Plamegate

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Like you're knowledgable about anything. You think New York isn't a border state.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I will only say I am surprised by the verdict. Even Special Prosecutor Fitzgerald had said that Libby's indictment had nothing to do with the actual leak, but about obstructing his investigation of the leak. So I thought that such a non-charge wouldn't get him jail time. I was wrong on that count. Well, if he did obstruct the case, then he did something wrong and deserves punishment for it. But really, the whole thing was a fishing expedition. No one has been directly prosecuted for the actual act of leaking the information that was the purpose of the investigation to begin with.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I see you lurking, criddic. Before you say anything, let me save you some time.

Yadda yadda yadda, underlying crime, yadda yadda, wasn't covert, yadda yadda, was a secretary, yadda yadda.

Now put your talking points away.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

criddic3 wrote:The jurors themselves were sympathetic towards Libby after the verdict was handed down. I have no doubt that Libby can be successful in an appeal.
Wrong.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>2 1/2 Years, $250,000 Fine</span>

ABC News

Vice President Dick Cheney's former chief of staff is headed to prison for two and a half years.

Federal Judge Reggie Walton also ordered I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby to pay $250,000 in fines. Additionally, the former aide will be on probation for two years following the completion of his prison term. Libby must report to a probation officer within 72 hours of sentencing, unless Walton allows Libby to be free on bond pending appeal of the case. Court is still in session while the judge considers the request.

White House Aide to Convicted Felon

Libby was convicted in March on four felony charges -- claiming he lied to the FBI and a grand jury, as well as obstructed justice -- related to the CIA Leak probe, the three-year investigation that revealed the behind-the-scenes workings of the White House's inner circle.

The investigation toppled Libby from that upper echelon of the Washington power structure, forcing him to resign from the Bush administration when he received the only indictment in the case on October 28, 2005.

Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald wrote in his sentencing memorandum, filed last month: "Mr. Libby maintains that despite his conviction, he is totally innocent. He has expressed no remorse, no acceptance of responsibility, and no recognition that there is anything he should have done differently."

Supporters and friends of Libby had asked for leniency, since he was a high-ranking government official who was serving the public in his position at the White House.

But Libby's attorneys wrote in their sentencing memo, also filed last month: "There is no denying the seriousness of the crimes of which Mr. Libby was convicted. At the same time, there is no denying the kind of person Mr. Libby is and the contributions he has made to his country."

"A prison sentence for Mr. Libby would be 'greater than necessary' punishment in this case. A sentence of probation, perhaps combined with community service alternatives, would allow Mr. Libby to continue serving the public interest, and would still promote respect for the law," the memorandum continued.

A federal jury found Libby guilty March 6, 2007 of charges claiming he lied to the FBI and a grand jury, and obstructed justice.

Libby attorney Ted Wells insisted after the conviction that his client is "totally innocent" and that "he did not do anything wrong." The defense claimed Libby had a spotty memory, and should not have been convicted because of it.

Prosecution Calls Fall From Grace 'Sad'

But also after the conviction, prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald said it was "sad" that a "high level official in the vice president's office lied."

The jury of seven women and four men concluded Libby lied to FBI agents and a grand jury throughout the course of the investigation into the leaked identity of Valerie Plame, a one time undercover CIA operative.

Prosecutors argued Libby helped lead a campaign to refute and discredit Plame's husband, former Ambassador Joe Wilson.

The defense countered by attacking the credibility of key prosecution witnesses and citing Libby's faulty memory as the cause for any discrepancy in his statements, but the jury was not convinced.

Wilson's criticism of the administration's case for war against Iraq came to a head in July of 2003, when he wrote a blistering opinion piece in the New York Times.

In the article, Wilson stated bluntly, "Based on my experience with the administration in the months leading up to the war, I have little choice but to conclude that some of the intelligence related to Iraq's nuclear weapons program was twisted to exaggerate the Iraqi threat."

Libby and his legal team filed a notice to appeal his conviction in April.

There has been speculation that President George W. Bush could pardon the former aide to the Vice President, but a White House spokesperson has called talked of a pardon "wildly hypothetical."
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

cam wrote:Damien, as usual you have hit the nail on the head.

And, no, I can't stand Hillary Clinton, and there's no way I would ever vote for her.
Thanks Cam, but my post was just quoting Bill Maher -- nothing from me.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

Damien, as usual you have hit the nail on the head. These guys should be thrown out or impeached for being traitors to your country.
We are gleefully following Bush's demand for more money to fight the Iraq nonsense. I just ADORE Nancy Peolsi saying: "There is a new Congress in town."( reminds me of a Western)
If he vetoes, Congress will deny him money. Pity the Republican candidate, whomever he/(she? not likely!) who has to answer to the amazing 29% who think they are patriotic.( I was surprised the number was still so high!)
Didn't know you support Hillary--or is that Bill Maher speaking?
As you know, we travel South regularly. Notice fewer and fewer Bush/Cheney bumper stickers, and this is in solid GOP territory, Congress-wise.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

In New Rules this past week, Bill Maher nicely capsulized the insidiousness of Bush, Chenet, Rove and company on the outing of Valerie Plame:

What could be less patriotic than constantly screwing things up for America? You know, it’s literally hard to keep up with the sheer volume of scandals in the Bush administration. Which is why I like to download the latest scandals right onto my IPod. That way, I can catch up on this week’s giant fuck up on my drive into work.

