UAADB 100 Greatest Films of All Timefound

rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

OscarGuy wrote:Feature-length only. Film lengths vary based on the period, but if it's obviously a short film, don't list it.

Direct-to-Screen films only, not teleplays, movies made for television or miniseries.

I don't think Documentaries should be included, but that's a personal opinion.

by PM or Email is fine for me.
Very sensible idea for the shorts v. features issue! One I never would have thought of. But now that you mention it, it's clear that, say, SHERLOCK JR. is really a shorter-than-usual feature, not a short, even if the imdb clocks it as a minute shorter than, say, THE GREAT ECSTASY OF WOODCARVER STEINER, which is by no means a feature film.

On the movies made for television front, I presume the ruling won't apply to films by the likes of Bergman, Fassbinder, Von Trier etc. which though they may have been funded and/or premiered on television, also had substantial life as theatrical films, if perhaps in edited versions?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Feature-length only. Film lengths vary based on the period, but if it's obviously a short film, don't list it.

Direct-to-Screen films only, not teleplays, movies made for television or miniseries.

I don't think Documentaries should be included, but that's a personal opinion.

by PM or Email is fine for me.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1195243748
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Johnny Guitar wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:my personal number 1, Sergio Bergonzelli's Nelle Pieghe della Carne

Wait, what?
Hehe... Ok, I was joking. But that movie - which has been rediscovered a few years ago by La Cinematheque Francais (I know, nowadays this doesn't mean much) and which I saw in Nice - truly is an unintentional masterpiece of surrealist art. You should try to see it - one laugh a minute, guaranteed. Almodovar must have been inspired by it for some of his early films.

Oh, and Eleonora Rossi Drago is in it (though understandably she retired right after making it).
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Questions of eligibility:

Feature films only, or are shorts eligible, too? If not, what's to be our official cut-off point between features and short films?

Documentaries: are they eligible as well? (I vote yes)

How about made-for-tv works?
Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

ITALIANO wrote:my personal number 1, Sergio Bergonzelli's Nelle Pieghe della Carne

Wait, what?
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Did you want that PM'd or E-mailed? Or does it not matter?
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Let's do it this way. I'll run it like other lists I've compiled.

Send me an unranked list of 50 films.

Once I receive the lists, I'll put together an AFI-style Top 400 (if I even have that many). Then, you can rank 50 and we'll see how it goes?

Any other suggestions on methodology?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I say we get down to the bottom of this and make a new list from scratch - like delicious buttermilk biscuits.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Sonic Youth wrote:Why wouldn't I?

I'd be proud to have it on the top of my list. At the very least, it's one of the three greatest films ever.

Sonic the conformist wasn't the appellation I would have predicted for you :p

Of course it's one of the greatest films. I just thought it was a bit obvious for this board.

Edited By Akash on 1195234003
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

MovieWes wrote:Anyone want to take part in another UAADB top 100 list? I'll even tally the results if no one else wants to.
I'm game for that.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I'm pretty sure I didn't submit a ballot in the UAADB top 100, though I did in the Zach board one.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Akash wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:1. Citizen Kane 1941 Orson Welles

I'm slightly disappointed that this board couldn't come up with something more original/worthy for its number one film.

I'm not sure who was on the board at the time this list was made (how old are you guys?) but I can't imagine Damien, Italiano, Sabin, Sonic, Eric among others, listing Citizen fucking Cane as the best film.

Why wouldn't I?

I didn't submit a list last time, and I don't expect to submit one now. The idea of compiling such a list is too daunting for me.

But were I to make one, I'd be proud to have it on the top of my list. At the very least, it's one of the three greatest films ever.

Ain't nothing wrong with having something in common with Sight & Sound.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1195163236
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I don't have access to my list right now, but I'm pretty sure Citizen Kane didn't land in my top ten--in fact, I'm pretty sure I ranked The Magnificent Ambersons higher.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Where would Citizen Kane fit best on the list?
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Well, it IS one of greatest American movies ever, but yes, I agree, it doesn't deserve to be number 1 and I don't think it topped any of our lists back then. But it was probably mentioned by most or all of us, while I guess that my personal number 1, Sergio Bergonzelli's Nelle Pieghe della Carne, sadly wasn't...

Return to “Other Film Discussions”