Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

The Invention of Lying (2009) Ricky Gervais & Matthew Robinson 4/10

The Brothers Bloom (2009) Rian Johnson 1/10

Cold Souls (2009) Sophie Barthers 6/10

Shockproof (1949) Douglas Sirk 5/10
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Chaotic Ana (2007) Julio Medem 4/10

Visually splendid but with a story that relies on a whole lot of mumbo jumbo this a very disappointing film from one of Spain's best filmmakers.

Over the last few days I have watched, though endured would be a more appropriate term, three Jean-Paul Belmondo thrillers from the 1970's. Belmondo's star presence is the only thing of note in any of them.

The Inheritor (1972) Philippe Labro 2/10
La Scoumoune (1972) Jose Giovanni 1/10
The Body of My Enemy (1976) Henry Vemeuil 2/10
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Defector (1966) Raoul Levy 6/10

This is a film I was pleasantly surprised by, having avoided it for over forty years.

Montgomery Clift's posthumously released last film opened in New York while I was overseas, stationed in Germany and by the time it made its way to my local Army theatre late in 1967 I was already home. When it was eventually shown on TV, I had no desire in seeing it.

As spy yarns go, it isn't half bad. Clift and Hardy Kruger play pretty much the same characters Richard Burton and Oskar Werner played in The Spy Who Came in From the Cold, which is amusing considering that Burton and Clift hated each other. Clift once famously said "Richard Burton doesn't act, he recites."

It's difficult to tell how much acting Clift does here as his face seems frozen. He was only 45, but he looked at least ten years older. His face had become so gaunt, his eyes looked like they would pop out at any minute. He is absurdly thrown into a hasty romance with a bosomy young German girl that makes no sense. Neither, for that matter, does his fast friendship with his interrogator, Kruger, but the plot twists and exciting climax at least keep you interested in the story.

Kruger, by the way, is excellent.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Food Inc. (2009) Robert Kenner 7/10

La Belle Captive (1983) Alain Robbe-Grillet 6/10

Sister Smile (2009) Stijn Coninx 4/10

Zotz (1962) William Castle 5/10

A Serious Man (2009) The Coen Brothers 7/10

I'm Gonna Explode (2008) Geardo Naranjo 4/10
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Inglourious Basterds (Quentin Tarantino, 2009) 6/10

I don't know why but I kept thinking of Sergio Leone and Ennio Morricone while watching this film. Also coming to mind was Lee Marvin and the bunch in The Dirty Dozen.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

A Serious Man (2009) Coens- 7/10

Coens just doing what they love to do...close to top notch

Precious: Yada Yada (2009) Lee Daniels- 4/10

borders on terrible at times...closer to the Flipp valiant failure camp

An Education (2009) Lone Scherfig- 8/10

Joyous...Mulligan is a marvel...Sarsgaard great per usual
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Hi Guys,
I want to share with you some good material which I´ve seen in Mar del Plata film festival

1. Yuki and Nina (Nobuhiro Suwa & Hyppolite Girardot) 8/10

2. The Time That Remains (Elia Suleiman) 8/10

3. A Man who Ate his Cherries (Payman Haghani) 7/10

4. Nora´s Will (Mariana Chenillo) 7/10

5. Bad Day to Go Fishing (Alvaro Brechner) 7/10

6. The Wind Journeys (Ciro Guerra) 8/10

7. The Invention of Flesh (Santiago Loza) 6/10

8. Chapadmalal (Alejandro Montiel) 7/10

9. The Man Next Door (Gastón Duprat & Mariano Cohn) 8/10
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Revanche (Gotz Spielmann) - 8.5/10

Major, major talent here.
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Contempt (Jean-Luc Godard) - 9.5/10
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

dws1982 wrote:Damien's lesser known book, Starring John Wayne as Genghis Khan: Hollywood's All-Time Worst Casting Blunders

Thank you for mentioning this book. I had no idea Damien had written other books. Upon checking on Amazon I also came up with a third book by him called Opening Shots.

Shall be picking up both off Amazon.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

The Killing (Stanley Kubrick) - 8.5/10
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Damien wrote:
dws1982 wrote:I don't have it in the room to verify, but I believe Damien's lesser known book, Starring John Wayne as Genghis Khan: Hollywood's All-Time Worst Casting Blunders, includes a chapter on Edward G. Robinson in Our Vines Have Tender Grapes.
We have a winner!

Excellent memory, Daniel.

Robinson was a great actor, but Scandanavian he could not pull off.
I have to disagree. He may not look Scandanavian, but he is playing a second or third generation American without an accent so it really doesn't matter. His acting here is more relaxed and natural than in any of his gangster films. He and Agnes Moorehead make a great couple. It's a pity they never made another film together.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Yesterday afternoon, I had on/half-watched The Falcon in Hollywood, which is of course of no real interest...

...except for this: the killer turned out to be a movie producer, who shot his leading man because he couldn't let his film to be finished. He couldn't let it be finished because, despite the fact that he'd cast second-rate actors and hired an untalented director, it was turning out well...and he'd fraudulently earmarked over 200% of the profits to various investors.

Have we been overestimating all these years the originality of Mel Brooks' idea?
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

dws1982 wrote:I don't have it in the room to verify, but I believe Damien's lesser known book, Starring John Wayne as Genghis Khan: Hollywood's All-Time Worst Casting Blunders, includes a chapter on Edward G. Robinson in Our Vines Have Tender Grapes.
We have a winner!

Excellent memory, Daniel.

Robinson was a great actor, but Scandanavian he could not pull off.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I don't have it in the room to verify, but I believe Damien's lesser known book, Starring John Wayne as Genghis Khan: Hollywood's All-Time Worst Casting Blunders, includes a chapter on Edward G. Robinson in Our Vines Have Tender Grapes.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”