81st Annual Academy Awards Nominations

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Matthew, it IS possible to criticize America, the American culture and the American way of thinking - strange as it may seem to you. And it has nothing to do with racism, believe me. Actually I think that it's not only possible - it SHOULD be done. By the American themselves.

But anyway, saying that the way a group of people think - be it a nation, or an award-giving group, or a political party - is easy to understand or predict isn't necessarily offensive. At least I can do it often, and I've shown it here.

Biut most importantly, the idea that Americans are a "race" - and a persecuted one! - is so ridiculous that really, doesnt need to be commented, we all know that. (Matthew's truly racist, and cliched, idea that Jews are a race SHOULD be commented, though, and it's of course very dangerous).

There are some really intelligent people on this board - the majority. I will always accept criticism from them. And then of course we have the Takis, the Zahveeds, the Matthews... I promise that I will try to be tolerant with them too.

(Oscar Guy: if you read carefully, it was Matthew this time. Just to prevent you:)
matthew
Graduate

Post by matthew »

Perhaps racist is the wrong word. How about painting everyone with the same brush because they happen to be associated with [insert cultural/social construct here]

I'm just curious. Because Italiano's comments look to me like a quaint throw-back to some 1890's anthropological text book (minus the research and/or references...)
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Well, a century ago, the term "race" was applied to nationalities: the English "race," the French "race," the German "race," etc. It *may* have been applied to Americans, but only within the construct of the white, Protestant population.

Today, of course, we recognize that these terms are totally erroneous. At least, here in America; I don't know if the English, the French, the Germans, etc., still think of themselves as a "race," especially considering that they are becoming as multi-cultural as the U.S. is.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

That creates another topic altogether: Is it racist to assume American is a race?
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

matthew wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:I'm glad it was The Reader, which is my choice of the year's fourth best film behind Button, Slumdog and Milk with Frost/Nixon narrowly besting Doubt.

...What's always surprising to me is how Americans seem not to understand the way American minds work - and the Academy is a VERY American institution, in many ways very easy to "guess". At least those on this board should have known better, honestly...

Ok, so how about this comment? Do you think it is a tad racist?
you mean...against the american race? ???

since when did we become a race?
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

This is when I repeat my prior comment.
matthew
Graduate

Post by matthew »

ITALIANO wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:I'm glad it was The Reader, which is my choice of the year's fourth best film behind Button, Slumdog and Milk with Frost/Nixon narrowly besting Doubt.

...What's always surprising to me is how Americans seem not to understand the way American minds work - and the Academy is a VERY American institution, in many ways very easy to "guess". At least those on this board should have known better, honestly...

Ok, so how about this comment? Do you think it is a tad racist?
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Just a tad. At least those on the board know better...
matthew
Graduate

Post by matthew »

Just curious...who thinks this is quote is a tad racist?

"...What's always surprising to me is how Jews seem not to understand the way Jewish minds work - and the Academy is a VERY Jewish institution, in many ways very easy to "guess". At least those on this board should have known better, honestly..."
matthew
Graduate

Post by matthew »

Zahveed wrote:I think I remember my little brother getting into this same argument. He's growing up at least...

He turned nine a few days ago.
lol
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

As I've said to you before, we all misread posts from time to time. It's important to clarify meaning if someone gets it wrong. If you didn't mean what the other person inferred, point it out. But don't be mean or nasty about it. Just say "hey, I think you misunderstood my post."

Edited By OscarGuy on 1232930275
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I think I remember my little brother getting into this same argument. He's growing up at least...

He turned nine a few days ago.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

OscarGuy wrote:I'm done, Italiano. Completely done. You don't read what I say. You infer things that aren't there. There's just no point. Re-read MY post. If you don't see anything different about it after reading it a second time in reference to your response "please tell me now where you think that this Taki person was right", then we're done with this conversation.
I won't do it of course, even because he's a minor, but if I were on his level I could even sue this Taki person. I repeat: I won't. But please tell him to read carefully my posts before he even tries to comment on them next time. Just this.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm done, Italiano. Completely done. You don't read what I say. You infer things that aren't there. There's just no point. Re-read MY post. If you don't see anything different about it after reading it a second time in reference to your response "please tell me now where you think that this Taki person was right", then we're done with this conversation.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

OscarGuy wrote:To carry the conversation from the other thread back to here, I don't care who misread whose post in this matter. In everything I've read, it's been you, Italiano, not Taki, that has been behaving immaturely and like a child.
Oscar Guy, I personally think that you are the last person who can accuse anyone else of being "immature and childish". Your defence of this Taki person - and only because I "dared" to criticize the results of your awards - is a further proof of my point.

Anyway, please tell me now where you think that this Taki person was right, and when. I want the point, the line, everything. I'm tired now.

I repeat: I want the quotes, everything. And I want it NOW.

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”