Starring S. Youth

99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

Poor you!

I think tact is called for, and generally if you cannot enthuse about someone's success, best not to say anything at all.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, I'm sorry that I'm honest with friends. Next time, I'll wait for someont to ask (though they never will) for my opinion. Because quite frankly honesty is frowned upon on this board. We must always apply the "Everything's Coming Up Roses" approach. I may not like something someone appears in, but it does not mean that I cannot support them in it. If I lived in Sonic's neck of the woods, I'd even go to the performance despite my dislike of it because that's what friends do.

I had a friend who appeared in "A Midsummer Night's Dream" and I went to watch him in it despite ending up bored and disinterested with the production.

And since I rarely ever get "that's a great set of predictions, but here are some things I don't understand/like" and usually get "you're stupid for picking that", then I hardly feel I need to take criticism from anyone about the way I approached this. It's one of the few facets of American ways of thinking that drive me insane. We are forbidden from voicing our opinion because it might hurt someone's feelings...screw political correctness.

It's not like I was being vicious or mean like many people on this board have been lately. It was a simple statement of my opinion. I didn't say anything against Sonic himself nor did I say anything about the other people who voiced their like of the production.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1191337048
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

cam wrote:if you look back at your comments in this thread, you sort of denigrated sonic youth by some of your remarks. I don't think any one of us wants to know what you thought of the movie( your comment about the soundtrack), as his execitement has nothing to do with the film, and wonder if you have ever seen the show on stage.
I hope he does well. Who knows, maybe his stage career will blossom and we should encourage him all we can.

That's all right, cam. I don't think he meant to denigrate me.

Although essentially saying "Congratulations, although I don't think much of the show you're in" was pretty funny in an odd way. But I don't mind.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

OscarGuy wrote:But heaven forbid anyone state their opinion around here anymore.
LOL!
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, I'm sorry if it sounded like I was trying to be discouraging. I certainly had no intention of doing so. I'm glad he's excited about being in it and I didn't think my stating that I'm not a fan of the music was in any way disparaging to Sonic.

But heaven forbid anyone state their opinion around here anymore.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

if you look back at your comments in this thread, you sort of denigrated sonic youth by some of your remarks. I don't think any one of us wants to know what you thought of the movie( your comment about the soundtrack), as his execitement has nothing to do with the film, and wonder if you have ever seen the show on stage.
I hope he does well. Who knows, maybe his stage career will blossom and we should encourage him all we can.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

cam wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:Oddly enough, I like the film version better than I do the off-broadway recording. I think Rick Moranis, Vincent Gardenia and Steve Martin give their characters far more emotive qualities than those in the other recording. And thankfully they retained the brilliant Ellen Green who, had the show made Broadway, would have been a contender for Actress, I'd have hoped.

But, Wes, he is doing the STAGE show. It is considerably better than the movie, and way funnier. If you've just heard the sound-track....
OMG! Sonic's not making a movie?!? I had no idea...
Wesley Lovell
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

OscarGuy wrote:Oddly enough, I like the film version better than I do the off-broadway recording. I think Rick Moranis, Vincent Gardenia and Steve Martin give their characters far more emotive qualities than those in the other recording. And thankfully they retained the brilliant Ellen Green who, had the show made Broadway, would have been a contender for Actress, I'd have hoped.
But, Wes, he is doing the STAGE show. It is considerably better than the movie, and way funnier. If you've just heard the sound-track....
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

FilmFan720 wrote:For the record, I like the show. And I am very excited for you. It is a fun show to work on!

Do you know, are you renting the plants (I'm assuming you are). There are some awesome ones out there.
To answer your question:

Nope. We're designing and building our own Audrey II. After the show, we'll be the ones renting the plant out.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Luck. Late luck, but luck nonetheless. Haven't acted in anything in over ten years, but the bug never goes away. I envy you, young sir. Break that leg as it deserves to be broken.
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Thanks to all.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Break a leg, Sonic. I don't particularly remember anything about Vincent Gardenia in the film version -- in fact, I couldn't even remember who played Gravis Mushnick and had to look it up. But Mel Welles in the Roger Corman original gives a wonderful comic performance, one of the most spirited and funny Lower East Side ethnic characterizations ever. The character has great potential! In fact for years, in the 1970s, whenever I needed a pseudonymn for something, I'd choose Gravis Mushnick.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Oddly enough, I like the film version better than I do the off-broadway recording. I think Rick Moranis, Vincent Gardenia and Steve Martin give their characters far more emotive qualities than those in the other recording. And thankfully they retained the brilliant Ellen Green who, had the show made Broadway, would have been a contender for Actress, I'd have hoped.
Wesley Lovell
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

I'm no Broadway (or off-Broadway) buff, but it's one of my favorite shows. I really like the movie too, I don't care if it is Frank Oz who directed it. I know some don't like the ironic-send-up aspects of the show, but I always thought it was fun (proving how unseriously I take the American stage musical genre, I suppose). Seeing "Suddenly Seymour" performed on stage as a teenager would have to rank as one of those touchstone moments...

It sounds like a tremendously fun opportunity for you. Enjoy, and be sure to keep us updated!
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Thanks Filmfan. I've always liked the show.

We haven't even had our first read-through yet, so I don't know what we're doing about Audrey II, except that we'll have a master pupeteer who will oversee this aspect.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “General Off-Topic”