The Show - What can we expect

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Don't you love when they fail their history checks...Luise Rainer and Kate aren't the only two who have won back-to-back Oscars...maybe in the Lead Actress category, but I think both Tom Hanks and Jason Robards would take exception to that.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I have to admit, this policy of secrecy has been the best idea in years. Despite my lack of intense love for any of the nominated films, I'm more excited to see the show than I have been in a long time.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

One who won't be there is Luise Rainer, frail but still sharp in her 100th year.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en....50.html
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

tee hee

Jackman Jokes About Oscar Night

20 February 2009 8:10 AM, PST

Australian actor Hugh Jackman has cheekily suggested he will be hosting the upcoming Oscars ceremony completely naked - following a string of rumours about his role in the show.

Jackman has been at the centre of wide speculation about his role as MC at the Academy Awards on Sunday night ever since he was unveiled as the event's host last year.

Recent internet reports have suggested he will open the glitzy ceremony by performing a song-and-dance routine with Oscar nominee Anne Hathaway.

And Jackman has now taken the opportunity to make fun of the endless gossip surrounding the event - by jokingly declaring he will take to the stage completely naked and sing all his links.

He says, "I haven't told anyone this, but we are going to do most of it naked and we're going to sing through the whole show.

"In fact, all the acceptance speeches are going to be sung. There will be some interpretive dance behind them, and I really think it will be beautiful and touching.

"There will be a strategic leaf placed here or there. We don't want to be distasteful or anything. This is a raw night. This is the Oscars. Raw emotion, that's the quality we're going for."
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Thankfully Gil Cates isn't producing...or that's exactly what would happen.
Wesley Lovell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Greg wrote:One thing that would be very interesting to see would be the introduction of the Best Picture clip for Slumdog Millionaire coming via remote from an orphanage in Mumbai.

There's exploitation for you.

"Like the movie itself." There! I've saved the self-appointed protectors of the underclass a post.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1235150487
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Today, I´ve read in a local newspaper of my country that Jennifer Aniston will be one of the announcers.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

One thing that would be very interesting to see would be the introduction of the Best Picture clip for Slumdog Millionaire coming via remote from an orphanage in Mumbai.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Protests over Jerry Lewis' Oscar are brewing...

http://thetroublewithjerry.net/
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Sonic Youth wrote: Even the most cynical and jaded of us wouldn't pass up a chance to see the Oscars live, if given the opportunity. I'd bet the show is much less boring in person than it is on television.
Can't disagree with you *there*
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I'm sure Italiano will be very gracious and happy for Damien.

Further, I'm sure he'd enjoy going. Even the most cynical and jaded of us wouldn't pass up a chance to see the Oscars live, if given the opportunity. I'd bet the show is much less boring in person than it is on television.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1235080993
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

cam wrote:Interestingly, not one word from Italiano. But we weren't expecting him to say anything...
Haha! Wait for him! He will soon appear.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

In the meantime, Father Bona, could you please tell us if some of our prayers had been heard?
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Interestingly, not one word from Italiano. But we weren't expecting him to say anything...
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Damien wrote:
Hustler wrote:
Damien wrote:I was hired to be the show's Research Consultant. And for the last 6 weeks have been doing work, such as advising on montages, speeches and the script.

I'm flying out to LA on Friday morning for last minute advice, and will be attending the Oscars on Sunday.

I'll give lots of details on what I see and experience.

Congratulations! Could you please let us know any of the announcers?

My lips are sealed.

But this should let you know that if anyone has any deep dark things they may wish to get off their chests and confess, your secrets will always be safe with mme. :D
Ok, I accept your answer. Sorry for bothering you. Take it as an impulse of a very excited Oscar watcher. I´m running to the church!

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”