Emmy Nominations

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Damien wrote:I assume that, at age 92, Ernest Borgnine is the oldest Emmy nominee ever.

And I know that it won Best Actor last year, but I still have no idea what Breaking Bad is.
It's about a high school chemistry teacher who after finding out he's got a terminal illness and his wife is pregnant, resorts to selling illegal drugs. I saw a couple of episodes. It's a pretty good show.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I assume that, at age 92, Ernest Borgnine is the oldest Emmy nominee ever.

And I know that it won Best Actor last year, but I still have no idea what Breaking Bad is.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

dws1982 wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:But, with all the finagling they did with the categories, Hugh Jackman failed to earn an expected nod for hosting the Oscars.
I couldn't find the Variety/Music/Comedy performance categories anywhere in the list. Did they cancel the category, or did I just overlook it?
They did away with that category. Instead the hosts/performers are nominated along with the producers in their respective programs while sketch performers from sketch shows like SNL can submit themselves in Supporting and Guest performance in a comedy series categories.

But still they have a category for Reality Show hosting. ???
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

A small distinction, but one that is probably good enough for Emmy is that the Kennedy Center Honors are primarily singing and dancing in honor of the recipients who have already received their medals as opposed to the Oscars where the emphasis is on giving out the awards.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Damien wrote:I don't pay much attention to the Emmys because other than shows on HGTV and MSNBC the only program I watch is Mad Men, but can anyone explain why the Oscars is nominated in something called Special Class Program while the Kennedy Center Honors is up for Outstanding Variety, Music Or Comedy Special?

I remember they changed the rule a year or two back. I just took a look at their rules and procedures on the Emmy website, and I couldn't find any reasoning at all for it. It just said that awards shows and the superbowl halftime show, and "programs exclusively originated for a medium other than television or broadband" are no longer eligible in the Variety/Music/Comedy category. The Emmy folks never seem content unless they're changing rules on something. This is about the third or fourth time in the past decade they've overhauled the voting system, so I guess they just felt like changing that rule just for the hell of it.

Edited By dws1982 on 1247781591
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I don't pay much attention to the Emmys because other than shows on HGTV and MSNBC the only program I watch is Mad Men, but can anyone explain why the Oscars is nominated in something called Special Class Program while the Kennedy Center Honors is up for Outstanding Variety, Music Or Comedy Special?
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

That is odd. I had thought they were splitting out the performance categories between music programs and others so that the likes of Tony Bennett weren't constantly pushing out people like Jon Stewart, etc. But maybe they just got rid of the categories altogether.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

dws1982 wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:But, with all the finagling they did with the categories, Hugh Jackman failed to earn an expected nod for hosting the Oscars.
I couldn't find the Variety/Music/Comedy performance categories anywhere in the list. Did they cancel the category, or did I just overlook it?
I couldn't find it either, even after searching "Jackman," "Stewart," "Colbert" and "Gervais."
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

But, with all the finagling they did with the categories, Hugh Jackman failed to earn an expected nod for hosting the Oscars.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

This year's Oscar show was nominated for Most Outstanding Special Class Program. And a slew of other awards.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, many here should be excited to notice this, but I didn't until I started scanning through...Two and a Half Men did NOT receive an Emmy nomination in Comedy Series.
Wesley Lovell
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

I agree with Eric somewhere below in that I'm also bummed about the exclusion of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia being non-existent among the nominations. Easily one of the funniest shows on TV, much funnier than FUCKING Family Guy.

Though last season of Rescue Me wasn't the best, it still provides some of the best comedy and drama on television and Denis Leary should have been among the line-up for Best Actor - Drama.

One more thing to add: Alison Pill should have been nominated along with Dianne Wiest and Hope Davis for Best Supporting Actress for In Treatment. Pill's storyline was much more dramatic, in my opinion.

On a lighter note, excellent news for Mad Men.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

You can't really count the 1961 nomination of The Flintstones as a Comedy Series nomination.

There was only one outstanding program award. The others were "Fields of" awards. The Field of Humor category, which might metamorphose into Comedy series one day, but was not at that time, featured the following nominations:

Andy Griffith Show - CBS - n/a
Bob Hope Buick Show - NBC - n/a
Candid Camera - CBS - n/a
Flintstones - ABC - n/a
The Jack Benny Show - CBS - n/a

Andy Griffith and Flintstones were the only actual "Series" in the list. The others were variety programs. Thus, Flintstones is not considered to have ever been nominated for comedy series. This Field of Humor is more akin to the Variety, Comedy, Music series category than it is to the modern Comedy Series category.
Wesley Lovell
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I just read that The Flintstones were actually the first animated show nominated in this category. That soothes the pain, just a bit.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."

Return to “Broadcast Media”