The Closed Topic

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I can assure you something. I don´t observe the same treat between americans than between these and latin. I don´t observe the same dealing between gays than between these and straights. There is some kind of prejudice flying over this board. In that context, your words are expressing feelings, they´re not a war declaration.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I hope so.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I Think Magilla misunderstood your comments.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Thank you, Huster. I'm shocked by Big Magilla's narrow, one-sided vision. But maybe it's just because I dare to say to his friends what I think of them, once in a while.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Big Magilla wrote:First of all, I am furious with Italiano for once again bringing up the same old crap. This is why wars go on for centuries in other parts of the world. People can't let go of old grudges, old hates. It is not an American thing - in America we forgive and forget and go on, which is not something Italiano can accept or understand for all his wisdom in other areas.
Magilla, I don´t agree with you. People can forgive when they afford to empty all their sorrows, all their internal feelings. Evidently, Italian has many things dependent on clarification.
I don´t think that forgiveness is an american concept at all. I share your thaughts and I assume Italiano does.
As for this board, I don´t see that many members here can let go of old grudges. It doesn´t apply for Italiano.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla wrote:First of all, I am furious with Italiano for once again bringing up the same old crap. This is why wars go on for centuries in other parts of the world. People can't let go of old grudges, old hates. It is not an American thing - in America we forgive and forget and go on, which is not something Italiano can accept or understand for all his wisdom in other areas.
Big Magilla, which old crap did I bring out "once again"? Did I ever mention that old thread about Oscar Guy? Did I ever post any link to those past threads where some of your friends come out as complete idiots? Don't be a coward - and definitely don't blame me for something I didn't do. You are ridiculous - for some time now. And it's about time that someone says this to you.

First it was sex, now that thread... Uri is right: your latest act of censorship IS spinterish and frankly absurd. If a person didn't want to read that thread, all he had to do was to ignore it. He wasn't forced to read it. Closing it is, I think, an unacceptable act of censorship. I don't want to discuss your way of living, your choices, and your principles - but one thing I'm sure of: you can't impose them on all the others here who think - and feel - in a different way. If this is what you do "in America", as you say, it's wrong. Completely wrong. And someone has to say this clearly to you. It's a moralistic approach that I find, honestly, truly annoying.

Please NEVER close any thread AGAIN before asking the rest of the board. Since you are always concerned about good manners - and rightly so - just remember that this isn't the best way of showing them. You were worried about 10-year-old potential posters being shocked by some innocent, joking references to sex. I think censorship would be much less formative - violence always is.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

But it's precisely the free-wheeling aspect of our discussions that I cherish about this board, as well as the lack of serious censorship. There are soap opera boards that are moderated by fascists; that we can discuss anything under the sun, and within the context of whatever topic at hand, is something we should embrace not prevent.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

I did not see this argument, and I am glad. BUT: Can we get back to something either you or OG said?
The topics get off track so fast( someone called it "hijacked" when the topic changes from the original), and in all my years here, I have not seen this happen so often. It often happens that jokes are made and the joke becomes the discussion.
We should *all* be alert to this problem, and try to get the topic back on track, and it should not be left to OG or Magilla to have to remove discussions or censor them.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

First of all, the thread was originally about "the youngest film critic", an interesting topic that some of us tried several times to bring the dicusssion back to. Anyone innocently straying onto the topic might expect to find some insight into that. Instead they are propelled into no less than three separate arguments, all of which turned very nasty very fast.

Not everyone who finds these kinds of things distasteful are going to state their feelings publicly. Some will take the time to e-mail me privately, and probably OG and others as well. Others will just leave quietly. While there may be a place for these kinds of discussions, hijacking threads that are about something else entirely is not the best place to do it. I would suggest in future than when a thread moves out of its orignal topic area into something else that before responding, the individual who feels strongly that a response is necessary open a new thread in this miscellaneous off-topic section where those who are not interested in seeing everyone's dirty laundry do not have to go.

At first I was going to sift through all the posts and copy the thread, eliminating the non-germane posts in the one about the youngest film critic and eliminate the germane topics from the one that got personal so those arguments could remain for those who were inclined to continue in that vein. However, when the thread turned comical with its references to posters as movie titles, I felt it was a good place to end it on as high a note as possible.

Now, as to my particular feelings on the matter:

First of all, I am furious with Italiano for once again bringing up the same old crap. This is why wars go on for centuries in other parts of the world. People can't let go of old grudges, old hates. It is not an American thing - in America we forgive and forget and go on, which is not something Italiano can accept or understand for all his wisdom in other areas.

Secondly, I am not happy with Eric for thoughtlessly referencing Zach's old board and opening old wounds or Sonic for perpetuating it.

Thirdly, I don't know why Sonic keeps dancing around his apology. Personally I think he ought to be sorry for what he said, but if it was me he offended I wouldn't want an apology unless it was sincere. My usual reaction if someone says or does sometihing mean to me is is to examine what I said or did to make someone so angry with me, but that's just me - I'm not suggesting that OG said or did anything remotely justifying Sonic's comments of over five years ago. But it was over five years ago and no good can come by bringing all this up all over again. However, it has been brought up and the air needs to be cleared so if OG or Sonic have anything further to say they ought to do it and everyone else ought to stay out of it.

Fourthly, while it is heartening to see someone champion OG in the way that Steph did, there are two sides to every story. Zach's board was up for well over two years before this occurrance. Something must have happened on the old UAADB to cause the flare-up. Without the missing pages from that board it is impossible for someone who wasn't there to know what happened before the explosion. Even some of us who were there, don't remember and don't wish to expend the energy to try and recall what it might have been.

I will say this about Sonic - he does not have two faces. If he was still feeling hostility toward OG when he joined the new board, he would have let him and everyone else know it.

Fifthly, if Uri wants to think of me as a spinsterly old lady that's his prerogative.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Sabin wrote:Wait, wait, wait...there was a "disruptive discussion" between Sonic and Steph that needed to be stopped...and I wasn't a part of it? What happened? What was it? Details.
Feelings were hurt about peoples feelings being hurt, and so on.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Wait, wait, wait...there was a "disruptive discussion" between Sonic and Steph that needed to be stopped...and I wasn't a part of it? What happened? What was it? Details.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Let's not get angry at Magilla. He did what he honestly thought was right. It wasn't meant as malicious.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I don't remember anyone threatening to leave.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

I didn't like the path some of the interactions on that thread took, and I think I made it quite clear, but shutting it up was a little bit too spinstery act even for my prudish taste.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I hate to say it, but this thread is going to Crash.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."

Return to “General Off-Topic”