ASC Nominees

For the films of 2022
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: ASC Nominees

Post by Mister Tee »

Question here: did the guild members skip past Maverick because it's out of the Oscar race, or were they just not as impressed with it as all those gazillion critics' groups (including, shamefully, NY)?

All Quiet wasn't on the roster, of course, so not dispositive. But congratulations to Walker, for breaking that glass ceiling, only a few years after the first female nomination.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Mandy Walker wins the ASC for Elvis. The first female ASC winner.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

OscarGuy wrote
With Bardo in here and at ADG, does this mean that Decision to Leave and RRR are waning while All Quiet and Bardo or waxing at the right moments?
Decision to Leave for sure is waning. I would've thought it a good bet for critics groups and crossing over to below the line a couple of months ago.

I don't think RRR is waning exactly. It's not surprising the British didn't go for it.

All Quiet... is definitely rising at the right time. As for Bardo, Innaritu has friends in the industry.

I had no idea Darius Khondji shot it. Out of habit, I thought it was Lubeszki. Khondji is likely due for a second nomination. His cinematography output in 1995 was the stuff of legends (The City of Lost Children and Seven).
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

With Bardo in here and at ADG, does this mean that Decision to Leave and RRR are waning while All Quiet and Bardo or waxing at the right moments?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Yay for Empire of Light I might be the only person who liked the film and it was gorgeous to look at. One of Olivia Colman’s strongest performances too.

Never count her out. The Academy loves her.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

ASC Nominees

Post by Sabin »

A little while ago, I told Wes that I didn't think that Avatar: The Way of Water not showing up across the BAFTA longlist was a major sign of weakness. Retracting that now.

Best Cinematography
The Batman
Bardo, False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths
Elvis
Empire of Light
Top Gun: Maverick

Documentary
All That Breathes
Chef’s Table: Pizza – “Franco Pepe”
This Stolen Country of Mine

Spotlight Award
God’s Country