OLTL (aka, The Best Show on TV) - You should be watching this show!

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Keep us updated, Penelope. I might have to pick this one up!
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Spoiler:
OLTL will be joining the gay soap bandwagon by adding their own male-male couple. This isn't the first time OLTL has featured gay characters, but is apparently the first time it's being done as a romantic storyline.

By the way, among currently airing soap operas, this makes only Days of Our Lives and The Bold & the Beautiful to have not featured gay characters either in the past or present. As the World Turns, Guiding Light, The Young and the Restless and now OLTL currently feature gay/lesbian characters, while All My Children and General Hospital have done so in the past.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

barrybrooks, come back! I need to know that new muscle god that Tess/Jess has been talking to. I think I'm in love!
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

No. She was in an accident a while back and not only does she have amnesia but she is somewhat disabled and is going through physical therapy to get her strength back. Todd has told her that John McBain (a previous love interest of Marty's) will be after her if he knows she is alive so Todd has convinced her to stay hidden.

Awesome.
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

--barrybrooks8 wrote:I also think that if there is a wedding of any kind, she'll probably get her memory back the same day.

Oh, definitely. That's so soapy. Or she'll flashback to the rape on her wedding night. Has anyone filled her in on her history with Todd?

Edited By OscarGuy on 1248321286

barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

She has had amnesia since coming back, and Todd has been taking care of her. He has truly fallen for her and they will soon share a granchild. I think it's a great turn-around the story! I also think that if there is a wedding of any kind, she'll probably get her memory back the same day.
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Someone tell me I did not just see a promo where Todd was proposing marriage to Marty, the woman he gang-raped with two other guys at a fraternity party 15 years ago. The mind, it boggles.

barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

Well, here's what's happening now. Marty's character died about 6 months ago. It ws played by someone else who I don't think she ever clicked with audiences. She sure didn't with me. So in pure-soap fashion, Marty isn't really dead and no one knows. The man hiding her has been murdered and by luck, Todd stumbled upon her in the dead man's apartment and is now keeping her in his new house. She has mega-memory loss so she knows nothing about anything, and I have a gut feeling the writers will have her fall for him before she gets her memory back; heck, he may fall for her as well. She has hardly changed over the years, physically that is.

My brush with fame: In high school, for 11th grade English class, I wrote a poem about my love for Marty Sayebrooke that I eventually entered into a contest and won at the state level. Hilarious enough, right? Then later, in college, I was working at the Gap in Charlotte, NC one Saturday night, and who walked in my store? Susan Haskall (Marty) and her on-screen partner (Patrick Thornheart). I immediately went to them, asked them why they were there (a charity blood drive with ABC) and gushed about how much I loved her. They were both surprised that I knew her real name, and of course, I went there and told her about the poem. She was very gracious and even gave me a hug. So obviously, I was extremely excited to find out she was coming back, and I hope it's for a while.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I'm not a regular viewer of OLTL but, as Penelope has stated below, the consensus among critcs and audiences alike is that it's the best soap on daytime at the moment.

I've never been a regular viewer, however, I did catch the gang rape storyline that was featured back in 1993. This is the storyline that brought Susan Haskell (who portrayed the original Marty Saybrooke and who has now apparently returned to the show). The sheer brutality of the rape, which featured three fraternity brothers taking turns on Marty, during a keg party led by ringleader Todd Manning, rivals Eden Capwell Castillo's infamous rape on Santa Barbara in the late 80's, Kayla's marital rape by Jack Devereux on Days and, more recently, Brooke's rape on B&B.

From what I understand, Todd's daughter and Marty's son are now a couple on the show which I find sort of bizarrely Shakespearean. For anyone who's watching now, how do Marty and Todd interact with each other? I know original-recipe Todd is now Paul on ATWT, but there must be some interesting scenes there.

Edited By flipp525 on 1214927125

barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

I started watching OLTL back in 1992 and it became my favorite almost instantly. I will say it does have pretty good writing and what's the most exceptional is that it consistently makes references to characters and family members who are no longer around, for continuity's sake. I did read about Joey, and a slew of other characters all coming back soon, including the original Tina Lord Buchanan who had to leave back in the 80s due to a real life stalker. The character and actress I am most excited about returning is the original Marty Sayebrooke.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

According to the critics, OLTL is currently the best soap on the air, with many saying it has the best writing. I've never watched it myself, though I'm familiar with some of the major characters (Erika, Dorian) and some of the more famous stories (the Karen Wolek s/l from the late 70s, the notorious month-long party in the early 80s [seriously, it was a one-evening party that the show stretched for an entire month!]).

I've heard that they are bringing back the character of Joey Buchanan, and there was some rumblings that Eric William Morris (ex-Matt, ATWT) would be ideal for the role, but I've not heard anything more about this.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

Does anyone on here watch One Life to Live???

Return to “Broadcast Media”