What drives you crazy? - ..in film...

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

They seemed so bored that they were on the verge of escaping from the movie.
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Seriously. Helen of Troy was so useless and the boys in that film seemed like they were on the verge of just going at it with each other.

I was so disappointed when they didn't.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Steph2 wrote:Lack of male nudity. Bad movies like Troy would be much better if hotties like Brad Pitt, Eric Bana and Orlando Bloom dropped trou at some point.

I'm gonna have to second that, Steph.

Edited By flipp525 on 1196027904
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Lack of male nudity. Bad movies like Troy would be much better if hotties like Brad Pitt, Eric Bana and Orlando Bloom dropped trou at some point.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Here's one I caught in one of the 11 movies (so far) I watched this weekend.

When people brush their teeth, they don't seem to actually use toothpaste or if they do, they don't use very much and it seems so artificial and "gee, we have to brush for the kids"-like.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

the lack of naturalness in most sex scenes. I have one exception in mind. Jessicas Lange and Jack Nichoson in The Postman always rings twice.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Philip: 1) I taught high school. Not cool. But do not remember my own kids ever wearing them. My son graduated in 1984.
2) US styles are ahead of Canadians.
At any rate. You did not see them in 1969, which was my point.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Good catch, Cam. I graduated high school in 1961. We didn't wear backpacks in NYC then. I don't know when they came back into fashion, but it definitely wasn't the early 60s.

I missed that one, but did catch another - the Esso gas station. It would have been Exxon in an East coast city like Baltimore. Esso was only in the West.

As for the film itself, I was pleasantly surprised not having expected much. My full review will be in my DVD report on OscarGuy's main site on Tuesday (the 27th).
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

cam wrote:I taught school during all those years, and left in 1984, and even at that late date, do not remember kids wearing back-packs to school.

Really? I was in first grade in the fall of 1984 and we all definitely had backpacks. I remember it became "cool" again to wear both straps around 1993 when I entered high school.

Edited By flipp525 on 1196021240
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

A new one. I have been brooding about this all week. First of all, couldn't stand Hairspray and see no reason for it to be so highly rated. But the director went out of his way to make this a 1969 feeling--the cars, the clothes, the dances,etc. Why the hell then does he muck it up right at the outset by having our herione wear a knapsack?? I taught school during all those years, and left in 1984, and even at that late date, do not remember kids wearing back-packs to school. Notice none of her classmates had them.
Sheesh! :angry:
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Uri wrote:(I have major problem with Italian movies up to the ‘70s).
Ah, so true... Fellini's or Visconti's movies could be masterpieces if it just weren't for that... :)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Another pet hate of mine is change of eye color. Sidney Lumet's Daniel is a case in point. The boy playing Timothy Hutton's character has a child. Yet Timothy Hutton has blue eyes. I've noticed this from time to time in films and it drives me crazy, particularly now that filmmakers should be able to obtain colored contact lenses.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Lets start with some hair maintenance issues:

Man being clean shaved no matter what the plotline is. Honorable mention: a man is being interrupted while shaving, he wipes the foam with a towel and surprise – his face is evenly shaves all over.

An obviously dyed hair will stay the same, no matter what. No grey roots in sight. Ever.

Female legs and armpits will always be smooth. And while we’re at it – in The Winter Guest Emma Thompson was playing a recently widowed woman in deep depression. She is seen coming out of the shower with hairy armpits, for there is no way the character she’s playing will do anything about it in the condition she’s in. Is it true that people in the US were so shocked, they had to remove that shameful hair digitally?

If the above complains were aimed at Hollywood products, I’ll counter it with a big issue I have with European films, and that’s using dubbing while filming the movie – shooting it silent and then adding the spoken tracks later, often by other actors (I have major problem with Italian movies up to the ‘70s). Or on co-productions, having actors of different nationalities, each speaking in his or her native tongue, and then being dubbed. (I’m so grateful there are not enough Hebrew speaking moviegoers, so here in Israel we always had subtitled movies, since it wasn’t financially justified to dub them).

And now to my pet cause: I want actors playing family members to look as if they are at least remotely related. I could live with blue eyed Michele Pfeiffer and Alec Baldwin having a son with brown ones (which is genetically impossible, unless Angela was playing around, and we know she wasn’t). I’m not being petty. But – yesterday I happened to see the first few moments of Once Around (which was all I could stand). Anyway – there you have Danny Aiello and Gena Rawlands towering over a bunch of dwarfs who were supposed to be their offsprings. Not acceptable in my book. And I can’t wait for the chance to see two of my favorite actresses ever, those modern Eleonora Duse and Sarah Bernhardt, Nicole Kidman and Jennifer Jason Leigh playing sisters. On the other hand, a script should be written especially for Catherine Zita Jones and Shohreh Aghdashloo, so they have a chance to play sisters or mother and daughter. I will pay money to see this movie if only for this casting.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Here's a major pet peeve of mine. It involves films like Stranger Than Fiction and The Nanny Diaries which establish a visual style that see frequent usage early in the production then maybe once or twice in the rest of the film, and then pretty much disappears for the last 30 minutes of the film (Nanny Diaries had a VERY brief return to theme but after more than 30 minutes of nothing).

If you're going to be daring, brave or attempting avant garde, at least follow all the way through.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Penelope wrote:I wear a t-shirt and shorts when I'm sleeping, but clothes kind of get in the way when I'm having sex.

So the same holds true for men in the movies: after having sex, a man will jump out of bed--and he's wearing shorts! Bah!

Perhaps the characters are aware of the audience and they clothe themselves just enough to block the goodies. If that's the case, they're breaking the fourth wall - which is a no-no in most cases in serious theatre (with the exception of narrating and monologues).

That brings me to another pet peeve of mine: characters looking at the camera ala Bugs Bunny when they haven't done so in the rest of the production.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."

Return to “Other Film Discussions”