UAADB History - Irrelevant questions about ourselves...

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Reza wrote:I think I came on board as ''Faye''.
As in "Faye Dunaway"? Straight guys never cease to surprise me. :D
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I am trying hard to remember when I joined but my memory is like jello. I do recall a lot of the early stuff you guys talk about and remember, so I must have been around. I think I came on board as ''Faye''.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I joined the board towards the end of 1999.

My name is made up from two of may cats names Precious and Dolly, hence Precious Doll.

I named Precious after a minor character played by Mary Portser in Passion Fish and not Buffalo Bill's toy dog from Silence of the Lambs or 'the ring' from Lords of the Rings as people often assume. It's also a photo of Precious that I use for my avatar when he was around 4 months old.

Dolly was named after a notorious pedophile called Robert 'Dolly' Dunn who had been receiving lots of press around the time I adopted Dolly. I thought Dolly would make a good name for a cat, particularly a male one.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

It looks like I'm a newcomer, as I started posting in January 2002 - and since then, there have been a number of lengthy periods when I haven't even visited this board. But I always come back here sooner or later, and I haven't done that to any other message boards where I've been a member.

My board name is derived from a nickname I had at that time, "Heksa", which in turn is derived from my real name, which you couldn't pronounce correctly anyway. At that time, I used the name "Heksagon" or sometimes "Hexagon" at several places around the Internet. Maybe I should have chosen something more special - film-related - for this board, but I didn't guess I'd be staying here for a longer time, so I just took a neutral login name that I used regularly.
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

I started visiting the board at the beginning on 1999, so i do remember the Gwyneth/Cate/Fernanda fights. However i didn't use to post often, i mostly participated in polls and votings. My board name at the time (like my real name) was Manolis. So i guess my 'new' name Cinemanolis, has something to do with the cinematic addiction that this board, in part, caused me.

Edited By Cinemanolis on 1205484264
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:
Damien wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:But in real life he was a very respectable banker.

Wait . . . Magilla was a banker. And loves Bells of St. Mary's. Oh, no, don't tell me . . . :D

Don't you know bankers have a soft spot for nuns?

More in line with the kind depicted in The Devils!!!

Edited By Reza on 1205507851
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I'm another one who turned up in 1999 -- specifically, a few days after the Oscars for '98, from a link to Wes' Oscar predictions. Did, happily, miss the major award fights that season...though I think I can figure how they went.

I remember all those names people have listed. I don't know if it's more remarkable how many have faded away or that some of us have stayed so long.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Penelope wrote:
flipp525 wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:He was obsessed by nuns.

Oh, I remember Sister Luke and his nun fetish. Wasn't he always referencing A Nun's Story as well?

Isn't Sister Luke the name of Audrey Hepburn's character in The Nun's Story?
I don't know if was always referring to The Nun's Story, but he did take his board name from the real life Sister Luke played by Audrey Hepburn in the film.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

flipp525 wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:He was obsessed by nuns.

Oh, I remember Sister Luke and his nun fetish. Wasn't he always referencing A Nun's Story as well?
Isn't Sister Luke the name of Audrey Hepburn's character in The Nun's Story?

It's a shame he left before The Magdalene Sisters was released...woulda loved to see his reaction to that!
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Damien wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:But in real life he was a very respectable banker.

Wait . . . Magilla was a banker. And loves Bells of St. Mary's. Oh, no, don't tell me . . . :D
Don't you know bankers have a soft spot for nuns? Wasn't Mr. Bogardus (Henry Travers' character) in The Bells of St. Mary's a banker?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Xanadu's real name is Robert Lucuria. He's gone over to the dark side - acting as a moderator for Tom O'Neill. :cool:
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

rain Bard wrote: Next time I get a chance I'll see if he'd be interested in coming back into the UAADB fold...
And if he's not, still please say ciao from Marco to him.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Xanadu I know. He's a member of the OFTA. I think he changed his name, but I can't remember what to.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I joined the Board in January 1999 (a friend of mine who lurked but never joined told me about it). Prior to that -- although I was firdt on the Innternet in 1996 -- the only Discussion Board I had joined was the Ethan Hawke Appreciation Society.

I had printed out some posts from back then. Looking at them now, most of the names are familiar to me, either because they're people who are still posting today, or else because, even though they're gone, they made a strong impression (Leeder, Yamil. John Harkness, The Apostle, Max Wilder -- who returned briefly a couple months ago to wax rhapsodic about Amy Adams).

But there are many people who posted here about whom I have no recollection: The Dipper, Girafalles, Honoravel Kelvin, Macadingo, Xanadu, Kloppy.

Funniest/oddest old thread I came across -- somebody named Darth Maul posted in December 1999 that Bill Condon had been murdered in Egypt.

Edited By Damien on 1205361741
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

ITALIANO wrote:Why doesn't Rain Bard ask Hedgy to come back here? That guy is SO intelligent. He belongs here.
Funnily enough, I recently sent him an e-mail about the board, but I haven't heard back yet. Perhaps he's traveling right now? Next time I get a chance I'll see if he'd be interested in coming back into the UAADB fold...

I can date my arrival to this group to the Golden Globe awards, 1999, when I was looking for a place to vent about the Truman Show winning Best Original Score despite being laden with pre-existing themes. It doesn't seem like such a travesty in retrospect...

Return to “General Off-Topic”