The 2010 Emmy Awards

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

If Lost were to win, would it be the only series in television history that won the Emmy for Best Series for only its first and final seasons?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Sabin wrote:Best Actor in a Drama Series - Michael C. Hall, Dexter
Matthew Fox was simply great in the finale of Lost. He does everything you need to win an Emmy. I think he will give Michael C. Hall and Bryan Cranston a run for their money.

For Supporting Actor in a Comedy, I have a feeling it's gonna be between Neil Patrick Harris and Chris Colfer.

For Drama, I believe either Mad Men is gonna threepeat or Lost gets a goodbye win.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I'm a mere drop-in when it comes to TV, so I only look for validation of the few shows I watch.

In that vein:

I'm pleased, after three seasons, they've finally noted that Mad Men has 1) women and 2) a supporting cast beyond John Slattery. Really thrilled Christina Hendricks made it, esp. for for the Guy Walks Into an Advertising Agency episode that seemed to get (rightly) noted in a bunch of categories.

I like Elizabeth Mitchell, but her role in the last episode was so brief the nomination has a "So long and thanks for all the fish" feel to it. I'd say the multiple Lost nominations means that, at least in Academy circles, the finale is viewed positively.

I'd have bet the house on Conan getting nominated and wouldn't be surprised were he to win. He clearly emerged from the wreckage with the Good Guy mantle, and the voters weren't dumb enough to deviate from that narrative.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I liked the Friday Nights Live movie but I only watched the first episode of the TV series which I didn't like. Kyle Chandler, though, I have always liked. I him remember quite well from Early Edition, a show I watched faithfully in the late 90s. I suppose I should give FNL another chance.

I agree with DWS that the actors in The Pacific should have been given more credit, especially Joe Mazzello, James Badge Dale and Ashton Holmes.

I like Glee, I like True Blood, but have yet to watch Modern Family.

I'm pleased with all the Mad Men acting nods. I'm happy to see Breaking Bad still winning kudos in its third season. Maybe Aaron Paul will finally win.

Overall these are not bad nominations with an emphasis on new shows and repeat nominees in drama in the drama categories, that except for Lost haven't warn out their welcome. Comedy is another matter. Except for Glee and Modern Family, it's a repeat of the last three or four years, the last eight as far as Tony Shalhoub goes.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I don't watch a lot of television these days. Basically Community, The Office, South Park, and 30 Rock. The Office has been a drag for a few years now. 30 Rock is a fine watch but there's little spark and excitement with it lately. South Park had a bumpy season. They nominated the wrong episode. They should have given it to "You Have Zero Friends", which taps into the sad existence of facebook users amazingly well. And Community certainly deserved something for its relentlessly innovative use of the community college as meta-humor a go go. But it was a long shot to begin with. Gillian Jacobs is an incredibly beautiful and funny presence, as is Alison Brie.

I've seen a few episodes of Modern Family and I'm a little glad that Ed O'Neil wasn't nominated. He's the weak link in the cast for me. He's a talented actor who's visibly coasting. The rest of the cast is outstanding. I don't know how voters will separate husbands Ferguson and Stonestreet from each other, so I'm predicting that Ty Burrell will win. He benefits from being incredibly well-meaning, hilarious, and kind of an idiot. I'm very pleased that the locked-up Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy category has changed it up so much this year. Usually it's in a place of boring status for a few years and then it changes.

Jane Lynch is a lock. I haven't seen Glee yet. I'll probably do so in the next few days. I need a pick me up. It seems to be between Glee and Modern Family, two newbies, one of them far more a typical comedy than the other.

I like that Men of a Certain Age got something. Haven't seen Friday Night Lights. I suppose I'm to blame for its failure. My sister adores it though and can't shut up about Kyle Chandler. Gun to my head and I'll say that the winners will look something like this...

Best Drama Series - Dexter
Best Comedy Series - Modern Family
Best Actor in a Drama Series - Michael C. Hall, Dexter
Best Actor in a Comedy Series - Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
Best Actress in a Drama Series - Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife
Best Actress in a Comedy Series - Toni Collette, The United States of Tara
Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series - Aaron Paul, Breaking Bad
Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series - Ty Burrell, Modern Family
Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series - Elisabeth Moss, Mad Men
Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series - Jane Lynch, Glee

My real hope is that Conan O'Brien wins for Variety/Comedy Program. He's up against The Daily Show, so I don't expect that to happen, but it would be an amazing piece of television...and validation. The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien for me became the most essential television of the year. Every night you tuned in to see just what the fuck was going to be said. I'm not even talking about Conan explaining why he's going or where, but just how this show would go about happening night after night. The finale was an amazing send-off.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Anon, I was only looking at the lead and supporting nominations. The show has never had a problem getting guest nominations.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I just noticed: No 4-camera sitcom got nominated this year.

