No votes
1/2 *
5%
No votes

Total votes: 20

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Am I the only one who liked the trailer?

I thought Johnny Depp's voice was fine. It's certainly wasn't as bad as I was expecting. It was a different, toned down version of that song.

I've expected it to be different from the stage version since this is, after all, a Tim Burton movie. I happen to like Tim Burton. I like what he has done so far.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I would've liked to have seen what someone like Rob Marshall or Fernando Meirelles might've done with this project. I'm kind of over Burton's whole "vision". It's like he's done nothing else for the past fifteen years. This is not looking any different.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Looks like typical Tim Burton -- plenty of art direction and a whole lot of wretched excess.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

jesus fucking christ that was a bad trailer.

well, i do not know the show very well, but judging it as a movie, i would it does not look very good. i love tim burton, but this looks awful, and i could not take a single second of depp's singing.

right now, the only nominations i can imagine are:
set
costume
cinematography
make-up
sound

no acting nominations, not even for rickman, since burton seemed to go for over the top performances. what a waste of money and talent. :(
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Now that I've seen the trailer, I'm certain this will be nowhere near the Best Picture finals and I'm doubtful Depp can get nominated now...

Quite frankly, I found the trailer atrocious. The girl they got to play Joanna is terrible (Burton hasn't been very good at directing actors, I'm afraid). Depp's singing voice is outrageously bad. This whole thing smells...and we should get the idea that this is only a slight adaptation because a good portion of the sung dialogue in the musical is spoken in the trailer, mostly the parts around "A Little Priest". That we've already heard so many songs have been excised, I wouldn't be surprised if everything many of us enjoyed about the stage version will be radically altered. I think Helena Bonham Carter's too young for the role (she just doesn't seem old enough, nor does Depp for that matter). Rickman does at least look good in the role, but I can't help but say this points to everything I feared when I first heard Burton was doing this...it's too much Burton style and too little Broadway style.

I can't wait for cam to weigh in. He'll probably agree with most of us already that Depp is atrocious and way out of his depth here. Sondheim's music has always been difficult vocally and Depp makes that distinction horribly apparent.

I'm sure it will be a box office success, though...critically, I can't see the NY critics supporting it (matter of fact, I'll bet that the disconnect in critics, if there is one, will be between NY and LA critics, LA hailing its off-beat quality and NY decrying its stark departure from the stage).

If there's horror about this production, it certainly isn't the plot...

Edited By OscarGuy on 1191540819
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Yeah, I had the same reaction as noted in the October predictions update.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

The trailer is up on Yahoo movies (Playbill.com has a link to it). I will say that my thoughts seem to stand up the film. They do a wonderful job of showing maybe 15 seconds of singing among the 2 1/2 minutes of the trailer, leading most to not even realize it is a musical. The snippets of Depp singing the soliloquy is disheartening. He does not have the vocal chops to carry it at all.

I will say it again, if this was an adaptation of Bond's play, it would be one of my most anticipated films of the season. It is a perfect cast. They just don't seem to be up to the challenge vocally (and the fact that they don't play much singing in this trailer makes one imagine that maybe they are trying to cover up that part of the film?). This is opera people!!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

FilmFan720 wrote:
anonymous wrote:The following songs were cut:

"Ah Miss"
"Kiss Me"
"Johanna (The Judge)"
"Ladies and Their Sensitivities"
"Parlor Songs"
"City on Fire"

So in other words he cut the, what do you call it? Ah, yes, character development. Good, I thought maybe he cut something important.
God, you guys are so viciously pessimistic, I think the only reason for you to see it is to find things you hate about it.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

And Ladies and Their Sensitivities is one of my favorite songs from the show...but still, at 1h 45m, I'm not still not optimistic.

And Burtonesque is not a good thing, IMO, for this production.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1191383764
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

anonymous wrote:The following songs were cut:

"Ah Miss"
"Kiss Me"
"Johanna (The Judge)"
"Parlor Songs"
"City on Fire"
So in other words he cut the, what do you call it? Ah, yes, character development. Good, I thought maybe he cut something important.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

A couple of Sweeney Todd related news:

01. The trailer will be reportedly attached to The Heartbreak Kid opening this Friday.

02. I know someone who obtained a copy of the shooting script. He is a Sweeney Todd/Sondheim fan, as well as a movie fan. He says it is excellent.

The following songs were cut:

"Ah Miss"
"Kiss Me"
"Johanna (The Judge)"
"Parlor Songs"
"City on Fire"

Everything else is there. Although some verses from within the songs were cut for length.

The script overall, is excellent, according to him. It's very Burtonesque while retaining what made the show so great in the first place.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

One particular quote in here scares the living hell out of me...But maybe we'll get to see this 8-minute sneak some day soon so maybe we'll know for ourselves whether Depp and Bonham Carter are worth anything vocally.

Tim Burton basks in Venice glow
Honored with lifetime achievement prize
By NICK VIVARELLI
Posted: Wed., Sep. 5, 2007, 12:12pm PT
Tim Burton wins a Golden Life for lifetime achievement in film.

Tim Burton held court Thursday at the Venice Film Festival, where he got a Golden Lion for lifetime achievement and unspooled an eight-minute sneak peek of his "Sweeney Todd" adaptation.
The clips, in sharp desaturated color, consisted largely of a key scene in the Stephen Sondheim musical in which Todd, played by Johnny Depp, is handed a razor case by Mrs. Lovett, played by Helena Bonham Carter.

Singing "My Friends" Depp proved he can carry a tune, dueting delightfully with Bonham Carter, herself debuting as a chantoosie.

A white streak in his hair, a mad twinkle in his eye, Depp -- in his sixth Burton pic -- seemed in fine form in the quick sneak, which, while entertainingly eerie, displayed no violence. Pic is reportedly headed for an "R" rating.

"I am just trying to make an old-fashioned horror movie with music in it," Burton said at the presser.

He added that pics with "people like Boris Karloff and Peter Lorre" are among vintage scary works he drew on for inspiration.

"It's quite uncharted territory. I don't think there are that many horror movie musicals out there these days," Burton noted. "It will be interesting to see what happens with it."

Paramount and DreamWorks have a lot riding on "Todd," which they will rollout Stateside in December, just as Warner Bros. will be outing the pic worldwide.

As for his Lido prize -- handed to him by Depp -- Burton said it was "the best honor I've ever received."

Asked about how the Venice Golden Lion compares to an Oscar -- a nod that has eluded Burton so far -- he joked: "It's actually a lot better-looking than a bald naked man. It's very special to me."

Said Depp as he handed Burton the Lion: "Tim is a rare breed in today's cinema: he is a true original, a true artist, a true auteur. He's my favorite director and friend. So ... let's give him the thing, man."

Concluding the gala evening was Disney's 3-D version of "The Night Before Christmas," which the studio is planning to re-release Stateside in October.
Wesley Lovell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Looks like Edward Scissorhands took a wrong turn and ended up on the set of Oliver!.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

First still from the film. Looks good, IMO.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Stephen Sondheim was on Australian TV recently and he says he has seen the film and says it's great.

Return to “2000 - 2007”