Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

So about those nominations...
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It doesn't matter how old someone is. I used children as an example, but I've known many battered and abused women in my life and all of them come from a similar place. They are treated like shit by their husbands, sometimes beaten, but often verbally abused. They can be told and made to feel like they are useless or worthless. It's not a kind thing to say to anyone. I don't care who you are.

And like I said, I don't care who started it. I just want it to stop. And if you are the intelligent, worldly person you claim to be, then it shouldn't be outside of your capability to admit you were out of line (even if you started out solely to defend yourself, your comments were unnecessarily vicious and continued long after was appropriate) and move on.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

Zahveed wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:You know how many children and teens who commit suicide did so because their parents told them or implied that they were useless,

You are right about this. I shouldn't have said that to Taki.

But the other two are older, arent they? One was even here ten years ago.

I'm 21. I think I'm the youngest one here.
Let's just say that I wish I was still that young.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

ITALIANO wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:You know how many children and teens who commit suicide did so because their parents told them or implied that they were useless,

I'm 21. I think I'm the youngest one here.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

ITALIANO wrote:But I'd lie if I said that I think that people who behave like these two or even you are geniuses.
I'd be lying too if I said I was a genius. I think we agree on something. Now I can leave this thread with a smile.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Damien wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:I think that might be the film about homosexuals that would finally win best picture, a movie about the Nazi persecution of gays.

Bent didn't receive any nominations. I didn't see the movie, but the play on which it was based was no great shakes.
No, it was the kind too artsy for its own good kind of film, a Derek Jarman piece made by Edward Zwick. Nothing to correspond with the Academy's sensitivities . Clive Owen was earnest and charismatic though.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Zahveed wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:People who will never understand not because they are necessarily stupid, but because they have lived all their lives like under a glass bell. To them, to those like you, I will always be "the enemy", only because I say truths too "outside" their way of thinking, truths that they are too scared to see and to accept - their little world would crumble.

I don't consider you an "enemy" because I find your arguments compelling. I don't believe your way of thinking is too "outside" of mine because so far I understand everything you've said and it's nothing new. I'm not too scared to see or accept the truths whatever they may be, because it is these truths I've been learning about all my life from various members of earthly society. What makes us "immature", "unintelligent", and to actually quote you (so you don't assume I didn't read your post properly) "lived under a glass bell", is that some of us are making light of what's growing into a seriously out-of-control argument consisting of debasing others, disrespect, and plain rudeness. If you choose to critique others be prepared to receive it, because it comes in all forms. To tell you the truth, I don't think you can even comprehend it sometimes - the things some of us say and the things we do as people just voicing our opinion in ways different from yours, and the only way you can get through it and make yourself feel better is to disregard it as ignorant drivel. I could be wrong, but that's really the way you come off. You are an intelligent man but sometimes it seems to just go over your head, and I'm not saying that out of disrespect but as someone telling you how he sees it. I expect that if you respond to this and your comment involves me being limited to my social upbringing, needing to grow up, and not understanding because I'm American, then this really did go over your head.
Zahveed, read this thread again. I wasnt attacking or insulting anyone. I was attacked and insulted first by that very young man Taki and then by another called Matthew (with, in some cases, your always welcome, by them, support). And then yes, I reacted - my limited knowledge of this language prevents me from using witty, sarcastic one-liners. But I'd lie if I said that I think that people who behave like these two or even you are geniuses.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

ITALIANO wrote:I didnt mean useless IN THIS COMMUNITY, Oscar Guy. And they know it well.
Even if you meant useless in life, it's still a horrible thing to say (and actually worse in the grand scheme of things).

You know how many children and teens who commit suicide did so because their parents told them or implied that they were useless, that they had no value. Matter of fact, there would probably even be a sector of the Nazi community (using the topic that created this discussion in defense) who would have called useless the Jews, homosexuals, communists, the mentally handicapped and anyone else who didn't conform to their personal beliefs.

You can say you disagree. You can be angry and contradict or point out the error of a statement, but I don't ever want to hear you call someone useless again.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

ITALIANO wrote:People who will never understand not because they are necessarily stupid, but because they have lived all their lives like under a glass bell. To them, to those like you, I will always be "the enemy", only because I say truths too "outside" their way of thinking, truths that they are too scared to see and to accept - their little world would crumble.
I don't consider you an "enemy" because I find your arguments compelling. I don't believe your way of thinking is too "outside" of mine because so far I understand everything you've said and it's nothing new. I'm not too scared to see or accept the truths whatever they may be, because it is these truths I've been learning about all my life from various members of earthly society. What makes us "immature", "unintelligent", and to actually quote you (so you don't assume I didn't read your post properly) "lived under a glass bell", is that some of us are making light of what's growing into a seriously out-of-control argument consisting of debasing others, disrespect, and plain rudeness. If you choose to critique others be prepared to receive it, because it comes in all forms. To tell you the truth, I don't think you can even comprehend it sometimes - the things some of us say and the things we do as people just voicing our opinion in ways different from yours, and the only way you can get through it and make yourself feel better is to disregard it as ignorant drivel. I could be wrong, but that's really the way you come off. You are an intelligent man but sometimes it seems to just go over your head, and I'm not saying that out of disrespect but as someone telling you how he sees it. I expect that if you respond to this and your comment involves me being limited to my social upbringing, needing to grow up, and not understanding because I'm American, then this really did go over your head.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Damien wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:I think that might be the film about homosexuals that would finally win best picture, a movie about the Nazi persecution of gays.

Bent didn't receive any nominations. I didn't see the movie, but the play on which it was based was no great shakes.

Paragraph 175 (2000) is a very well-made and affecting documentary on the same subject. I reviewed it here.

Edited By flipp525 on 1232995327
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Damien wrote:

It would have to be directed and/or produced by someone in the Hollywood elite or by someone well respected, like Sean Penn or George Clooney.

Bent, which I had never even heard of until you mentioned it, was directed by a first-time director named Sean Mathias who's directed nothing since. It was written by the playwright, Martin Sherman who has some notable works, but nothing groundbreaking.

It was produced by Channel Four and distributed by Goldwyn Entertainment, not exactly your big name studio.

I still think that in the right hands and with a quality script, the subject could work.
Wesley Lovell
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

Damien wrote:

If someone persuades Tom Cruise to lead, then perhaps we could have a winner.
Maybe Valkyrie was just a warm up.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I didnt mean useless IN THIS COMMUNITY, Oscar Guy. And they know it well.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Drop it, Italiano. No one on this board is "useless". You may not value their opinions. You may not like what they have to say, even if they attack you first, but that does not make them "useless".

Taki, Matthew and Zahveed have each posted intelligent comments and contributed greatly to many discussions we've had on this board. But, like everyone (INCLUDING you), they have made unwise decisions, posted unnecessary or even disagreeable content, but that does not make them any less valuable to this community.
Wesley Lovell

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”