UAADB History - Irrelevant questions about ourselves...

Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Great. Now you're talking. Where were you a decade ago, when I was crucified here for not admiring TTRL (a noble, naïve failure, but I wouldn't call it boring, though). I saw it twice, and strangely, the first time it made more sense to me than the second time. (And I saw it again only because it was shown at the Jerusalem film festival in '99 with Malik attending the screening. He was gracious but didn't say anything other than thanking the crowd for coming).

Edited By Uri on 1206031996
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Penelope wrote:I walked out of The Thin Red Line--I was bored. Out. Of. My. Mind.

I tried watching it again when it came out on DVD. Even sitting at home, I couldn't finish watching it. Bored. Out. Of. My. Mind.

I didn't even have to walk....just switched off the vcr. Malick is such an overrated bore!

Edited By Reza on 1206032085
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Oh, fuck you all. I appreciate nuance and subtlety as much as the next guy. I just didn't go all orgasmic over this particular film. And, btw, not liking The Thin Red Line doesn't automatically make you some sort of gauche philistine.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Johnny Guitar wrote:Not gripping and profound like those soap operas, I guess? :D
Yes, I was also going to say that... As if "boring" were an acceptable critical judgement.
Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

Not gripping and profound like those soap operas, I guess? :D
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Penelope wrote:I walked out of The Thin Red Line--I was bored. Out. Of. My. Mind.

I tried watching it again when it came out on DVD. Even sitting at home, I couldn't finish watching it. Bored. Out. Of. My. Mind.

Thank God! Okay, me too. I find the movie boring beyond words. Don't get. Don't want to get it. Don't care. Am I disowned?

I'd rather pop in The Last House on the Left than watch that thing again.

Edited By flipp525 on 1206019362
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

It is, quite simply, one of the few true works of art American cinema has given us in the last ten years. It's a film all Americans should be proud of.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I've seen it three times and I don't get what I'm supposed to get. Like you, I find it boring. I assumed the fault is entirely mine and give up. It has a beautiful score, though.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I walked out of The Thin Red Line--I was bored. Out. Of. My. Mind.

"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I've been posting here since the Fall of 1998. My first Oscars as a poster here was the Shakespeare in Love/Saving Private Ryan race.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

I'd love to see that too, but knowledge of its potential existence doesn't in any way diminish the film for me. I loved it when I first saw it before I joined the board, and on each viewing ever since. I think I even like the enigmatic way in which the Brody character is treated in the film as it stands.

Oh, I realized I forgot to mention how my pseud was picked: I first posted as "Brian" but when some other Brian started posting, I came up with this near-anagram for my full name to cut down on confusion. He only lasted a few months as I recall, though.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Why would Malick cut the metaphors of the film, the comparative of man and nature, man and beast?

Telling me Brody was almost entirely cut out only makes me love the film more.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I have no idea what happened to Alex Fung. I as under the impression he was burnt out and taking some time off, but that was five years ago.

The Thin Red Line - never have I have been so disappointed in a film. After years of waiting for Terrence Malick to direct another movie, he comes up a screen version of one of my favorite novels with future Oscar winner Adrien Brody in the leading role. The film comes in at something like six hours and has to be cut, so what does he cut, all the superfluous nature shots? No, he alsmost completely cuts out Brody, leaving a confused mess behind.

I'm still waiting for the six hour director's cut to come out on DVD.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1206026391
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I saw The Thin Red Line and immediately thought it a masterpiece. Sadly, I saw it with someone who absolutely hated it, so I had to contend with that. It still creeps into conversations periodically.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

matthew wrote:I've posted occasionally on and off since 97. Do you guys remember Alex Fung? I wonder what happened to him?
Great Site!. Maybe, Magilla knows what happened to him.

Return to “General Off-Topic”