Our Individual Elections

99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

... and we certainly COULD gloat, if you were at all worth it.
BTW: Congratulations to all of you who helped give Bush a "thumpin'" ( his words).
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

criddic, I would think that you would at least appreciate the fact that none of us are gloating.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

This is what I said:

"He has now broken faith with the United States of America. That's some accomplishment. All Clinton did was break faith with his spouse."

What is hateful about THAT??
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

criddic will you please finally learn to include the names of the people from whom you are quoting? Thank you.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

All Clinton did was break faith with his spouse

Oh and now that Pelosi is going to be speaker, can we just get together and smoke Bush and Cheney already? I'm usually against killing of any kind but in this case, I feel like I could make an exception.

That fag Ken Mehlman addresses the assh oles:

criddic, I'm not at all surprised you voted for Clinton. I would fully expect you to support a conservative war monger like her

It is a true testament to the California Democrats' incompetence that

Can you be any more hateful than these statements?
I mean, really! When President Bush won re-election did you see me saying things like this? No. I was happy and positive, but I did not direct hate messages toward candidates or other people. I didn't like Kerry, but I could at least see why some people voted for him.

I voted for Schumer in 2004 and I voted for Clinton in 2006. Clinton is not one of my favorate people. I think she'd be a horrible President. However, I wouldn't characterize her as a warmonger or a conservative. She did play to moderates in the Republican Party and Independents in this election, which is just smart politics. I believe she is at heart more liberal than she has thus far let on. Having said that, I think she is also smart enough to see that her vote in 2002 for use of force in Iraq was based on something she and her husband had seen and believed to be true long before Bush was ever elected to office. This is why I voted for her (in addition to the delicious notion of her running in 2008). She was willing to stand on principal, perhaps not as strongly as Lieberman did, and showed a willingness to occassionally do what was right instead of what was popular.

Pelosi will not push for impeachment, knowing that it would end up a pointless excercise. The Democrats want to win more elections after this, so they'll have to get some things done. The only way they can do that is to work with the Republicans, who would resent a campaign to impeach their President. Even those who view the President's policy in Iraq as flawed will not likely join Democrats in such a move. So it is smart not to make the next two years about impeachment.

Also, Clinton did more than just cheat on his wife. He lied under oath and lied repeatedly to the American people. And it was proven. You may think Bush has lied, but it has not really been proven. Only those who dislike the President have even attempted to make a weak-at-best scenario to back up the idea that he lied to go into Iraq, which has not worked to a degree that would help an impeachment set-up.

I think Democrats should be happy to have won this election. Do some real work, get some bills passed, try to work with the White House a little, and make a case for real victory in Iraq. Then they'll win other Congressional elections. If not, they may risk losing their new majority.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Lieberman has promised that he will caucus for the Democrats. Nothing would please me more than the Dems telling him to screw off. But I understand the pragmatism behind keeping him.

Not only are the Democrats in control of the senate, there are two independents who will align with the Dems more often than not.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

Does Liebermann keep his seniority now that he has been elected as an independent rather than a Democrat? If so, he could be of some value to Connecticut. As an independent who had been a relatively conservative Democrat in a very tightly divided Senate, he may be able to bring some pork home. Both parties may see him as potential ally in close votes. The Democratic majority, as thin as it is, may do almost anything to keep him in their caucus.

I know it is hard for many of you to see anything positive about Liebermann's return to the Senate, so I thought I would give it a try.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Lieberman's the one I'd be willing to face the consequences for. Fuc king son of a bitch in love with his own evil.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Oh and now that Pelosi is going to be speaker, can we just get together and smoke Bush and Cheney already? I'm usually against killing of any kind but in this case, I feel like I could make an exception.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Damien wrote: I have an awful hangover today. A mixture of champagne celebrating the Dems' victory and Scotch lamenting Saint Ned's defeat by that grotesque little man. Thank God for hair of the dog.

LOL, I felt the same way in 2004 when Bush was re-elected. I got so drunk I could barely remember what country I was voting in.

Funny how alcohol can be used for celebration and depression. As Homer Simpson once said of alcohol, it's the cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

That fag Ken Mehlman addresses the assh oles:

Dear Reactionary Asswipe,

Over the last two years, you and millions of others from across our great nation banded together to support our disgusting Party. I am well aware how much each and every one of you dedicated yourselves to this evil cause, and I know that yesterday's results included many disappointments. On behalf of the simpleton President and the Party, I thank you.

