The Show - What can we expect

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

My dream presenters in the top six categories:

Best Director - Roman Polanski reading names by satellite, envelope then opened by soon to be 13 year old Abigail Breslin.

Best Supporting Actor - Joanne Woodward presenting to Michelle Williams on behalf of Matlila.

Best Supporting Actress - Peter O'Toole.

Best Actor - Joan Fontaine and Olivia de Havilland.

Best Actress - Albert Finney.

Best Picture - Maureen O'Hara, longest living star of a best picture winner next to Luise Rainer who won't attend and Olivia de Havilland who will have already appeared.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:"However, even if Bardem was there on Sunday, I'm told there wouldn't be a chance of him handing the Oscar to Cruz because first-time producers Laurence Mark and Bill Condon are said to have changed the long-running tradition"

Don't know if I like that change...
Mmm. A lot of suppositions but any clue. Please, Mr. sealed lips. Help us!
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Marion Cotillard is filming Nine in Rome with Daniel Day-Lewis. Maybe the reason for the change is that most or none of last year's winners could make it this year.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Maybe by shake it up they mean last year's actors will present to this year's actors and last year's actresses to this year's actresses as has been the case from time to time.

Bardem, Daniel Day-Lewis and Tilda Swinton were all missing from this year's BAFTA presentations. They could all conceivably miss the Oscars as well.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

That's one change I would despise. There are some traditions you just don't mess with.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

"However, even if Bardem was there on Sunday, I'm told there wouldn't be a chance of him handing the Oscar to Cruz because first-time producers Laurence Mark and Bill Condon are said to have changed the long-running tradition"

Don't know if I like that change...
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

Javier isn't presenting. Bummer.
As I was leaving a restaurant after having dinner, Paul Haggis was walking in.

Did you lose your dinner?
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

No he just walked on by.

As I was leaving a restaurant after having dinner, Paul Haggis was walking in.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Well Bob is the official greeter, did he greet you?
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Greetings from Hollywood. I picked up my credentials which give me access to the Kodak theatre and its environs.

The bleachers are being assembled and the scene is very frenetic with tourists swarming about the Kodak.

The first person I saw when I left my hotel was Robert Osborne, lol.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Big Magilla wrote:One who won't be there is Luise Rainer, frail but still sharp in her 100th year.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en....50.html
I still have fresh in my mind the moment in which she presented the Oscar to Foreign Language Film "Volver a Empezar" I think it was the 55th annual academy Awards to the 1982 production.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

What do people think the odds are that someone will draw a parallel between Slumdog Millioniare and the current economic crisis?
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Just saw the news Damien...best news I have had all day.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

My take on the comment "Katharine Hepburn is the only other actor to have won back-to-back Oscars" in the Luise Rainer article is that some overzealous p.c. feminist proof-reader felt obliged to change the word "actress", which would have been accurate, to "actor".
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

And Spencer Tracy.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”