OLTL (aka, The Best Show on TV) - You should be watching this show!

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Part 23 1/2 : Fish and John work together to expose Officer Keaton; Layla has an enlightening conversation with Nick.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Small bit from today : Fish has duty alongside Officer Keaton at the Mayor's rally with Viki, John, Dorian and Blair in attendance (this is important for what will happen next week).
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

A non-Kish highlight from Thursday's OLTL, as scheming con-man turned hemorrhoid ointment commercial star turned hopeful reality TV star David Vickers (Tuc Watkins) shows up at the Buchanan mansion, where he hilariously spills all their dirty secrets.

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Part 22 and Part 23 : Cris and Layla are set up; Stacy and Kim move in on Fish; Kyle and Nick have a date.

Is OLTL the gayest (and best) show on TV?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think OLTL is doing a spectacular job with the Fish/Kyle storyline, but today's episode cemeted for me the fact that I think it could very well be the best show on TV. The writing and acting is so finely tuned that you (or, at least, I) can't take your eyes off of it, and it leaves you breathless waiting for the next episode. Of course, the fact that it's summer and the only competition is reality programing helps, but, even then, compared to what prime-time shows I watched last season, it even betters those programs.

And it's certainly the "gayest" show on TV right now, thanks, I would imagine, to out headwriter Ron Carlivati: the dialogue on this show has that certain sensibility that could only come from a gay man. And it's not just in the Fish/Kyle storyline, but also in any scene involving Dorian or Blair or Téa or David--today's ep had some of the funniest one-liners ever. And, then, on a dime, it turns dramatic and quite moving--I think David really showed genuine concern for Matthew at the end of today's episode. It also seems to be one of the edgiest shows on network TV: not just what the characters have said (discussions of bisexuality, gay 3-ways, backhanded references to anal sex, etc.) but portraying the obvious attraction, not to mention the desire, between two men is, I think, unprecedented for network TV.

I wish more people were watching. OLTL should be #1 in the ratings, not the messed up (and apparently cowardly) Y&R!

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Part 21 : Stacy puts the moves on Kyle in her plan to get re-pregnant; Fish gets an eyeful of Kyle's potential boy-toy, Nick.

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Excellent interview with Brett Claywell; last page features some major spoilers!

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Part 19 and Part 20 : Cristian talks to Blair about Fish and Layla; Fish has a conversation with Kyle; Stacy's friend Kim helps her determine who could be a potential sperm donor.

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Part 18 : Cristian isn't happy when he learns Fish had sex with Layla.

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Part 16 and Part 17 : Kyle confides in Roxy about his kiss with Fish; Cristian gives Fish an ultimatum regarding Layla.

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

SoapCentral's analysis of Kish on OLTL:

Okay, so this is the real motherlode. Last stop, everybody off, time for hot guys kissing. Maybe I'm applying my own cultural conditioning after years of watching uncomfortable straight actors try to play gay, but I was stunned by how much Brett Claywell sold his passionate kiss with Scott Evans this week; we could see every inch of Kyle's desperate longing, proving that a real actor, straight or gay, can always subsume themselves (Claywell is straight) for the sake of character integrity. Like Bo and Nora's old-embers-stirred-to-flame clinch the previous week, Kyle and Fish's big Hollywood kiss started out clumsy, then turned furtive, tender, and very serious. It's great stuff, and we still only have pieces of the backstory, but I know that's yet to come.

What's remarkable about Kyle's character for a "soap gay guy" is that he's so normal and unpretentious; there was never any big, overblown scene where he stood up and said, "YES, ROXY - I, KYLE LEWIS, HAVE KNOWN THE TOUCH OF A MAN, FOR I AM GAY! MOTHER MARY, FORGIVE ME! I AM ADAM, AND I LOVE STEVE!!" Kyle's a working adult, he just is gay, no press conference; we caught the casual inference and the offhand remarks just like you would any GLBT person in real life, where there is not a setpiece or a signpost to announce one's orientation. And his character still retains that gritty edge to it, that seamy past; no other gay character on American daytime, except perhaps Olivia Spencer on GL, is allowed that touch of danger (excepting Adam on Y&R, who doesn't seem to be gay). When he seethes at us in the opening sequence, you know he might be up to no good. Or he should be. Cris knows the truth, which mean Layla can't be far behind; if, with Oliver's secret out, this storyline turns into a standard come here-go away courtship for the boys, I'll be annoyed. Kyle should screw with Oliver and vice versa the same way straight couples/vixens/etc on soaps duel to sublimate their passions. "Kish" is too genuine to do the same old vanilla story beats we've seen with sanitized gay couples too many times. Already, we have two adult gay men, not dewy male ingenues, in pro-active roles on the canvas, busting stereotypes; Fish is a cop, Kyle a criminal. Their kiss was raw and rough, not virginal. The show hasn't pussyfooted around, and I appreciate it; it's pure, uncut Kish, baby, and I can't get enough.

The rest of the article offers a fine overall look at the show, and why YOU SHOULD BE WATCHING!

Link.

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Part 15 : The fallout from Fish and Kyle's kiss.

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Part 14 : Cristian finally gets a clue as Kyle and Fish have a heated conversation.... Best thing on TV in a long time!

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Today's episode totally ROCKED!!! As soon as a clip is up, I'll share it here. NOT to be missed!

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Don't foget, today's the big day on One Life to Live! Fish and Kyle locking lips! I know, I'm silly, but I'm so excited! :D

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Soap Scoop previews this week's ABC soaps, including the Fish/Kyle kiss on OLTL--the good stuff happens around the 35 second mark.

And just for Flipp: Blair and Dorian do Grey Gardens.

Return to “Broadcast Media”