In fact, Bush has so many scandals he could open a chain of “Bush Scandal and Fuck Up” theme restaurants. Hmmm, should I get the Harriet Miers Meatloaf, or the Katrina Crabcakes?

You know, not to generalize, but the 29 percent of people who still support President Bush are the ones who love to pronounce themselves more patriotic than the rest of us. But just saying you’re patriotic is like saying you have a big cock. If you have to say it, chances are it’s not true. And indeed, the Party that flatters itself that they protect America better is the Party that has exhausted the military, left the ports wide open, and purposefully outed a CIA agent, Valerie Plame. That’s not treason anymore, outing a spy? Did I mention it was one of our spies?

And how despicable that Bush’s lackeys attempted to diminish this crime by belittling her service, like she was just some chick who hung around the CIA. An intern really. Groupie if you want to be mean about it.

No. Big lie.

Valerie Plame was the CIA’s operational officer in charge of counter-proliferation. Which means she tracked loose nukes. So, when Bush said, as he once did, that his absolute, number one priority was preventing terrorists from getting loose nukes, okay, that’s what she worked on. That’s what she devoted her life to. Staying undercover for 20 years. Maintaining two identities every God-damned day. This is extraordinary service to your country. Valerie Plame was the kind of real life secret agent George Bush dreams of being when he’s not too busy pretending to be a cowboy or a fighter pilot.

CIA agents are troops. This was a military assassination of one of our own done through the press, ordered by Karl Rove. He said of Valerie Plame, quote, “She’s fair game,” and then Cheney shot her.

George Bush likes to claim that he doesn’t question his critics’ patriotism, just their judgment. Well, let me be the first of your critics, Mr. President, to question your judgment and your patriotism. Because let’s not forget why they did it to her. Because Valerie Plame was married to this guy Joe Wilson who the Bush people hated because he busted them on one of their bullshit reasons for invading Iraq. He was sent to the African country of Niger to see if Niger was selling nuclear fuel to Iraq. They weren’t. It was bullshit. And he said so. In fact, his report was called, “Niger, Please.”

Valerie Plame’s husband told the truth about their lies, so they were willing to jeopardize an entire network of spies to ruin her life. Wow. Even the mob doesn’t go after your family.

Mark Twain said, “Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” And I say Valerie Plame is a patriot because she spent her life serving her country. Scooter Libby is not because he spent his life serving Dick Cheney. Valerie Plame kept her secrets. The Bush administration leaked like the plumbing at Walter Reed.

In the year 2008, I really think that Hillary Clinton should run for president on a platform of restoring honor and integrity to the Oval Office.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Libby was accused of lying because he wasn't clear about the timeline of events. Fitzgerald even stated that the case had nothing to do with the actual leak and nothing to do with what some people were trying to make it out to be about: Iraq.

The jurors themselves were sympathetic towards Libby after the verdict was handed down. I have no doubt that Libby can be successful in an appeal. Not certain of the outcome, but that he CAN be successful on appeal. Of course, all of that can be averted if the President pardoned him first. Maybe they feel he can ward off the dogs himself. Remember, dogs aren't the smart ones.

So, this talk of "why lie if there's no coverup?" is astonishingly limited thinking for this group. Where is all the talk of "nuance" and such that always accompanies Democratic gaffes and scandals?
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

criddic3 wrote:Once again ignorance triumphs!
At least criddic is now more self aware.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Penelope wrote:And, um, er, why would somebody lie, perjure, cover up and obstruct an investigation unless there was an underlying crime in the first place?
Because everyone knows there was a blow job. Oh, wait, that was the other case, the one with crimes against the very foundations of our government and civilzation, the one where perjury was considered the most reprehensible offense imaginable.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Sonic Youth wrote:Of course, when people lie, perjure, cover up and obstruct an investigation, it kinda sorta makes it difficult to determine if there WAS an underlying crime in the first place.
And, um, er, why would somebody lie, perjure, cover up and obstruct an investigation unless there was an underlying crime in the first place?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

criddic3 wrote:Once again ignorance triumphs!

1. Libby was not indicted for leaking info. He was accused of obstructing the investigation. He may have lied to Fitzgerald but there was no underlying crime.

"Underlying crime."

Proof that Criddic has been cribbing his information from the right-wing talking points. That's the phrase all the pro-Libby pundits have been using. At least have the imagination to come up with a phrase on your own.

Of course, when people lie, perjure, cover up and obstruct an investigation, it kinda sorta makes it difficult to determine if there WAS an underlying crime in the first place.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Well, I won't respond directly, but I'll say to everyone else...when criddic posts a load of twisted malarkey like that, don't you feel like you're set up to play one of those "Find all the errors in the picture" game?
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Damien wrote:I hope no one even dignifies this with a response/
Oh Damien, he's just being nuanced, you see NUANCED

Return to “Current Events”