2006 Emmy Award Nominations

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

I'm excited about some of my faves getting nods. Six Feet Under and The West Wing were terrific shows (I think WW's first four seasons are universally considered some of the most sublime TV ever broadcast, especially in my heart), and they went out with strong final seasons after some rough patches (fourth uneven season of SFU and an almost embarassing fifth for WW). Very happy to see 24 lead the TV series pack for their most taut and exciting season since the second (kudos to Itzin and Smart, their First Couple made the season). A bit confused about Lost not getting a nod after winning last year, but then I haven't seen the second season as of yet (though I thought the first season was quite spectacular, sorry to the naysayers).
Martin Sheen's nomination in the lead category is a bit puzzling, as he was much more of a supporting player. That series has always had some of the finest acting on TV, and I'm glad to see they have a final chance to be honored (not like I've ever seen any of Janney's speeches, were they really long-winded?). Six Feet Under's acting recognition is also nice to see, both shows will be missed and re-watched on my DVDs.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I'm GLAD Lost got hosed today. I enjoyed season one, but season two, as I mentioned before, was a huge disappointment for me. The voters managed to nominate it where it deserved mention: Directing for the finale, Writing for "The 23rd Psalm" (the best writing job the show did last season), Henry Ian Cusick for Guest Actor, and most of the techs.

Another thing that made me really glad: The Desperate Housewives hype finally died, and voters realized on watching the tapes that it really is a rotten show. Will & Grace should've been put out to pasture years ago, but at least they finally did this year.

The new system definitely produced some odd nominations: House gets in for Series, but not for Hugh Laurie, who is the show. I wouldn't have nominated Hugh Laurie myself, and don't see anything in his performance that any credible actor couldn't pull off, but it's really strange that the show got nominated if he didn't. Gandolfini and Falco getting snubbed, and of course last year's Lead winners in the drama categories both missed out this year. And they gave first-time nominations to two actors in long running shows: Chris Meloni (who the writers were really trying to write Emmy episodes for) and Kevin James. But they still managed to pull some really tired people off the ice: Allison Janney and Martin Sheen both made it back in after they'd been left off last year.

The supporting categories didn't have many of those "What the hell?" nominations/omissions that the lead categories, probably because they're still by popular vote. I thought that Lindsay Duncan and Ciaran Hinds from Rome at least had outside shots at nominations in Support. (Tobias Menzies was probably my favorite, but he didn't have a shot.) Ditto for Jenna Fischer and John Krasinski from The Office on the comedy side. I thought they had decent shots, but Emmy voters usually go for recognizable names.

Was glad Rome got some technical nominations, although its Visual Effects nomination for the first episode was a real WTF nomination. The episode that had killer visual effects was "The Spoils", with that arena scene. I wish Battlestar Galactica had gotten more nominations too.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

cam wrote:I know that Woodard is Supporting. But to single her out is absurd.

It's a little bit of irony for Marc Cherry: the one actress on the show who was consistently shafted storyline-wise winds up the only one nominated for an Emmy (besides Knight). It's a rather delicious helping of "go #### yourself" to a writer who admitted he was writing the season Bree-heavy in order to get her an Emmy. This all hopefully serves as a wake-up call to the writer that the show is in serious trouble.

Alfre did a great job with a very limited storyline and an unlikeable character. The scene where she starts playing the piano in order to distract everyone at the neighborhood meeting was very well done. And her moments with Marcia Cross were meaty enough to let her show at least some of the acting chops we know she has.

Rather than embarrassed, I'm sure she's rather amused with the nod, quite frankly.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

I know that Woodard is Supporting. But to single her out is absurd.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

The Emmy Awards have about as much significance to me as the NASCAR Driver of the Year prize, but I am pleased that the only two shows I watch were nominated: The Sopranos and Real Time With Bill Maher, although it's absurd that Gandolfini and Falco weren't nominated.

