The Closed Topic

Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Don't implicate Oscar Guy FilmFan. He did not choose to close it down and he was good enough to open this thread for us to do whatever. It was your buddy who closed it down.

And we should be careful Marco. The Board Godfather will probably shut this down too.

Edited By Akash on 1200441860
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

cam wrote:I know this is on *this*topic:
Italiano-- in just about every post you make derogatory comments about "Americans." or what you perceive are American traits.
Frankly, it is very tiresome. I am not an American but if I were, I would be offended. I am surprised that others ( Americans) have not said something to you. I don't see *any* of us slamming Italians, and I would be one of the first to mention it if it occurred.
Yes, sure... Same old story... Oh well. So pathetic.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I usually stay out of these things, they often do not need another voice chiming in. But I think the thing here that you are missing is that Big Magilla and OscarGuy did not close the thread as censorship or because of the off-topic remarks. They did it because they were getting complaints about the conversation, and as the proprietors of this board, they addressed the complaints they were receiving. I do not know who complained about the topic, or what the complaints were about specifically, but I don't see where you can blame someone for doing what their job is. We have Super Administrators, or whatever they are called now, to address just these issues.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

He won't tell you. But I'm sure we can guess a few of them.

Edited By Akash on 1200441576
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Akash wrote:These two are the Message Board Mafia.
Of course it's them.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Akash wrote:I know he's an easy scapegoat around here, but aside from his arguing with Damien in that thread -- and again there were at least three disagreements in that thread, and Marco/Damien was not the most contentious one -- he didn't "start" anything.
Thank you Aakash.

And by the way, since Big Magilla has mentioned name by name the "bad ones" (yet he strangely forgot SOME names who were very present in that same thread), I think I can humbly ask him the names of the "good ones" who contacted him threatening to leave the board if that for-once not hypocritical thread wasn't immediately closed.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

ITALIANO wrote:And please, don't be hypocrite... It was censored because Big Magilla and maybe you didn't like it, not because it was off-topic. Otherwise we can analyze the countless times when threads went off-topi and you and Big Magilla didn't do anything to block them.

Exactly. These two are the Message Board Mafia.

Edited By Akash on 1200441458
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

cam wrote:The HEADING signifies what the topic is about.

Yes, cam, thanks, I know that... And TO ME it wasn't off-topic, ok? Even just for the fact that it originated from THAT heading. Better now?

And please, don't be hypocrite... It was censored because Big Magilla and maybe you didn't like it, not because it was off-topic. Otherwise we can analyze the countless times when threads went off-topic and you and Big Magilla didn't do anything to block them.

Edited By ITALIANO on 1200441729
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

I'm with Marco -- this was indeed an act of censorship (one which I do NOT blame Oscar Guy for at all) and it makes absolutely no sense. The original complaints were about a group of us -- myself included -- derailing other threads with off topic remarks. Fine. So instead we kept all our disagreements to ONE thread. In it there were at least three "feuds" going on but it was not spilling over to other threads or forums, which to me, made it a healthier argument/s than some we've had in the past. And once again if you didn't want to read it YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO. This was not infecting any prediction thread or thread about the Oscars or films or anything of the sort. So anyone with such a weak constitution that they couldn't stand to read disagreements that had nothing to do with them (so much so that they threatened to leave the board) could simply NOT READ IT.

Magilla, you are right that this probably should have been moved to a Miscellaneous thread. Why was that not done or requested then? No, instead you chose to close the thread entirely, preventing anyone else from having a say and effectively yes, censoring us. You also moved it to a forum where it would eventually "vanish." If that's not censorship, I don't know what it. Let's face it, had we moved it to an off topic forum ourselves, you (and the rest of the easily offended group) would still argue that the thread had become "too contentious" which is a problematic criticism in itself (who gets to decide when something is "too contentious?")

What I'm saying is, I think we found a new goalkeeper.

Oscar Guy -- thank you for opening up this thread for the possibility of finishing that discussion (if anyone still wants to). The thread should have been moved to a Miscellaneous forum, it should not have been closed.

Sabin -- it's in the Youngest Movie Critic thread of the Pre-Delete forum. And it was apparently a very popular thread. Where WERE you?? LOL.

Oh and let's not blame Marco for starting this shall we? I know he's an easy scapegoat around here, but aside from his arguing with Damien in that thread -- and again there were at least three disagreements in that thread, and Marco/Damien was not the most contentious one -- he didn't "start" anything. He didn't post the link to the old board, he didn't egg anyone on in that argument and actually he was pretty civil and kum ba ya about the whole thing, asking us to remember that this happened a long time ago and that a lot of people in that old thread had "grown up" since then. So it's really unfair to attack for this.

Oh and Penelope -- word.

Edited By Akash on 1200440956
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

The HEADING signifies what the topic is about.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

cam wrote:WITHIN the context of the topic.
But... I'm speechless. Who decides the "context" of the topic? Any subject is fluid, and can be seen and interpreted by each person in a different way - that's what makes a discussion free and, I must add, lively. Is Big Magilla's perspective on topics the only one which is allowed? Well, sorry, but I don't agree.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

I know this is on *this*topic:
Italiano-- in just about every post you make derogatory comments about "Americans." or what you perceive are American traits.
Frankly, it is very tiresome. I am not an American but if I were, I would be offended. I am surprised that others ( Americans) have not said something to you. I don't see *any* of us slamming Italians, and I would be one of the first to mention it if it occurred.

Edited By cam on 1200440519
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Penelope wrote:But it's precisely the free-wheeling aspect of our discussions that I cherish about this board, as well as the lack of serious censorship. There are soap opera boards that are moderated by fascists; that we can discuss anything under the sun, and within the context of whatever topic at hand, is something we should embrace not prevent.
Very well put, Penelope. I wholeheartedly concur.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Penelope wrote:But it's precisely the free-wheeling aspect of our discussions that I cherish about this board, as well as the lack of serious censorship. There are soap opera boards that are moderated by fascists; that we can discuss anything under the sun, and within the context of whatever topic at hand, is something we should embrace not prevent.

That was my point: WITHIN the context of the topic.

Edited By cam on 1200439942
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Hustler wrote:your words are expressing feelings, they´re not a war declaration.
But exactly - nobody here wants to declare a war. But censorship - in any culture, including I hope the American one - is always an act of violence, often of cowardice, and sometimes of stupidity, too.

Return to “General Off-Topic”