[NE] Nomination Elim Game ('79- OSCARGUY)

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

That's why I did it, Magilla. People would lag out when we had nothing but Group 2 and 3 suggestions. So, by picking more in the lower categories, we increase the speed of participation (hopefully) by giving people only mainline categories to choose from, thus keeping things interesting.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Things are a little lopsided here.

Group 2 has 2 slots remaining and Group 3 has one, but Group 1 still has 11 slots undetermined.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Group 1: replace Ali McGraw with Faye Dunaway, Puzzle of a Downfall Child

Group 2: replace A Boy Named Charlie Brown with Beyond the Valley Of the Dolls, words & music by Bob Stone, Stu Phillips, and Lynn Carey

Group 3: add Zabriskie Point to Visual Effects

Edited By rain Bard on 1258020609
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Still sick and dying.
"How's the despair?"
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Big Magilla wrote:
Hustler wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:I don't see any point in giving Hustler another 48 hours in which we know he won't show up. Let's go to Sabin and allow Hustler, as become his practice, to take his turn when he show up once per week on either Friday, Saturday or Sunday.
I´m going to surprise you Magilla by showing up today. So, you never know with me!
As for this week end I´m going to Mar del Plata tonight to cover the international film festival. I´ll be there the coming four days.
I knew you'd show up once I said something!

Enjoy the festival.
Thanks! :laugh:
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Hustler wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:I don't see any point in giving Hustler another 48 hours in which we know he won't show up. Let's go to Sabin and allow Hustler, as become his practice, to take his turn when he show up once per week on either Friday, Saturday or Sunday.
I´m going to surprise you Magilla by showing up today. So, you never know with me!
As for this week end I´m going to Mar del Plata tonight to cover the international film festival. I´ll be there the coming four days.
I knew you'd show up once I said something!

Enjoy the festival.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Let´s go with my picks.

Group 1: Preserving Sarah Miles in Actress

Group 2: Preserving Darling Lili in Original Song Score

Group 3: Preserving Tora Tora Tora! in Visual Effects.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OK.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

If it's too much of a stretch, then I'll go with The Honeymoon Killers. I'm not all that familiar with Sherlock Holmes (outside of ... well, Wishbone), so Leonard Kastle's screenplay gets my nod.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I don't see any point in giving Hustler another 48 hours in which we know he won't show up. Let's go to Sabin and allow Hustler, as become his practice, to take his turn when he show up once per week on either Friday, Saturday or Sunday.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Okri wrote:2. Replace Joe with The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes in best original screenplay. My understanding is that this work is wholly original outside the characters, so I think I can bend the rules a little bit and slip it here.
I think this is really stretching it. Not just Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, but Mycroft Holmes and Mrs. Hudson were well established characters known to generations of readers, filmgoers, radio listeners and TV watchers, without whom Wilder and Diamond would have nothing to parody.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

1. Rescue James Earl Jones. Unfortunately, this is at the expense of Jack Nicholson, but I don't love this performance/film the way some people here do, so I'm not too torn about it.

2. Replace Joe with The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes in best original screenplay. My understanding is that this work is wholly original outside the characters, so I think I can bend the rules a little bit and slip it here.

2. Pass on making a second choice.

3. Preserve Patton in art direction.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Group 1: Knock James Earl Jones out of Best Actor and replace him with Jean-Louis Trintignant in My Night at Mauds.

Group 2: Let Patton keep its Screenplay nomination. It's not a great film maybe, but it's one of the stranger, more subversive war films of its era, despite the fact that it plays like a traditional war film. I'll give the Screenplay credit for that.

Group 3: Preserve Patton in Visual Effects. Don't feel terribly passionate about anything here.

Edited By dws1982 on 1257955187
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Cinemanolis wrote:P.S. I think that Jowy Jillia preserved the song from "Darling Lili" not the song score.
Yes, he did. Good catch!
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Group I
BEST PICTURE
"Women In Love" replaces "Patton"

Group II
BEST EDITING
"Catch 22" replaces "Tora!Tora!Tora!"

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
"Sunflower" is rescued and replaces "Cromwell"

Group III
BEST SOUND
Preserve "Tora!Tora!Tora!"

P.S. I think that Jowy Jillia preserved the song from "Darling Lili" not the song score.

Edited By Cinemanolis on 1257809259

Return to “Other Film Discussions”