UAADB History - Irrelevant questions about ourselves...

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Yes. Now you know. :)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

ITALIANO wrote:But in real life he was a very respectable banker.
Wait . . . Magilla was a banker. And loves Bells of St. Mary's. Oh, no, don't tell me . . . :D
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

But in real life he was a very respectable banker.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

ITALIANO wrote:He was obsessed by nuns.
Oh, I remember Sister Luke and his nun fetish. Wasn't he always referencing A Nun's Story as well?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

He was obsessed by nuns.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Big Magilla wrote:Then there was Sister Luke, who left after being castigated for starting all those polls on nuns. He was actually a banker from New Jersey.

???

What was that about? Polls on nuns??
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla wrote:Of course I remember Hedgy. He got pissed about something and stopped posting here years ago, but he has remained friends with Brian (rainBard) and they occasionally see one another at Bay Area screenings.
Why doesn't Rain Bard ask Hedgy to come back here? That guy is SO intelligent. He belongs here.

I remember Sister Luke... Well, let's face it, this board is great, but it has a talent for attracting its share of weird people...
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Of course I remember Hedgy. He got pissed about something and stopped posting here years ago, but he has remained friends with Brian (rainBard) and they occasionally see one another at Bay Area screenings.

Xanadu actually had an Oscar site before Oscar Guy. I think it was called Aweards Heaven, but it didn't have a discussion board. If I remember correctly he had a link to Oscar Guy's site, which brought me here.

The guy Italiano is referring to is Yamil, who came back with a similar name but got banned after a fight with Sonic Youth, if I recall. He had a lot of similarities to Akash. In fact I kind of suspected that his friend, who also posted on the old board, was, in fact, an alter ego but I don't think he was ever malicious, just deeply disturbed.

Then there was Sister Luke, who left after being castigated for starting all those polls on nuns. He was actually a banker from New Jersey.
Mike Kelly
Temp

Post by Mike Kelly »

I got my first computer in 1997 and immediately started searching for Academy Award related web pages, which led to The Oscar Guy and UAADB.

There was another poster in the early days called Hedgy. He was a wealth of info on Oscar facts and trivia and often would come up with some real tester quizzes. Remember him, Magilla?
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

flipp525 wrote:

Yes, we really have been through the gamut on this board. I don't remember anything quite as bizarre as the The Three Faces of Akash or Sybil, the Life of a Pschyopathic with MPD, though. That is definitely one for the UAADB history books.
They will make an (Oscar-nominated) documentary about us one day :)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

We pre-date The Envelope/Gold Derby/Oscar Watch by a long shot. If there are any others out there, I'm not familiar with them.

Hell, my website, the OFTA and such have been in existence an incredibly crazy amount of time and it's really scary to think that more than half of the precursors came around AFTER the OFTA...

Edited By OscarGuy on 1205349917
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

ITALIANO wrote:Later, he came back with a different nickname pretending to be his own best friend (a la Akash). I mean, we've have been through so much here...
Oh lord, you just have to love that. It reminds me of the character Amanda Dolor in Nicky Silver's wonderful satirical play "The Food Chain". She tells a 24-hour hotline operator named Bea that when she came back to high school after having lost an obscene amount of weight, she told everyone that she was her own cousin and they all believed her.

Yes, we really have been through the gamut on this board. I don't remember anything quite as bizarre as the The Three Faces of Akash or Sybil, the Life of a Pschyopathic with MPD, though. That is definitely one for the UAADB history books.

OscarGuy, didn't you once claim that we're the longest running Internet message board that's still in existence? That's got to count for something.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I think I came here in 1999, because I can't remember having commented on Titanic's many nominations, but I'm sure that right after those Oscars I took part in those discussions about Titanic vs LA Confidential. I know that Big Magilla was here already - actually it was his posts who made me stay here and, after a while, take actively (some would say TOO actively!) part in this board. Uri was also already a member by then. And I remember a young guy from Puerto Rico, very nice but a bit crazy, who at some point said that he'd commit suicide (a la Penelope, but without such an important reason as soaps!), and I had to call him to prevent him from doing that. Later, he came back with a different nickname pretending to be his own best friend (a la Akash). I mean, we've have been through so much here...

I chose ITALIANO as my nick not because I'm especially proud to be Italian (and nowadays I'm even less proud of course), but simply because I thought that it was better to explain from the start why my English isn't exactly Oxford-like.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I actually don't remember when I first came to Oscarguy's board, but I was here before the new board, maybe 2001 or 2000.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I joined the board in 1998. I remember my first Oscars on UAADB was the infamous Titanic Oscars. I was mostly a lurker back then with only the occasional post. When the board migrated to the new ikonboard, I was living in Tokyo at the time and you guys were sort of a home base for me at a lonely time in my life.

The origin of my screen name is two-fold: a) my family nickname is "Flipper" and b) I was obsessed with RENT at the time and the song "Seasons of Love (525,600 Minutes)", hence the 525.

Edited By flipp525 on 1205377496

Return to “General Off-Topic”