I've been hearing all this praise for Friday Night Lights but honestly, its premise (a football family drama set in an American small town) isn't very appealing to me but nevertheless I'm happy for its fans.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I used to follow the Emmys a lot more when I watched a lot more television. I don't watch too many series now. But some thoughts...

Quite a few "default" nominees were left off for some cool choices this year. I don't think you could gripe too much about the same old, same old nominees this year -- a lot of shows and performers that really hit the zeitgeist are recognized.

YAY for the nominations for all three Mad Men women. It seemed like all three were on the bubble, but all gave fine performances this season, and it was especially nice to see first-time nominations for Jones and Hendricks.

Despite its occasional cheesiness, I'm a bit taken with Glee. The directing nomination for "Wheels" -- easily its best episode this season -- was hugely deserved. (But no nod for its Choreography? Doesn't that show seem tailor-made for that award?)

I was on the thumbs-up side of the much-discussed Lost finale, so I think all those nominations for that episode were deserving.

dws, I thought of you when reading over those Friday Night Lights nominations. My sister swears by the show, and I've been meaning to catch up on her DVDs. Everyone I know who watches it adores it.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

OscarGuy wrote:Mad Men fans can rejoice.

Not only is Jon Hamm nominated, but so are January Jones, Christina Hendricks, Elisabeth Moss and John Slattery.
Don't forget Robert Morse.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Mad Men fans can rejoice.

Not only is Jon Hamm nominated, but so are January Jones, Christina Hendricks, Elisabeth Moss and John Slattery.
Wesley Lovell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:
anonymous wrote:OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A MINISERIES, MOVIE or DRAMATIC SPECIAL
Dame Judi Dench, Return to Cranford: Masterpiece Theater (PBS)
Maggie Smith, Capturing Mary (Showtime)
Hmmm, it seems to me that either Judi Dench should be listed without her title or Dame Maggie Smith should be listed with hers.
I don't think either lady will care now that they have both been nominated.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I'm thrilled Matthew Fox and Elizabeth Mitchell (who is the first and only female acting nominee from Lost) got recognized for the show's last season.

I'm hoping against hope Conan wins Variety Series.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

After glancing at the site, it appears [/I]The Emmies have about 100 tech categories.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Nominations are available online at The Emmy Website.

The Pacific leads with 24 nominations, including every single nomination in one of the technical categories, but not even one nomination for any of the actors. But of course, Michael Gambon got in for his nothing performance in Emma (and I liked that Miniseries a good bit overall), Jeff Bridges got in for winning the Oscar earlier this year, and Ian McKellen got in for being Ian McKellen. The Emmys have this fascinating ability to get things completely wrong even when they're getting other things right.

A good case in point is the nominations for Friday Night Lights. After three seasons of no nominations, no one expected Connie Britton and Kyle Chandler to get nominated in Lead Actress and Actor, especially since it's off on cable now. But there they are, with two very deserved nominations. And what do you know? "The Son", their best episode of the season, got a completely deserving writing nomination. So I was thinking, "Zach Gilford obviously got in Guest Actor", since he is the Son that the episode title, and his performance in it is nothing short of incredible. But I scrolled to that category and saw that they have seven nominees in Guest Actor, and Gilford isn't one of them. And he had probably more media hype coming off of that episode than anyone else from the show. They finally gave the show some overdue recognition, but they ignored the best (and most talked about) part of the most talked about episode they had. Strange.

Although I sometimes feel guilty for watching it, I'm disappointed Intervention didn't get in the Reality Series category. The episode about Bret was excellent. They must not have submitted that one.

Glad Clint Eastwood got nominated for a Johnny Mercer special he produced for TCM.

Hope Sissy Spacek wins Guest Actress in a Drama Series. Her final confrontation with Bill Paxton was killer.

Edited By dws1982 on 1278600199
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

anonymous wrote:OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A MINISERIES, MOVIE or DRAMATIC SPECIAL
Dame Judi Dench, Return to Cranford: Masterpiece Theater (PBS)
Maggie Smith, Capturing Mary (Showtime)
Hmmm, it seems to me that either Judi Dench should be listed without her title or Dame Maggie Smith should be listed with hers.

Return to “Broadcast Media”