Post-Globe Predictions

1998 through 2007
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

i just saw NOTES ON A SCANDAL last night. i think we can safely say that helen mirren has absolutely no competition this year. judi dench was deliciously evil, but she is not anywhere near mirren's performance. cate blanchett was alright, but she did a much better job in BABEL and even more so in THE GOOD GERMAN. i suppose she could get nominated for this film by default.
i usually love philip glass, but the score for the film was so unbelievably over the top. actually the entire film was over the top. at one point judi dench's character calls the whole story an opera, and i would have to agree. everyone is screaming and thrashing about. it is the same director of IRIS which i loved, but this movie was so overblown.
keeping with the anti-homophobia theme we have going, i had a problem with the whole predatory-lesbian aspect of the movie. i knew going into the film that was the main thrust of the story, but i figured it was going to be handled better. i was wrong. the whole thing is about good heterosexuals having to defeat the evil dyke :angry: (the emoticon is there so you know i am using that word in context).
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Movielover
Graduate

Post by Movielover »

Hmmm. Why do you think so many homosexuals are attracted to posting on UAADB?
mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

ITALIANO wrote:Well, let's face it, on this board there are only three heterosexuals among the regular contributors (I counted them!) so it HAD to happen... and it's not a bad thing.
No, of course it's not, but it makes for good humor sometimes! When tensions aren't rising.
"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Well, let's face it, on this board there are only three heterosexuals among the regular contributors (I counted them!) so it HAD to happen... and it's not a bad thing.
mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

Damien wrote:Mason, who co-wrote Inside Oscar with me, was pretty queeny, and one of my closest friends is as queeny as they come though his parents were clueless lol), though most of my friends could "pass" lol. It never mattered to me how butch or faggy a guy was, as long as he liked sucking ####. As my friend Doug likes to say, we need to honor the fems.

Like Flipp, I assumed Rolo was a straight guy being homophobic. I still think he has lousy tatse.

LOL, you all are incredible! Where did this sudden surge of dirty talk and go-for-the-jugglar verbal wars come from? We surely didn't have all of this at the old board! See what a film like Crash winning Best Pic can do? :D
"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Mason, who co-wrote Inside Oscar with me, was pretty queeny, and one of my closest friends is as queeny as they come though his parents were clueless lol), though most of my friends could "pass" lol. It never mattered to me how butch or faggy a guy was, as long as he liked sucking ####. As my friend Doug likes to say, we need to honor the fems.

Like Flipp, I assumed Rolo was a straight guy being homophobic. I still think he has lousy tatse.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

rolotomasi99 wrote:yes i am a queen :D unlike flipp525 who is a totally straight acting (self-loathing) homosexual who equates being butch and masculine with being better. :(

Okay, I felt like it was time to respond to this. rolo, basically I responded in anger to what I thought was an unfair homophobic comment about "showtune loving queens". Like OscarGuy said, I had no idea that a) you were gay and b) you were being tongue-in-cheek (emoticons certainly do serve to clarify the poster's intention). My anger and hurt at being pigeonholed in such a way led me to proclaim, (admittedly, perhaps too proudly) that I was probably more "straight" than you were (obviously assuming that you were a straight guy in the first place). I don't equate being "straight-acting" or muscular with being better than any other gay guy out there. I will admit to being concerned with cultivating a more masculine/muscular/gym-friendly persona but that's because that happens to be the kind of guy I'm most attracted to. That's why I put in so much time at the gym. I don't think I'm homophobic. Body-dysmorphic, perhaps, but not homophobic.

rolotomasi99 wrote:your little tirade about being so "butch, masculine, and muscular" sure makes you sound like the homophobe. you are implying that nelly little bottoms like me are lesser than you because you and your boyfriend are steroid popping gym bunnies. being straight-acting does not make you better than me.

Heck, I'm a bottom myself!
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Wow. I go off-line for a week and my dear friends are at each other's throats!!! :O
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

rolotomasi99 wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:I ask because spewing bile is an expression.

is that what linda blair was spewing in THE EXORCIST? :p
that was, i think, pea soup.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

OscarGuy wrote:I ask because spewing bile is an expression.
is that what linda blair was spewing in THE EXORCIST? :p
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I ask because spewing bile is an expression. Meh. Doesn't matter to me. I'm just glad you realize that I was responding as if it weren't a joke, as a joke and from another gay man, it doesn't bother me as much. It's like the N word. If you're part of the club, it's ok to use it. If you aren't, you'd better step back. :)
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I think it's time to grow up, all of you...
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Sabin wrote:rolo, I've got to ask...

You saw 'Rent'? And 'The Producers'? I love musicals, but you wouldn't catch me dead seeing one of those!

What are ya? A fookin' queen?!?

yes i am a queen :D unlike flipp525 who is a totally straight acting (self-loathing) homosexual who equates being butch and masculine with being better. :(

reza, none of what i wrote was directed at you since as far as i know you did not attack me, unlike some people :angry:

i guess i just assumed you already knew i was gay oscarguy. i had mentioned it earlier in my previous post about not falling into the gay stereotype of loving all musicals (though i do like some). :;):
i thought that comment made it obvious that i was just joking about the showtune queens. i know i cannot expect you to memorize everyone's stated sexuality or anything, but you should have just scrolled down and seen that i was clearly not gay bashing.

well, enough of this. can we just move on? i am o.k., you are o.k., we are all o.k. except flipp525, who is getting ready with his muscle bound boyfriend to gaybash me. :laugh:

i hope my use of emoticons pleased you oscarguy. oh, and i did mean vile. i guess i should have modified it to vileness, all the vileness that was being directed at me.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

rolo, I've got to ask...

You saw 'Rent'? And 'The Producers'? I love musicals, but you wouldn't catch me dead seeing one of those!

What are ya? A fookin' queen?!?

Edited By Sabin on 1166906146
"How's the despair?"
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

rolotomasi99:
i would call any male that likes show tunes a queen,

LOL

I think this is a funny statement, but also a bit offensive.

Show tunes are every bit musical art as swing or classical. I wouldn't go around calling fans "queens." Realizing you probably mean this affectionately, most of us on this board likely would forgive the silliness of such a label, but I can't say most people in the real world would. I have never been called a queen, although I have been referred to as a "fag," which is even more demeaning. It doesn't happen often, though, thankfully.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021

Return to “The 8th Decade”