It's interesting that the Outstanding Variety, Music Or Comedy Series cateegory has such sharp contenders (finally no Saturday Night Live!) that suddenly Letterman is the least hip of the nominees.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

anonymous wrote:Tom O'Neil is being a douche bag again:
I wouldn't call him a douche bag, I would just say he's insane.

I saw his bovine face on Scarborough Country twice this past week mouthing about the Star Jones "scandal." My God, this person will do anything to be on TV.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Tom O'Neil is being a douche bag again:
But I can tell you why those Desperate Housewives were probably bitchslapped. It's their own fault! Why, oh, why did they submit the season opener to the judging panel instead of the season finale, which was 30 minutes longer and one of the most brilliant episodes of the whole past TV year? I can tell you why Felicity Huffman's not nommed. She submitted the episode where she goes out boozing after hours with the boss, probably thinking that it was a wise choice in the comedy categories. Wrong! Dear, dear, Felicity! You're still not listening to me! You made that same goof last year and only ended up winning because Marcia Cross screwed up and submitted your best episode for you! I've told you that in the past. Obviously, you didn't take it seriously! This must all be Marc Cherry's fault. Last year he bullied you into submitting the pilot. I sure hope you ended up sending Marcia a muffin basket later when you realized your mistake. Or, wait, that's right, you never quite realized it.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Penelope wrote:
dws1982 wrote:But she didn't get nominated over them. She was nominated in Support, and they were pushed as Lead.

I meant within the context of the show, not the category.
I was actually replying to cam.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Big Magilla wrote:The good: Denis Leary, Christopher Meloni, Sandra Oh, Shirley Knight; the out-of-nowhere nomination for Shirley Jones.
Shirley Jones's nod is not exactly 'out of nowhere'. I've been told that she's been very actively campaigning for the nomination (as evidenced by the numerous paid FYC ads all around trade papers) and apparently, it worked.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

dws1982 wrote:
Alfre Woodard? Over Eva Longoria or Marcia Cross?

But she didn't get nominated over them. She was nominated in Support, and they were pushed as Lead.
I meant within the context of the show, not the category.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Penelope wrote:I like Alfre Woodard, but there's absolutely NO way she deserved a nomination for her slumming in a pointless storyline on this show.

The supporting categories are still by popular vote, rather than by the new viewing panels that determined lead nominees, and Woodard is a huge Emmy favorite.

Alfre Woodard? Over Eva Longoria or Marcia Cross?

But she didn't get nominated over them. She was nominated in Support, and they were pushed as Lead.
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

A depressing list. Alfre Woodard? Over Eva Longoria or Marcia Cross? Come on. Woodard emoted all over the place. She will be embarrassed by this nomination, I am sure.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

In defense of West Wing...it had one of its best seasons this past year. It was fantastic. The drama, the politics, the election...everything was incredibly well written and acted. It deserved its perch.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

To the extent that I care, I have only a couple of comments:

• Amused that South Park submitted the episode that they can't show anymore in certain markets thanks to heat from Tom Cruise.

• Go Stephen Colbert! Now the question is who to root for between it and The Daily Show.

• I know it was by-and-large a disappointment nearly across the board, but couldn't the Masters of Horror dredge up even one director nomination? Not even for Joe Dante universally well-received episode?

EDIT -- Oh, and I forgot:

• Robbed from reality show categories: Being Bobby Brown, Next and So You Think You Can Dance? Sure, they're trash, but so are Survivor and American Idol.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

The Original BJ wrote:I'm hardly the biggest fan of Desperate Housewives, but how on earth was the only regular nominated . . . Alfre Woodard?
How is this possible? I like Alfre Woodard, but there's absolutely NO way she deserved a nomination for her slumming in a pointless storyline on this show. Marcia Cross and Eva Longoria shoulda been nominated, they were both aces this year (while the show itself kept threatening to fall apart). I'm simply aghast.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

Return to “Broadcast Media”