Some may wonder if the extraordinary efforts - walking door-to-door, making calls, registering new voters, volunteering at headquarters, stuffing envelopes, lying about every thing - were worth it. I want to tell you something I believe with all of my cold cruel heart: you made an important difference. Our Party and our cause were worth the effort in 2006. Your hard work and dedication helped us retain many seats {Best Face Forward Lie}} and will pay dividends in 2007 and beyond.

Our messages of expanding freedom at home {except for gays, people who want to burn the flag as an an expression of civil disobedience, women who choose to terminate their pregnancy, people with Middle Eastern surnames} and defending freedom abroad persist as the right answers for our nation. Indeed, many of the Democrats who won yesterday embraced our platform and our values. {Another convenient lie} Last night, however, the voters sent a message, and we need to make sure we receive that message loud and clear: We are evil self-serving f ucks, toadies to the rich and powerful. MY homo ass loves licking their boots. We need to recommit ourselves to conservative reform. Our leaders must work to provide bipartisan solutions to the challenges facing our country, and demonstrate the highest standards that our Party expects and the nation deserves.

Going into the 2006 cycle, we knew that we faced an enormous challenge. The party of the incumbent President typically loses 29 House seats and three Senate seats during the second midterm. Since World War II, this average loss is even higher. And in wartime, midterm losses are equally high. {Clintom gained seats}

So we faced an historic challenge - and we were not able to overcome it yesterday. But adversity is no excuse. Our excuse is that we're nasty. cruel and stupid, and as such we expected stupid Americans to embrace us.

Our party is built on malicious ideas and messages of hate that transcend any one election. The principles of Lincoln and Reagan {talk about a contradiction in terms} remain alive and well in the policies of our moron President, and will persist in the face of a loyal Democratic opposition, as they did throughout the senile ol' bastard Gipper's two terms. We will recruit a new generation of Hitler Youth, continue to improve our party's operations, bring new faces and farts into our party, and reengage in the battle for our countrymen's hearts and minds, stronger than ever. Our leaders will redouble their efforts to enact a conservative agenda and make us proud, but at the same time embarrassed to be queer.

So please accept the thanks of a grateful jerkoff President and a grateful group of mean spirited rich jerks who are the backbone of our party. It's time to regroup. And then let's get back to work.

Sincerely,

Ken "Girly Boy" Mehlman
Chairfag, Republican National Committee

PS Hey criddic, Call me.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Akash wrote:Screw classes tomorrow. I plan to get very wasted tonight and make out with everyone.

I have an awful hangover today. A mixture of champagne celebrating the Dems' victory and Scotch lamenting Saint Ned's defeat by that grotesque little man. Thank God for hair of the dog.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Damien wrote:That hobbit Lieberman is the most loathsome person in America. But the other person to whom I donated money this year, Chris Murphy, defeated the awful Nancy Johnson in Connecticut's 5th.

LMAO! Lieberman is indeed a wormy hobbit.

I canvassed with the college Democrats this weekend for Chris Murphy who - apart from being ridiculously young - is just an all round nice guy and won't go around cutting Pell Grants and other financial aid horrors like the current Administration. Really could this regime be any more elitist and out of touch with American youth in its fiscal decisions?

I am over the moon for the Democrats and especially glad that our efforts for Murphy weren't in vain.

Screw classes tomorrow. I plan to get very wasted tonight and make out with everyone.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I should be feeling overjoyed today, but I just feel so sad about Ned Lamont -- I feel much as I did the night George McGovern lost in 1972. Some people are jjust too good for the people of this country. That hobbit Lieberman is the most loathsome person in America. But the other person to whom I donated money this year, Chris Murphy, defeated the awful Nancy Johnson in Connecticut's 5th.

Still, a wonderful election. Probably the best election day in my lifetime. And did anyone notice that one of my heroes, Daniel Ortega won the presidency in Nicaragua?

criddic, I'm not at all surprised you voted for Clinton. I would fully expect you to support a conservative war monger like her.

Now on to 2008 and Russ Feingold!!!!
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Dems also have a majority of governorships in something like twenty years. Redraw those districts!

And the best statistic: not a single incumbent Democrat lost his or her seat. That's incredible.

How many incumbent Republicans lost? Anyone want to count?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “Current Events”