2009 American Idol Thread

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

I kind of like that the producers are giving all 36 of them a chance to make the top 12. We liked Kris Allen very much, and were kind of dissapointed when the odd man Nick was eliminated. Last night's girl winner is very young, and she should do something with her hair, but she sounds great.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

This year, the show is really in the crapper. Those were eleven of the twelve worst singers I have ever heard in my life. In fact, after the first eleven I almost shut off the TV and gave the rest of the season a pass until that final performer gave a really interesting, glam, multi-octave rendition of "Satisfaction". Very Tim Buckley-ish. The girl who sang the Heart song was okay. The rest suck.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Ricky Braddey was the best by a long s hot I thought, but I doubt he makes it through since his personality was quiet and unassuming (which Simon always equates to a lack of charisma) and he doesn't have a sob story that he's flogging like a dead horse.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think they use that as an excuse. Both Whitney and Mariah songs have, in the past, earned the same statement by the judges. You just can't do Mariah or Whitney...yet neither of the two performers who sang Mariah or Whitney last night got such a statement.

I think it's their way of saying "we didn't like it at all, but we're giving you a pass b/c you made a poor song choice."
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I only watched the second half last night. I despise the song "Hero" so I used that as a pretext to go to the bathroom during Danny's performance, so I can't judge his singing; but, yeah, the constant references to his dead wife and the church choir had me rolling my eyes.

And what's with this attitude that "you simply can't do a song by Artist X" (in this case, Sting, Aretha or Michael Jackson); while none of these performances were very impressive, I don't agree that every song is sacred to any particular artist.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

That's one of the reasons I think they've already crowned him winner of Season 8. The constant "emotional" reference to his dead wife. The fact that he's being mentioned as a "leader of a church choir". I mean they are pulling all the granny stops out on that.

And I agree. Ricky Braddy was amazing vocally. I think he gave more oomph to his song than Danny, but Danny does have a teensy bit more charm. However, I'm sure Ricky won't make it through. Simon did his best to seed doubt in voters' minds...I mean they even gave the oil-rig worker more credit to say "he was only bad here, but wasn't before". Paula was the only one who really gave Ricky any kind of push by saying "it's too bad you didn't get featured in the warm up and hopefully now you will"...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Did you see how disappointed the judges were that Tatiana wasn't serving up her usual big dish of crazy last night? They were practically begging her to start it up again.

I thought Ricky Braddy's performance was beautiful. It was easily my favorite of the night. I'd love to see him advance.

Am I the only one turned off by the constant references to Danny's dead wife? It seems like even he's pimping it out now.

Edited By flipp525 on 1234979700
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

VFTW is definitely pushing for Tatiana.

Based on the group, I think only Danny is guaranteed to get into the Top 12.

Edited By anonymous on 1234976568
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm a little surprised no one has started this article yet, but here goes.

I think Danny has been crowned as this year's champion...at least by the judges.

of the guys, the only three from last night I'd like to see go through are Danny, Anoop and Ricky.

Of the girls, none of them really deserve to go on, but Alexis seems like the best bet to do so...and Tatjana may end up moving through anyway (need to check Vote for the Worst and see if they're pushing anyone yet)
Wesley Lovell

Return to “Broadcast Media”