger tough. Jake is godfather to Heath's daughter Matilda.

A friend of Jake has told People.com: "Jake is taking this harder than most people.
"This has had a strong personal effect on (Jake)."

Jake left the set of his latest film when he heard of Heath's death but returned on Thursday for filming.

A source has told People.com: "He was there, but he wasn't with us. It was obviously a major trauma.

"These guys were very close. (Jake) was sitting in the director's chair staring off into space."

-------------------
Jake Gyllenhaal carried a picture of Heath Ledger in his pocket
1 February 2008 - Jake Gyllenhaal can't believe he will never see Heath Ledger again.

'The Brokeback Mountain' star is still struggling to cope after Heath Ledger's unexpected death.

Jake Gyllenhaal is the godfather to Heath's daughter with Michelle Williams.

A source told People.com that Jake is struggling and that the atmosphere on the set of his latest movie has changed completely.

The source told of the time before Heath died, when everyone was laughing. During an early scene in the shooting of 'Brothers' everyone was tense because it was a prison scene.

According to the source Jake took out a picture of Heath from his pocket and pinned it up on the wall: "Like those prisoners put (loved ones) on the wall, but Jake's was Heath Ledger...That was hilarious. It was a nice moment."

This all happened before the tragic news of Heath's death broke.

The People.com source added: "When you think back on it now, it's touching."
--------------------------
Brokeback Mountain star is still in shock

Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger became close while shooting Brokeback Mountain and Heath's death has been a terrible shock to his co-star.

Jake is godfather to Heath's two-year-old daughter Matilda and was devastated by last week's news.

'He is taking this harder than most people,' says a pal.

Currently shooting Brothers in New Mexico, Jake left the set on 22 January immediately after he heard that Heath had been found dead.

When he returned, he wasn't his usual self.

'He was there, but he wasn't with us,' a source tells People.com. 'It was obviously a major trauma. These guys were very close. [Jake] was sitting in the director's chair staring off into space.'

Jake, 27, has now been given time off to mourn and has been spotted with girlfriend Reese Witherspoon in Los Angeles.

Director Jim Sheridan is shooting other scenes while he waits for the actor to return from compassionate leave.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

While we are all saddened, I think this comic is thoroughly appropriate. It's Monday's comic, so if you somehow don't get this until after it's been updated, you can hopefully find it. Anyway, i do love this webcomic. It's really quite funny and right up some people on this board's alley.

Multiplex
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

I love Michelle Williams. I've loved her ever since she was on The Creek (and was easily the most likable actor on that ridiculous show) and I enjoyed watching her film career slowly build. She seems like a genuine, sweet, careful, thoughtful actress and I honestly thought her tender, subtle performance in "Brokeback Mountain" deserved the Academy Award. No offense to the lovely Rachel Weisz but I was puzzled why everything lined up so perfectly for her (Globe/SAG/Oscar) when at least two other actresses (Michelle Williams and Amy Adams) were equally if not more deserving.

I think the media should respect her wishes and just let the poor family mourn in peace. And it's sad to think that Heath's daughter will never really "know" him, but beautiful that Michelle intends to raise her with the best memories of him. I hope Williams has a long and wonderful career. She deserves it. Terrific young woman.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Michelle Williams: 'My Heart Is Broken'
Feb. 1, 2008, 2:14 PM EST
The Associated Press

Michelle Williams broke her silence Friday, saying her "heart is broken" over Heath Ledger in her first statement since the "Brokeback Mountain" actor's death.

The 27-year-old actress and Ledger became a couple during filming of 2005's "Brokeback," in which they costarred as husband and wife. They later settled in New York, and had a daughter, Matilda, born October 2005.

"Please respect our need to grieve privately," Williams said in a statement. "My heart is broken. I am the mother of the most tender-hearted, high-spirited, beautiful little girl who is the spitting image of her father. All that I can cling to is his presence inside her that reveals itself every day."

Ledger, 28, died in his Manhattan apartment Jan. 22. Authorities suspect a possible drug overdose, but the cause of his death is still pending the outcome of toxicology tests. Police said several prescription drugs were found in the Manhattan apartment where the actor's body was found.

"His family and I watch Matilda as she whispers to trees, hugs animals, and takes steps two at a time, and we know that he is with us still," Williams said. "She will be brought up in the best memories of him."
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

The producers of The Dark Knight have set up a memorial site for Heath over at the movie's website.

http://thedarkknight.warnerbros.com/HeathMemorial.html
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)

Return to “The People”